New listening impressions of Stax C32 prototype and Shipping SR-009
Jun 8, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #886 of 1,514

Quote:
 The sound stage of SR009 is excellent although not up to the HE90 or Qualia (SR Omega is also bigger but imaging more diffuse)
the sound was more full , a little bit more coloured  but it hold its own place as one of the greatest headphone for vocal.
    For me I will rank like this (from first to not first, I don't want to use last) : Qualia R10,  HE90. SR009= R10, SR omega,   Grado HP2/HP1000 > O2 mkI

Once your bass light R10 is landed, it will likely supplant the Qualia from being the best headphones in vocal in your setup.  In my experience, the best vocal I've heard belongs to the bass light R10, following by bass heavier R10, and the HE90, respectively.  I also own the Qualia but I prefer the midrange of the HE90 to them.  The HD800 also renders the midrange very nicely as well.  What is the serial number of your R10s?  Details and sense of air in recordings will also go up another notch on the basslight R10 at the expense of being bass deficient.  

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #887 of 1,514
I have in my home a Stax SR-009 / Stax Amp SRM-007t2 and compared against my Sennheiser HD800 / DNA Sonnet. My source is a Logitech Squeezebox / Lavry DA11 DAC.

I tried all types of music: Acoustic, Alternative Rock, Metal, Electronic Pop, Contemporary and Vocal Jazz, etc.

The sound is very different between the 2 configurations. The Senn HD800 have a more laidback midrange but a little more peak in treble, harsh with some recordings. The Stax have a more present midrange and is much more intimate with vocals. Treble on the Stax rig is about perfect for me, incisive but not harsh and bass is fuller and have more impact. Senn HD800 have a more tight bass but is a little on the dry side.

No matter what kind of music I played the Stax was always more involving and musical.

In the end I will buy the Stax gear and put to sell my Senn HD800 / DNA Sonnet.

Anyone have tried some mods on the Amp SRM-007t2 ?...Probably I will try change tubes for now, but there is any other easy mods, like a aftermarket PSU ?

Thank you,

Nuno

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #888 of 1,514

Quote:
The BHSE is brighter/sharper than the WES (which is good for the 007 since some claim the 007 being too "polite"). Not sure if it will be an advantage for the 009.

One thing about the BH (heard n3rling's for a few times) is that isn't necessarily a brighter amp. For example, the tonal balance of the SR-Omega was similar between the BH and SRM323; the 507 sounded much more sedate up top from the BH compared to the SRM323; and with the O2s, it seemed to be the other way around.

It's wierd. The BH seems to have some kind of will of it's own. I'm not exactly sure how the stats work - maybe the resident experts could chime in.

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #889 of 1,514
I must say I'm a bit worried about the SR-009's brightness after receiving the latest version of the SR-007Mk2 SZ3-XXXX (the mk2.5 as we often call it).  Compared to the Mk1 and early 007A SZ2-xxxx it is painfully bright and far too forward for its own good.  If the SR-009 is anything like this then I'll get rid of it quickly.  The SR-007 I can fix simply my swapping in my spare Mk1 drivers but the SR-009 fix would involve custom fabricating new diaphragm retainer rings and then stretching my own film....

Quote:
How does the WES fare against the BHSE? If there is a difference in quality, is the difference big or small?

I have indeed said quite a bit about this and for me the WES is by no means a high end amp.  It is just a butchered GES where all the fine points of the design are missed so you end up with this mess that is just expensive.  Before I heard the WES I knew there were major problems with the design and listening only confirmed that.  It's a dull, flat and lifeless amp that is embarrassed by much cheaper units. 

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #890 of 1,514
Hi spritzer, do you have any pictures of the drivers in the SR007 and the new mk2? What do you propose is the cause of the sound change? Are you receiving the SR-009 soon so we can learn about its construction?

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #893 of 1,514
Once your bass light R10 is landed, it will likely supplant the Qualia from being the best headphones in vocal in your setup.  In my experience, the best vocal I've heard belongs to the bass light R10, following by bass heavier R10, and the HE90, respectively.  I also own the Qualia but I prefer the midrange of the HE90 to them.  The HD800 also renders the midrange very nicely as well.  What is the serial number of your R10s?  Details and sense of air in recordings will also go up another notch on the basslight R10 at the expense of being bass deficient 

I will have my MDR R10 bass light this week .  the S/N is 474.   I will also have the O2 mkII and the symphones magnum.
My MDR R10 bass heavy version serial number is 1038
To me midrange of HE90 is excellent, however I still prefer the Qualia by quite a margin
it is mellow to me but not too bright while the HE90  is more neutral.  The bass heavy R10
has an awesome midrange but may be too forward for me (I don't say that it is forward , it's
only relative) so the qualia goes to the top of my list.  I haven't heard the bass light R10 yet,
so no comment here.

I also think the Aristaeus amplifier with tube rolling may be more suitable with the SR009 but that's just
speculation.

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #894 of 1,514
My bass light R10 and O2 mkII with the 4070 will arrive soon.
Hope that I can get the real bass light R10 although the serial number suggested.
I will be busy with those again.
Qualia 010 still is the King of vocal sweet music.  Again I will try them with the PS1,
HP1/HP1000, HP2/HP1000 as well as the zebrawood mod PS1000by Larry.
JVC DX1000 and L3000 balanced will sneak in from time to time

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #895 of 1,514
There may be some good news that my new Balancing will come this month and I have prepared
all the tube rolling for that.  I hope this can bring the best out of R10, Qualia, HD800, LCD2, HE5,6
L3000 or even the AKG K1000.
Another much better and exciting breaking news is that we may able to get a new ( claimed to be the best) excellent
electrostatic amplifier  from a reliable, respectful builder and senior head-fier which will be
available in July and this is expected to beat the BHSE hands down.    It will use four 300B's tubes, 2 premium
grade 6SN7's ( I do have marconi B65, Fivre 6SN7 GT, Swedish Standard, Tungsol RGBP, ECC 32, ECC33,
ECC34, ECC34, Brimar CV 1988/6SN7GT , RCA 5692 redbase, sylvania 6SN7W metal base), the rectifier tubes is
5AR4 and 6SL6.  When the time  comes we can compare all the stax esp. 009, Omega ,O2mkI, O2mkII (coming), HE90, HE60
What else do you want in the best possible setup using the same source which can directly compare A/B between
alll these phonse, it will be fun to know.  BTW the DIY T2 is also not far before it is finished.   But I think  we need a group effort
here to formulate what is the best headphone, what is the best buy headphone, what is the best affordable headphoe etc.  Which
amplifier or portable one will be more compatible with this headphones   etc etc.

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #896 of 1,514

Quote:
I must say I'm a bit worried about the SR-009's brightness after receiving the latest version of the SR-007Mk2 SZ3-XXXX (the mk2.5 as we often call it).  Compared to the Mk1 and early 007A SZ2-xxxx it is painfully bright and far too forward for its own good.  If the SR-009 is anything like this then I'll get rid of it quickly.  The SR-007 I can fix simply my swapping in my spare Mk1 drivers but the SR-009 fix would involve custom fabricating new diaphragm retainer rings and then stretching my own film....

I think if you're used to the O2, you'll find them bright. They remind me more of Lambdas.  I had my system tuned more for the LCD-2s so everything is a tad much for me sometimes.

Quote:

Anyone have tried some mods on the Amp SRM-007t2 ?...Probably I will try change tubes for now, but there is any other easy mods, like a aftermarket PSU ?

Get some Herbies tube dampers.

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #897 of 1,514
I've have never subscribed to the idea that one gets used to a certain sound and it's hard to break away when something different enters the picture.  I have a clear sonic picture of what I find neutral in my head so when I try something new, that's what I compare against.  Sure, back in the day I was swayed temporarily that something sounded "better" simply due to inexperience but it never lasted long and now it never happens at all.  Take this SR-007 Mk2 for instance, all leading edges at certain FR ranges are hyped up which gives the effect of a higher pitch.  It's not a pleasant effect and also far from subtle even with the SRM-323S. 

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #899 of 1,514

Quote:
I've have never subscribed to the idea that one gets used to a certain sound and it's hard to break away when something different enters the picture.  I have a clear sonic picture of what I find neutral in my head so when I try something new, that's what I compare against.  Sure, back in the day I was swayed temporarily that something sounded "better" simply due to inexperience but it never lasted long and now it never happens at all.  Take this SR-007 Mk2 for instance, all leading edges at certain FR ranges are hyped up which gives the effect of a higher pitch.  It's not a pleasant effect and also far from subtle even with the SRM-323S. 

I think that this is due to the bump somewhere around 8kHz in this phone. In this respect the Mk1 is better although I don't find one significantly better or worse than the other.

How does the SRM-323S compare to the 717?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back