New Loaner Program - TEAC UD-505 Headphone amp and DAC!
Dec 28, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #31 of 82
Dec 28, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #32 of 82
Forthcoming. In a nutshell, perfect implementation of dual '97 DAC, great menu system, deep, rich, sophisticated sound. Couldn't get bluetooth to work, absolute joy to listen to.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #33 of 82
Forthcoming. In a nutshell, perfect implementation of dual '97 DAC, great menu system, deep, rich, sophisticated sound. Couldn't get bluetooth to work, absolute joy to listen to.
I agree. I love it. Couldn't believe how much better the DAC is to the Burson Conductor and even my old Vinshine R2R.

Was there a difference single ended versus balanced with your headphones? Trying to decide if I buy one whether or not I need a balanced cable for my Clears and Ether Cs. I didn't get a chance to try it balanced.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #34 of 82
I agree. I love it. Couldn't believe how much better the DAC is to the Burson Conductor and even my old Vinshine R2R.

Was there a difference single ended versus balanced with your headphones? Trying to decide if I buy one whether or not I need a balanced cable for my Clears and Ether Cs. I didn't get a chance to try it balanced.
I tried SE with a silver/copper hybrid. It is a stock cable for Susvara, and it sounded absolutely fantastic. For balanced out I have my Moon Audio Black Dragon copper, and it sounds fantastic... both of those with my Hifiman 1Kv1. The IEM.s used only balanced out.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #35 of 82
I tried SE with a silver/copper hybrid. It is a stock cable for Susvara, and it sounded absolutely fantastic. For balanced out I have my Moon Audio Black Dragon copper, and it sounds fantastic... both of those with my Hifiman 1Kv1. The IEM.s used only balanced out.
So, no difference in sound quality between them?

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #36 of 82
So, no difference in sound quality between them?
Well, the difference would be the standard differences between SE and Balanced; yes, the balanced was more dynamic, and 'cleaner'; but the SE had a certain 'musicality' to it that rendered the balanced out somewhat 'analytical', but at the same time the SE out had a silver/copper hybrid which opened up the high end and made the SE sound 'cleaner'. Again, both sounded fantastic, and there was more than enough power to drive the SE.

Jan 2, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #37 of 82

Could I ask which Vinshine you compared it with and which amp were you using for that compare? I’m a real R2R sound lover (I have an MHDT DAC with a tube amp) but I also have a Sony Walkman 507 that stays in the digital world like the Teac. Sure my desktop system has a much better overall sound (at 3 times the cost) but I’d really like to know a bit more detail from your experience with the Teac vs Vinshine. Many thanks.

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #38 of 82
Could I ask which Vinshine you compared it with and which amp were you using for that compare? I’m a real R2R sound lover (I have an MHDT DAC with a tube amp) but I also have a Sony Walkman 507 that stays in the digital world like the Teac. Sure my desktop system has a much better overall sound (at 3 times the cost) but I’d really like to know a bit more detail from your experience with the Teac vs Vinshine. Many thanks.
I owned the Vinshine R2R Reference DAC and used it as my main DAC for about 2 yrs. It was the precursor to the Denafrips stuff as far as I know. It had a Soekris Board in it with 2 fantastic power supplies. As far as amps, I compared the Teac to a Burson Conductor 3XP and a Cembalo Spring 1. The Cembalo is my main amp. As far as sound comparisons, I preferred the Teac to any DAC I've owned. It's dual mono configuration, clocking and power supplies make it an extremely musical and detailed piece. As a DAC the sound is balanced, smooth and extremely detailed. The Vinshine was just as smooth and had a euphonic characteristic that bests the Teac. However, the Teac is way more extended and the better DAC to my ears. As a headphone amp it mimics the DAC and was wonderful. It doesn't beat my Cembalo Spring 1, but I wasn't expecting it to. I have yet to hear an amp under $4000 that sounds better than my Cembalo. I also love R2R DACs, but don't feel the Teac is any less a product. I haven't heard everything in it's price range and I haven't heard the MHDT stuff. If you went with the Teac I would recommend an Ifi Micro iTube Buffer in between your DAC and AMP. That would give you that Tube feel without losing the detail and benefit of the Teac. The Teac has an incredible sense of rhythm and pace. I haven't heard an R2R in that price range with the same sense of PRAT.

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #39 of 82
I owned the Vinshine R2R Reference DAC and used it as my main DAC for about 2 yrs. It was the precursor to the Denafrips stuff as far as I know. It had a Soekris Board in it with 2 fantastic power supplies. As far as amps, I compared the Teac to a Burson Conductor 3XP and a Cembalo Spring 1. The Cembalo is my main amp. As far as sound comparisons, I preferred the Teac to any DAC I've owned. It's dual mono configuration, clocking and power supplies make it an extremely musical and detailed piece. As a DAC the sound is balanced, smooth and extremely detailed. The Vinshine was just as smooth and had a euphonic characteristic that bests the Teac. However, the Teac is way more extended and the better DAC to my ears. As a headphone amp it mimics the DAC and was wonderful. It doesn't beat my Cembalo Spring 1, but I wasn't expecting it to. I have yet to hear an amp under $4000 that sounds better than my Cembalo. I also love R2R DACs, but don't feel the Teac is any less a product. I haven't heard everything in it's price range and I haven't heard the MHDT stuff. If you went with the Teac I would recommend an Ifi Micro iTube Buffer in between your DAC and AMP. That would give you that Tube feel without losing the detail and benefit of the Teac. The Teac has an incredible sense of rhythm and pace. I haven't heard an R2R in that price range with the same sense of PRAT.
Never got what PRaT means....

Jan 2, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #40 of 82
Never got what PRaT means....
I get that. I am far from an expert at understanding DACs and Amps. What do you need for your system? Mainly a DAC or an all in one?

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #41 of 82
Wow thanks a lot, very good and useful info.

Jan 2, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #42 of 82
Wow thanks a lot, very good and useful info.
Welcome. Good luck! I will eventually buy the UD-505 and Master Clock. I can't see myself going any other direction in the near future.

Jan 7, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #43 of 82
I'm a bit lost as to where we are at in the tour. There hasn't been much action or reviewing. Is everyone enjoying the UD-505? Anxious to hear how everyone describes it and what similarities and differences there are.

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #44 of 82
I'm a bit lost as to where we are at in the tour. There hasn't been much action or reviewing. Is everyone enjoying the UD-505? Anxious to hear how everyone describes it and what similarities and differences there are.
You bet, can't wait to read more feedback on this baby!

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #45 of 82
That’s my fault, I had to ask to be skipped and probably threw off the process a touch. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back