New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Jun 17, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #721 of 1,112
  Get the smsl m8. Wait for it to appear on massdrop. The smsl m8 uses es9018k2m chip which has high definition, supports dsd128 over pcm and will go well with the project. The arcam and dacmagic are dated and both due for a refresh! Also look at the smsl p1 as a future upgrade. What is your source? Have you explored DSD up sampling?

I'm familiar with that chip - I've had it in two cell phones, my Oppo HA-2 and my Dragonfly Red. Gosh, I really wanted to try something else, but I know it's more about the implementation :)

My source is just my desktop computer playing Tidal, so nothing elaborate. Never explored DSD up sampling. Honestly I was leaning toward the Micromega MyDac, but if you guys think this one is superior then I will give it a try. 

Thank you!

Forgot to mention, it's $225 on eBay new. Would MassDrop be less?

-Collin-

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #722 of 1,112

I'm familiar with that chip - I've had it in two cell phones, my Oppo HA-2 and my Dragonfly Red. Gosh, I really wanted to try something else, but I know it's more about the implementation :)

My source is just my desktop computer playing Tidal, so nothing elaborate. Never explored DSD up sampling. Honestly I was leaning toward the Micromega MyDac, but if you guys think this one is superior then I will give it a try. 

Thank you!

Forgot to mention, it's $225 on eBay new. Would MassDrop be less?

-Collin-

The Dragonfly uses the cheaper Es9016; but the oppo does indeed use the 9018. While true regarding the implementation there is a Sabre personality.  I have the M8 and found it more detailed than the Schiit Loki. I find DSD upsampling adds more dynamics to the music without losing the finer points of depth and separation. Make sure you have a good processor (CPU) to handle the processing  - need to score 2400 or more on Jriver benchmark. And then of course there are the issues of cables and jitter.

MassDrop recently sold the m8 for $160; and $150 before that.  They seem to do a run every 6 weeks? But the delivery can take some time.

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #723 of 1,112

The Dragonfly uses the cheaper Es9016; but the oppo does indeed use the 9018. While true regarding the implementation there is a Sabre personality.  I have the M8 and found it more detailed than the Schiit Loki. I find DSD upsampling adds more dynamics to the music without losing the finer points of depth and separation. Make sure you have a good processor (CPU) to handle the processing  - need to score 2400 or more on Jriver benchmark. And then of course there are the issues of cables and jitter.

MassDrop recently sold the m8 for $160; and $150 before that.  They seem to do a run every 6 weeks? But the delivery can take some time.

Note http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/smsl-m8-es9018k2m-24bit-384khz-dsd-dac-optical-coaxial-xmos-usb-asynchronous-decoder.html is doing the M8 for US$200 with free shipping.

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #724 of 1,112
I was getting USB noise with my properly grounded BCL clone amp with the M8.  The noise is not quite noticeable at normal listening volumes, but with the music stopped and the amp turned all the way up, I could hear the typical chirps and squeak from the computer.  I figured the noise is because the M8 is not grounded to earth (with the switching supply) and the noise is passed through to the amp.  With my O2 and xDuoo TA-02, the noise is not there because those amps are not connected to ground earth.  I contemplated building my own properly grounded linear supply, but happened upon a good deal on the P1 on ebay, with the bonus factor of matching aesthetics. 

I got the power supply yesterday, and it was labeled as the 240V version, although it came with a 125V power cord (without a ground pin no less!).  Checking the voltage, the 9V output measured 7.5V, so definitely a 240V version.  Googling turned up a picture of the internals showing the transformer is a double 115V primary.  I cracked open the base plate and lo and behold:

This is after modification.  The original one has a jumper between points 4 and 5 (per the red line).  It took all of 5 minutes to cut the jumper, desolder it, and solder in 2 new jumpers.

Popped in a 125V fuse:

The 9V output now measured 9.07V, perfect.

The USB noise is gone!  Soundwise, if there is a difference, I cannot tell.  Looks cool stacked on the M8 with an old Pentium 4 heatsink hat.

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #726 of 1,112
  I was getting USB noise with my properly grounded BCL clone amp with the M8.  The noise is not quite noticeable at normal listening volumes, but with the music stopped and the amp turned all the way up, I could hear the typical chirps and squeak from the computer.  I figured the noise is because the M8 is not grounded to earth (with the switching supply) and the noise is passed through to the amp.  With my O2 and xDuoo TA-02, the noise is not there because those amps are not connected to ground earth.  I contemplated building my own properly grounded linear supply, but happened upon a good deal on the P1 on ebay, with the bonus factor of matching aesthetics. 

I got the power supply yesterday, and it was labeled as the 240V version, although it came with a 125V power cord (without a ground pin no less!).  Checking the voltage, the 9V output measured 7.5V, so definitely a 240V version.  Googling turned up a picture of the internals showing the transformer is a double 115V primary.  I cracked open the base plate and lo and behold:

This is after modification.  The original one has a jumper between points 4 and 5 (per the red line).  It took all of 5 minutes to cut the jumper, desolder it, and solder in 2 new jumpers.

Popped in a 125V fuse:

The 9V output now measured 9.07V, perfect.

The USB noise is gone!  Soundwise, if there is a difference, I cannot tell.  Looks cool stacked on the M8 with an old Pentium 4 heatsink hat.

So you had to cut out the existing jumpers and add two new jumpers 4 to 5 and 3 to 6 or only the one shown by the red line as 4 to 5?

Jun 21, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #727 of 1,112
So you had to cut out the existing jumpers and add two new jumpers 4 to 5 and 3 to 6 or only the one shown by the red line as 4 to 5?

The original 230V configuration has a jumper between points 4 and 5, as indicated by the red line. Points 3 and 6 were open. The picture showed the board after modification to the 115V configuration.

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #731 of 1,112
Received my M8 from Massdrop last week.
I use it with my Squeezebox Touch (24/192) over coaxial, my CD player over optical and laptop over USB.
The DAC is still burning in and improving. I am very happy with the sound and the DAC in general so far.
On the Windows 7 laptop I am using JRiver software (MC 21).
I have installed the driver on the CD and ASIO4All.
I can only play DSD over WASAPI audio device. They play great and also correctly display DSD64 on the DAC.
However I can not play the DSD files if I choose ASIO as audio device.
Is this normal?
Anybody playing DSD with ASIO audio device selected on JRiver?
Any tips?

P.S. The official SMSL website http://www.smslaudio.com/ seems to be down. Do the have a new website?

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #732 of 1,112
Occasionally the P1 turns off and after a sec back on during playback.
Has happened 5-6 times so far,i thought maybe it was after many hours of being on (due to heat) but
the last couple of times happened 5 mins after i power it on

Has anyone had the same problem?

Btw how do you open it?I removed the screws but there is no way i can make it come off

Jul 1, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #733 of 1,112
  Received my M8 from Massdrop last week.
I use it with my Squeezebox Touch (24/192) over coaxial, my CD player over optical and laptop over USB.
The DAC is still burning in and improving. I am very happy with the sound and the DAC in general so far.
On the Windows 7 laptop I am using JRiver software (MC 21).
I have installed the driver on the CD and ASIO4All.
I can only play DSD over WASAPI audio device. They play great and also correctly display DSD64 on the DAC.
However I can not play the DSD files if I choose ASIO as audio device.
Is this normal?
Anybody playing DSD with ASIO audio device selected on JRiver?
Any tips?

P.S. The official SMSL website http://www.smslaudio.com/ seems to be down. Do the have a new website?

Try enabling "DSD bitstream in DoP format" in device settings. Oh, and set the Bitstreaming option to DSD.

Jul 1, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #734 of 1,112
After much reading just took a punt on the M8, been using a Dragonfly Red (9016) mostly of late very much like the sound signature on the go and will continue to use it on the go with an Iphone/Sure535.  But wanted a standalone DAC for home use been using the DF Red at home but re-amping it not ideal.

Should land tomorrow got the last one on UK amazon prime.

Mixture Tidal & Foobar > M8 > Gustard H10 (Full V5 Bursons) > LCD 2f & 702 annies.

I have no complaints with the Dragon Fly red but feel above is a cleaner solution.

Fingers and toes crossed,

Subbed..

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #735 of 1,112
  Try enabling "DSD bitstream in DoP format" in device settings. Oh, and set the Bitstreaming option to DSD.

Bitstreaming is already set to DSD.

If I choose ASIO audio device I get the warning "Playback could not be started on the output "ASIO" using the format "DSD 2.8MHz 2 ch." 

Enabling "DSD bitstream in DoP format" does not help, I get the same warning.

I can play DSD fine with WASAPI audio device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back