New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
May 21, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #693 of 1,112
I initially used my SMSL M8 with other devices and had mixed results, e.g. on my Synology DS415+ NAS it refused to play standard 16-bit 44.1KHz files, but played extracted DSD images (DFF files) with no problems and even DXD, and it did not work at all with my smartphone.  So I just use it properly with my Thinkpad laptop and foobar, and everything works perfectly.

May 26, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #697 of 1,112
My smsl m8 just stopped working. None of my devices recognize it: my PC running foobar2000,my LG G3 running usb audio player pro, and my LG tablet running usb audio player pro. I have done the usual diagnostics of powering on and off/unplugging/& swapping cables but all of my devices suddenly will not detect it. I would appreciate any tips since I'm totally frustrated right now. Don't know if I have a lemon, and if I do, how so no get it replaced. I bought it on Massdrop and I don't know their return policy.

May 26, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #698 of 1,112
Were the other devices connecting to it before it stopped working, or just the PC?  With the PC try reinstalling the USB driver after doing a full uninstall first. Does the M8 show anything on the display?

May 26, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #699 of 1,112
On the PC I uninstalled Foobar 2000, then reinstalled it but no joy. I then hooked it back up to my smartphone and tablet running usb audio player pro, but suddenly it Did not detect a usb device

May 26, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #700 of 1,112
My smsl m8 just stopped working. ... I bought it on Massdrop and I don't know their return policy.

My experience with Massdrop on returns for warranty issues has been stellar.

May 27, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #702 of 1,112
My smsl m8 just stopped working. None of my devices recognize it: my PC running foobar2000,my LG G3 running usb audio player pro, and my LG tablet running usb audio player pro. I have done the usual diagnostics of powering on and off/unplugging/& swapping cables but all of my devices suddenly will not detect it. I would appreciate any tips since I'm totally frustrated right now. Don't know if I have a lemon, and if I do, how so no get it replaced. I bought it on Massdrop and I don't know their return policy.

This seems like a consistant problem on SMSL products. Even my friend's Sanskrit Dac malfunctioned a few weeks back.

May 31, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #703 of 1,112
Just purchased one of these DAC's from Amazon.  I'll have it in two days -- can't wait.

Since the DAC has a built in 7805 voltage regulator to bring down the 9V DC to 5V DC, shouldn't I be able to get away with a non-regulated source DC supply?

If I can get a 6 1/2 volt or so transformer, after a 4 way bridge rectifier it will be about 9 volts.  Put some nice nichicon caps on the supply board ... then feed that unregulated power to the DAC? 

Would this make it less noisy having one less regulator in the path?  Or is this a bad idea?

May 31, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #705 of 1,112
Well if you read through this thread you'll notice the recommendation of a linear power supply many times -- that it sounds better.

So I want a linear power supply.  Maybe you'll be happy with the switching -- but I want to at least try a linear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back