New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Aug 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,846 of 2,354
I think his point was that an optical cable carries digital signal rather than analog, so as long as the signal makes it from point A to B, then it doesn't matter if your cable is cheap. So, getting a nicely made cable isn't necessarily going to do a thing for your sound quality.
Apparently, lotof people believe that digital cables make a difference. They buy over priced SATA cables and USB cables. Unless a cable is broken, all digital should sound the same.

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #1,847 of 2,354
I'm absolutely loving this amp.  I've never been willing to carry an amp around before because I just didn't hear enough of a difference to be worth the hassle, but no more; this totally opens up the soundstage on my Merlins and gives that extra energy and oomph that I need.

Do any of you guys have a case or carry pouch that you use with your Leckerton?  I'm having issues with making sure I don't scratch up my amp when I throw it in my bag.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #1,848 of 2,354
Quote:
I think his point was that an optical cable carries digital signal rather than analog, so as long as the signal makes it from point A to B, then it doesn't matter if your cable is cheap. So, getting a nicely made cable isn't necessarily going to do a thing for your sound quality.

No, it has more to do with durability.  Plastic yellows and degrades with age.  Like anything else; buy cheap and replace more often, or buy quality and keep.

You can also make the same argument for digital cable, but that doesn't stop those high end models to rival interconnects for construction and cost. 

This is a timeless argument.  Me, I like material quality, and maybe, just maybe, any performance enhancement that comes with it.

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #1,849 of 2,354
This is perfect for my old UHA-3. I don't know about the new ones. Check it out. It's very nice and only about $11 with shipping. Approx 5widex4x5/8

http://www.amazon.com/Bacci-3002-Cowhide-Coin-Purse/dp/B009SPO8ZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377278925&sr=8-1&keywords=Cowhide+coin+purse

If anyone wants to send me a new version I'd be happy to report back. :wink:

Mooch

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #1,850 of 2,354
Quote:

No, it has more to do with durability.  Plastic yellows and degrades with age.  Like anything else; buy cheap and replace more often, or buy quality and keep.

You can also make the same argument for digital cable, but that doesn't stop those high end models to rival interconnects for construction and cost. 

This is a timeless argument.  Me, I like material quality, and maybe, just maybe, any performance enhancement that comes with it.

Well, that's a pretty good point.  Hard to argue against that.  
beerchug.gif

That's a nice looking case...I might have to give that a go.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #1,851 of 2,354
I'm having a bit of trouble with the UHA-6S.MKII and optical input from my Macbook Pro.  I can do any input up to 24/88.2, but when I put it in 96k mode, all I hear is static.  I think the 6S.MKII is having trouble locking on to the signal.  The volume knob responds and amplifies, so I think that amp section is fine. Unfortunately, I don't have any other TOSLINK sources available to test, so I don't know if my Macbook Pro or the 6S.MKII is faulty.

Has anybody else had this issue?  Every other bit depth and frequency plays fine; it's just 24/96 that I'm having a problem with.

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #1,854 of 2,354
I often listen to headphones while working in my dimly lit apartment late at night.  I just started using the 6S with my open-air DT990's, and I keep having this problem where the soundstage is so much bigger with this amp that I keep thinking I'm hearing noises around me when in fact it's just sounds in the music.  It's a weird problem to have, where the presentation of your amp/headphones combo is so 3D compared to what you're used to that it's actually distracting... 

dt880smile.png

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #1,856 of 2,354
Hi everyone,

Have been lurking on this forum for a while, and this is my first post. BTW, a preview of the UHA760 just went up on the Leckerton website!

http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha760

Cool, thanks for sharing. I've been wondering what may come next...I'll definitely be wanting to try one out. I miss my 6S mk II...

Oh, and BTW- welcome. Sorry about your wallet.

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #1,858 of 2,354

Users who are viewing this thread

Back