New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Mar 31, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #91 of 1,112
About the japanese DC Filter:

The plug of the M8 is a 2.5/5.5mm the one of your filter is probably 2.1/5.5mm you should get a new plug and soldier it to the output of your filter (2.5mm) and reuse the output plug of your filter or buy a new one(2.1mm) for the M8 power supply out put cable...
// this is just an EMI filter, it will not add any capacitance nor regulate the medium grade power supply provided with the M8.

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #92 of 1,112
I have got the M8, and now listening to it.
Out of box it is surprising. it rivals against much more expensive units that I have had.
I bought it because I am a believer in the minimalist approach of the audio design like Burson audio, or Nelson Pass amp.
Those are low in induced noise due to feedback or due to complexity of circuitry.
In a sense that SMSL does not meet my opinion of minimalist but size of the PCB is minimum so that induced noise can be at least reduced.
The minimalist for the size....
Another thinking is that nowadays audio is overly specified in such that any choice might be exceed the recording standard quality.

My thought might justify this purchase and might allow me sell my expensive unit to make some room to move for better audio listening space.
I hope the weakest link of the dac ( power supplier) replacing might lead to another level of the performance.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #93 of 1,112
Stock power supply isn't bad at all, the SQ with USB is very good except some line noises.
This might be the limitation of the power stabilizer inside compact size of the housing.
What we hear is not only the signal but also the ripples of the resvoir of power that is capacitor bank.
Those ripples might cause jitter.

With Gustard U12 coaxial connection the line noises are gone.

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #95 of 1,112
I bought a pair 2.5mm to 2.1mm, and a 2.1mm to 2.5mm DC power adapter hooking up the Japanese DIY DC line filter to the SMSL M8.

I hear very slight reduction of harshness at 352kHz PCM play back, if not placebo...

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #96 of 1,112
Looks good.

A small unit might have greater sensitivity to RFI than a larger unit like NFB-1, or NFB-7.
This is reason why SMSL sells a power supply unit for M8 that has smaller capacity than Teradak.
In quiet location you can enjoy a good and declared resolution, but in electrically noisy location you might complain against.

The power cable can act as antenna which will be induced in several volts or more that makes ripple on the charge surface on the capacitor bank. That ripple might be modulated into the signal band of your music.

What is the difference from you large unit NFB-1?

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #97 of 1,112
Looks good.

What is the difference from you large unit NFB-1?

The M8 is hooked up to my tube amp in office, and the NFB-1 is hooked up to my EPA-007 at home, so I can't directly compare. I think the NFB-1 is still at 1 level better than the M8.

I think the M8 is comparable to my DX90 line out. With a bit better dynamic due to higher line out level.

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #98 of 1,112
I have had many dacs, and some of them is much more expnsive.
However I could not say noticeable difference.
As is usual case, the larger unit is less senitive to interference due to considerable size of power supply.
This means it is not sensitive to orientation or relative position,or connecting wires..
If you exchange two dacs, then you might know the reality.

For the same reason, M8 might be sensitive to USB cable quality or routing paths.
The coax connection through USB stabilizer like U12 of Gustard or other brand might help.
Usual SQ depends on the source that includes power / cable / noisy neighbours / fianlly DAC.

May 4, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #104 of 1,112
They did not show the internal components and circuit, whereas Teradak power supply declares the internals that shows very well designed one.
Or you can make some voltage stabilizer following low pass filter by attaching shunt capacitor of high value.
Of course low pass filter has the capacitor but it is not enough for that purpose.
This DAC with good power source will be not inferior to any dac that has much more price.

May 5, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #105 of 1,112
I tried P1+M8+VA2(an amp from SMSL) from a friend who just bought it in China, and tested the combo with a pair of HD 700s and LCD-2f's.

While the sound is very linear though leans to the warmer side a bit. Which I like. I think VA2 + M8 is a great combination and has the 1+1>2 magic. VA2 did a good job as a $100 amp.

More dynamic, and the sound has a noticeable increase in the sound details when M8 was powered by P1 compared to using the direct power supply. However I agree to you that the direct power supply is good enough.

I directly bought M8 after hearing my friends combination (I believe if the M8 is made by a renowned company, it can easily sell at $500+ as I am comparing it to Cambridge Dacmajic Plus and I actually prefer the M8; overall feeling cleaner and delivers details more accurately), while I had too many amps, did not go for the VA2 finally. I currently pair my M8 with a bottlehead crack, ummmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back