New Loaner Program - TEAC UD-505 Headphone amp and DAC!
Mar 23, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #76 of 82
Really enjoyed your review. So interesting to read how other people hear a piece that I own and listen to every day without time constraints. Also, having participated in this tour and written a review it is great to learn and realize how much my reviews miss and need.

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #77 of 82
Really enjoyed your review. So interesting to read how other people hear a piece that I own and listen to every day without time constraints. Also, having participated in this tour and written a review it is great to learn and realize how much my reviews miss and need.
Thank you for the kind words. The Teac is a really fine piece of gear, which flies under the radar, unfortunately.

Todd does a great job exposing our niche to some fine gear that may not get much notoriety (but deserves it), otherwise. I really appreciate that from him.

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #78 of 82
Thank you for the kind words. The Teac is a really fine piece of gear, which flies under the radar, unfortunately.

Todd does a great job exposing our niche to some fine gear that may not get much notoriety (but deserves it), otherwise. I really appreciate that from him.
I agree.

Mar 25, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #79 of 82
Hi All,

The UD-505 is off to the last participant that is signed up. If anyone interested in owning one of these would like to audition it please sign up now for the loaner program. Once it is back in my hands I will close the loaner for the UD-505. So LAST CALL to audition the UD-505!

Todd

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #80 of 82
Hi All,

The tour has been completed and the loaner will be going on sale in our used gear sale tomorrow for $1300. If you want it before I get it up on the site, give me a call at 406-285-3910.

Todd

May 31, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #81 of 82
Curious if any of you are using this mainly for its preamp? Already have a topping D90 that I'm happy with. Being the dual mono design I'm wondering if the preamp would be a great match for my ATC P1 Pro Poweramp which is also a dual mono design. Of course I'm talking for my two channel listening room rather than a headphone setup which I keep separate

Should also have mentioned that my amplifier has XLR inputs that I would connect to the XLR outputs of the UD-505. Currently using an Onkyo P-3000R preamp with my topping D90. It sounds really good but is single-ended only. I know that opens up a whole other discussion of how important going to balanced is. But ATC that builds my amp says balanced is a highly preferable connection. Ideally some of you would have listened to both of these preamps to give a comparison. I know the odds of that are not great but it's worth a try

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #82 of 82
Thanks very much Todd, for running this program. It was very useful to read all your comments & reviews.

I've just upgraded my UD-501 to the 505, based partly on what I read here (thanks), it arrived today and I'm enjoying it already.

I'm currently running it XLR to my HA-501, driving 150 Ohm HD660S. It sounds wonderful.

But I'm wondering: would it make more sense to sell my HA-501, and just use the amp in the 505, via the balanced 4.4mm jack?

I suspect the HA-501 true Class A may be better, with 1.4W per channel, albeit with only unbalanced 6.3mm jack, but perhaps not much?

I have tried to compare, but don't hear much of any difference. It doesn't help that it takes a while to change the connectors on the HD660S.

Would appreciate any thoughts, thank you.

PS annoyed by the small changes in design from 501 to 505, so now the new DAC doesn't quite match the old HA. e.g. change in wing colour, logo changed from black to transparent embossed, OLED orange to blue, model number location change, control knob size & design, lack of printed volume scale etc. Minor issues, but annoying 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back