New listening impressions of Stax C32 prototype and Shipping SR-009
Mar 23, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #451 of 1,514

Quote:

I refused to endure the long wait for a KGSS, and a possible loss on the amp, for what may have be just "OK" sound

I don't know what your views are on buying used amps, but this is where buying used can be a good value.  You could have bought one used, tried it, and if you didn't like it turn around and sell it for the same price.  If you were to buy it new, then yes, you would probably have taken a loss on the amp when selling.
I've been lucky enough to have done this with a few things, and it's a great way to try something without loosing a lot of money.

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #453 of 1,514

Quote:

I just don't believe they're sound can be so good with the WES, or BHSE, as to justify the high cost of those systems (except for the most obsessive / compulsive)... and... I've seen no comments that maintain they do.  In fact, most comments I've seen in that regard suggest... "we'll you can't expect their sound to improve proportionate to their high cost, nothing in audio does"... or... "I like the LCD-2's, or HE-6's better," or whatever.   That's just not good enough for me.  I need much more than that, if I'm going to spend $5,000+ 

I think that the BHSE + SR-007 is considered one of the best if not THE best headphone system in Head-Fi. Every person who has heard one speaks with high praise. Only one or two people seem to prefer LCD-2 or HE-6 systems over this combo...

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #454 of 1,514

Quote:
I refused to endure the long wait for a KGSS, and a possible loss on the amp, for what may have be just "OK" sound (from the comments I've seen), which may be no better (or not much better) than my dynamic setups, which are great.   I also believe, that very few have heard many lesser phones properly matched to sources and amps to compare to the Stax setups - and, they have never really heard the true sound of those lesser setups, which compare very well to the Stax setups - just as I haven't heard the O2's with the WES, or BHSE to understand how great they may sound with those amps.   
I just don't believe they're sound can be so good with the WES, or BHSE, as to justify the high cost of those systems (except for the most obsessive / compulsive)... and... I've seen no comments that maintain they do.  In fact, most comments I've seen in that regard suggest... "we'll you can't expect their sound to improve proportionate to their high cost, nothing in audio does"... or... "I like the LCD-2's, or HE-6's better," or whatever.   That's just not good enough for me.  I need much more than that, if I'm going to spend $5,000+ 

Waiting for a consensus on an audio forum before you make up your mind is like waiting for the world to decide who's the one true God before you adopt a religion.

And why are you posting so vehemently about gear that you've never heard? Yes, the O2 in the wrong rig can sound bad. We already said that. Now you know it. Clearly, if we were right about that, the conclusion to draw from it is that we're wrong about everything else?

Also... if you don't have any patience, you'll never own a truly high-end system. The more transparent a transducer gets, the more it reveals problems in your signal path. Given the state of the hobby today, dumping a truckload of money into your system blindly will not guarantee good results. You'll need to educate yourself, make smart decisions, and use your own ears.

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #455 of 1,514

Quote:
Well... most would disagree with you - I've seen far more posts to the contrary.  I've seen no posts, which suggest the GES is adequate to properly drive the O2's, and your one opinion, should not be regarded as "the facts," just your opinion. 

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #456 of 1,514
@grado fan: my 2 cents worth:
1. I mocked around with electro-dynamic headphones for 10 years to realize I was at home with Stax gear.
2. I needed to upgrade my source before I could realize this.
3. In direct a/b, the o2mk2 / 727a combo is clearly better than hd800 / p1u ( one of the better amps that synergizes well with the hd800 ). So much so this what made me purchase the stax set and then sell all my other stuff.
4. Fwiw, I tried the 007t2 on the same day and systematically preferred the 727a.
5. Regardless of what's being said about the stock 727, it does not sound bad to these ears.

I know that nobody speaks the truth but I sincerely feel you have not been lucky in your sampling of stax gear.

Now, the sr009 is indeed truly expensive, but also, it will further deepen the gap with the rest of the crowd... (driven by a "lowly" stock 727 ).

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #457 of 1,514
Dear Warp08,

Wow, what an impressive array of the top of the line cans of all types and brands.   If anyone has a lead on how to get one of those Sennheiser custom wood stands in mint condition, please shoot me a PM.

Please PM me.

I think he  still has several Sennheiser's Fournier Wood custom headphone stands left.  I think the remaining  were in
natural wood colour (instead of black) which are rarer and more beautiful than those but probably more expensive.  He have
them new , not mint condition.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #458 of 1,514
Gradofan2: By your logic, nobody should try any TOTL dynamic headphones unless they are going to buy an Apex Pinnacle.

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #459 of 1,514
Quote:
Gradofan2: By your logic, nobody should try any TOTL dynamic headphones unless they are going to buy an Apex Pinnacle.

Also, by his logic, anyone who can't swing the extra few grad to buy the "proper" amp is apparently just a foolish peasant, in over his head and out of his league because apparently only money can buy happiness, knowledge, and respect among your peers.

Happiness also has a one year wait list.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #461 of 1,514

Quote:

Actually... that is not the case at all - it's all about "matching" the source and amp to whatever phones you may use - not about the cost of the source and amp. 

My modded "new version" HD580's with my Monarchy M24 DAC and inexpensive Millett MiniMAX sounded a bit better than my Stax 507's and 007 MKII's when driven by the 007t II, in virtually all respects.  And... as I recall, they sounded as good, or better, out of the Solo I had as well.    Obviously, the 007t MKII, was not a good match with the 507's and 007 MKII's (though it was better with the 507's than the 007 MKII's... and... there are multiple posts, that report the stock 727 and KGSS are not the best matches with them either). 

So... with regard to, at least, the 007 MKII's... you're still talking $4,000-$5,000+ to "get there" (with the possible exception of "lucking onto" a 717, or modding a 727).   IF... you're prepared to spend that amount of money... fine... you may find, for you, that the 007's may be "as good as it gets."  But... for others that's not likely to be dramatically better than a well matched dynamic setup, which costs far less. 

I'd rather "get there" for a lot less with various dynamic, or even orthodynamic, phones... with... the "matching" (not expensive) sources and amps. 

EDIT:  By the term "matching" I refer to matching the "electrical properties" of phones to a setup (i.e. impedance, current requirements, voltage requirements, efficiency, etc.) - not, "mating," or "adapting" their sound qualities to "EQ" the sound to your preferences (mating a warm amp with bright phones, etc.) - there's a HUGE difference, which many, perhaps most, have never experienced.  It requires quite a bit of experience / trial and error, and/or exceptional knowledge of the electrical properties of various components. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #462 of 1,514
>it's all about "matching" the source and amp to whatever phones you may use ... My modded "new version" HD580's with my Monarchy M24 DAC and inexpensive Millett MiniMAX sounded a bit better than

mmm, probably about personal preferences as well WRT what you want to hear from it. In other words 'sounded "a bit better"'

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #463 of 1,514
After playing the "matching" game for a while in the dynamic world, I have to say it usually ends up being a lot more expensive than going for a Stax setup. Can´t comment on the O2 as I´ve never heard one, but Lambda rigs aren´t that expensive and neither are they that picky when it comes to amplification. A SR-507/407 + 006tII/SRM-600/SRM-323 combo will easily outperform a HD 800/LCD-2 in my opinion. A dynamic driver just can´t provide the same type of sound, no matter what magic amplifier one is running.

Personally I don´t think any amount of system matching will change the basic sound signature of a headphone, unless the amp used is seriously colored. And in that case it´s still just a matter of trying to add more inaccuracies on top of an already flawed headphone. It´s more of a hobby: the need to tweak things, feel "huge" mostly imaginary improvements etc. While some system matching is of course a valid need, but in general I think it´s mostly just another audiophile myth. Just look at the amount of gear the average Head-Fier goes through looking for a dynamic rig that he or she likes enough to be genuinely happy with... It´s not a pretty sight.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #464 of 1,514

Quote:
After playing the "matching" game for a while in the dynamic world, I have to say it usually ends up being a lot more expensive than going for a Stax setup. Can´t comment on the O2 as I´ve never heard one, but Lambda rigs aren´t that expensive and neither are they that picky when it comes to amplification. A SR-507/407 + 006tII/SRM-600/SRM-323 combo will easily outperform a HD 800/LCD-2 in my opinion. A dynamic driver just can´t provide the same type of sound, no matter what magic amplifier one is running.

Personally I don´t think any amount of system matching will change the basic sound signature of a headphone, unless the amp used is seriously colored. And in that case it´s still just a matter of trying to add more inaccuracies on top of an already flawed headphone. It´s more of a hobby: the need to tweak things, feel "huge" mostly imaginary improvements etc. While some system matching is of course a valid need, but in general I think it´s mostly just another audiophile myth. Just look at the amount of gear the average Head-Fier goes through looking for a dynamic rig that he or she likes enough to be genuinely happy with... It´s not a pretty sight.

This is not entirely true.  A very well design dynamic drivers are capable of sounding just as good if not better than Stats as well.  For example, my balanced apuresound HD800 out of Headamp Gilmore Reference sounds extremely good even next to my Orpheus system.  It certainly sounds better than the Baby O and O2 + KGSS right that I've tried awhile back.    

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #465 of 1,514
>Personally I don´t think any amount of system matching will change the basic sound signature of a headphone, unless the amp used is seriously colored. And in that case it´s still just a matter of trying to add more inaccuracies on top of an already flawed headphone.

+1 for the first part. for the second part, some people might not be especially sensitive in the combined effort screwed up ranges or types of screws up taking place :D (let's find people who run a NOS DAC + Tube out stage + HD800 or something of the sort :D ) .

=( man, I wish there were more closed high end stax hp, not just the strange monitor type SR-4070... (and vintage SR-single digits?)

oh well, at least we don't do aftermarket cables lol :D >Just look at the amount of gear the average Head-Fier goes through looking for a dynamic rig that he or she likes enough to be genuinely happy with... It´s not a pretty sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back