[New]Little Dot MK IV Pictures
Apr 17, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #16 of 79
That amp is a beauty. I'm impressed. I'm anxious to see the price...not that I'd want one of course.
600smile.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #18 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aren't sovtek's generally regarded as cheap/not very good tubes? i saw the the sovtek logo and went
rolleyes.gif
. Maybe i'm wrong though, and probably am. i'm basing this only on me saying on another thread "why is my tube humming" and someone responding "because you're using a sovtek".

Relatively, russian tubes (including Sovtek) are a step up from Chinese tubes. They are often regarded as one of the best tubes in the world of tubes. If you can get a genuine Soviet military tubes, don't be surprised if it survives a nuclear blast.
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #20 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to let you guys test this possibly unreliable "hot" new product.

I'm skeptical as well... LD is known for their amazing price/performance ratio, but this looks like it's got a lot of bling attached. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the league of Woo3 or even the HEED pricewise, and that, unlike the $150 tube-amp, is a very competitive market. Regardless of initial impressions, I'm waiting for "Mk4++ turbo i v2" to come out first...
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #21 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm skeptical as well... LD is known for their amazing price/performance ratio, but this looks like it's got a lot of bling attached. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the league of Woo3 or even the HEED pricewise, and that, unlike the $150 tube-amp, is a very competitive market. Regardless of initial impressions, I'm waiting for "Mk4++ turbo i v2" to come out first...
evil_smiley.gif

I agree, once the price gets into the $300+ level, it will have a lot of competitions.

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #22 of 79
I'm wondering if the IV will be a true parallel product line, like LDIII is. Now it just looks like a tidied up LD2(+,++). My guess is that they will phase out the problematic LD2 line eventually.

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #23 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, once the price gets into the $300+ level, it will have a lot of competitions.

It will have to, I think. The LDII++ is at $180 shipped, I can't imagine the Mk4 being sold below $250 because frankly no one is going to buy the LDII++ then (all that bling is more than worth $70, I think). So it'll have to be at least somewhere close to $300. But then wouldn't it be competing against the LDIII? And given all the functionalities of the LDIII, I can't imagine someone choosing the Mk4 instead. I don't know, the more I think about this the less sense it makes. If it's priced significantly higher than $300 (say, $450), then it will have to beat out a number of very strong competitions (HEED, Woo6) in order for it to be sold at any appreciable volume.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if the IV will be a true parallel product line, like LDIII is. Now it just looks like a tidied up LD2(+,++). My guess is that they will phase out the problematic LD2 line eventually.

They can't. The reason that LD is successful is because it has no competition in its price range ($150 tube amps), unless they are willing to sell the Mk4 at LDII prices (unlikely), they will not have the kind of success they do now. If I have $150 and want a tube amp, I have no choice but LD, but if I have $400 and want a tube amp, I may or may not choose a LD. Y'know what I mean?

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #25 of 79
Apr 17, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #26 of 79
Wow, I like the toggle switches where one of the options says "EF92". It would be nice to use all the driver tubes I've already collected for my LD2+ and LD2++.

I'd really love to know the price.

Apr 17, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #28 of 79
My first reaction was WOW! But then I went back again because I just felt that something wasn't quite right. Maybe it's just me, but I think what's bothering me is the rounded edges. It's somehow more cute than tough. I'm wondering if straighter lines and angles aren't better for tubes. It's almost as though simpler lines accentuate and highlight the roundness of the tubes. This amp seems almost over-designed, with the eyes roving from feature to feature instead of feasting on a central theme or feel. I guess I like simple with impact instead of busy and cute. I may be totally off-base here so I'll apologize ahead of time just in case I've ruffled some feathers. Who knows, maybe I'll get used to it and end up really liking it.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #30 of 79
The red thing locks the headphone plug into the jack.

The front tube is a Western Electric 403B, which is the same as the 403A, EF95, 6AK5, EF96, M8100, and 5654. I may be missing a one or two, but you get what I'm trying to say.

It uses the same small tube as the Darkvoice 332, but the larger tubes are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back