New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Dec 20, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #17 of 1,112
The unit comes with a nominal 500mA wall- wart power supply. The Dac itself draws just under 480mA. I did not have a suitable linear 9 Volt supply at hand, so I attached a supply from 8 AA NiMH batteries - nominally 9.6 Volts.

For those wishing to experience a worthwhile improvement on the performance of this DAC, I strongly suggest you try a similar power supply change.

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #18 of 1,112
Hmmm. I found this:

http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=64

9V 1A DC Linear Power Supply with some noise filters and whatnot. It also has a USB out for whatever other dacs you might use in the future. I did the steps and it comes out to $59 with $15 air mail shipping (EMS is $28). Pretty good price, and it seems like a great match for this dac.

EDIT: I don't recommend buying from here. I placed my order for one, and my sale has been on pending since Sunday (12/21/14). I also haven't gotten any response from my email. I'll wait it out until next monday, and if nothing has changed, then I'll have to file a claim.

EDIT2: Do not buy from here. I had to file a claim with paypal to get my money back.

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #21 of 1,112
Hey there Justven, hope you well.
Wanted to find out how the M8 has treated you so far?

I am looking to purchase one and would like some info on how it sounds and if you have had any issues
Thanks

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #25 of 1,112
I just got mine. It took 9 days from "senyuanbusiness" on EBay. Should have been no more than 6 days according to the ad but whatever.

I'm impressed! I've fed it 384/24 and DSD128 via ASIO and it's chewed thru it...no prob.:

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/trevorlj1/DSC01777_zpsf648215e.jpg

I was surprised by the little screen...it's pretty sweet.  They should have captured that in the press pics.

How does it sound? Awesome IMO! Nothing amazing but I have a Emotiva ERC-3 CD player here and a Cambridge DacMagic 100. I'm a fan of Emotiva but the AD1955 in the Emotiva is just dead...blah.  I've been listening to the DacMagic 100/Wolfson WM8742 and it's way better. Very dynamic and punchy.  Not apologetic but it's very forward and ticked off.  The M8/ESS9018 Sounds very similar to the DacMagic...just turned down a notch.  I think it's a hair better IMO...maybe a little clearer too.  Still trying to decide.

Now to decide if this is good enough or do I want to go for a Schiit Gungnir.  My wife's gonna kill me!
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #28 of 1,112
I've done a lot of A-B'ing with the DacMagic 100/Wolfson WM8742 and I've got to say I like the DacMagic better than the M8 for 44.1kHz from a CD transport. The big discriminator is I feel the soundstage on the DacMagic is much more enveloping.  Instruments have more separation and presence.  It's a little more smooth than the M8 too with 44.1kHz (not quite as "digital" sounding).

I had kinda written off the M8 as something I'd only use for 352.8kHz/384khz/DSD (of which there's very little to be found)...that was until I downloaded my first high res audio of something I'm very familiar with (Rush's Sector One box set in 96/24).  It gets pretty poor reviews as far as high res goes but whatever...I wanted to check it out.  Well the DacMagic wore me out and gave me a headache by the end of 2112.  The cymbals (and most of the treble) were just WAY too aggressive...lots of sizzle and the smoothness I enjoyed from CD's was gone.  I switched to "The Fountain of Lamneth" and it was more of the same.  As soon as it started the acoustic guitar intro was just wrong...way too hot.  I A-B'ed with the M8 (set to "FAST") and the SMSL was/is more enjoyable to listen to with the 96/24.  Smoother and not fatiguing.  I think it's just much better suited to high res.

So yeah...(relatively) cheap DACs...whatta mixed bag!

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #29 of 1,112
I've done a lot of A-B'ing with the DacMagic 100/Wolfson WM8742 and I've got to say I like the DacMagic better than the M8 for 44.1kHz from a CD transport. The big discriminator is I feel the soundstage on the DacMagic is much more enveloping.  Instruments have more separation and presence.  It's a little more smooth than the M8 too with 44.1kHz (not quite as "digital" sounding).

I had kinda written off the M8 as something I'd only use for 352.8kHz/384khz/DSD (of which there's very little to be found)...that was until I downloaded my first high res audio of something I'm very familiar with (Rush's Sector One box set in 96/24).  It gets pretty poor reviews as far as high res goes but whatever...I wanted to check it out.  Well the DacMagic wore me out and gave me a headache by the end of 2112.  The cymbals (and most of the treble) were just WAY too aggressive...lots of sizzle and the smoothness I enjoyed from CD's was gone.  I switched to "The Fountain of Lamneth" and it was more of the same.  As soon as it started the acoustic guitar intro was just wrong...way too hot.  I A-B'ed with the M8 (set to "FAST") and the SMSL was/is more enjoyable to listen to with the 96/24.  Smoother and not fatiguing.  I think it's just much better suited to high res.

So yeah...(relatively) cheap DACs...whatta mixed bag!

Thanks for the detail review, but seems DacMagic 100 is much higher in price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back