New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Feb 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #1,381 of 2,354
I have a quick question, I am on the fence beween the UHA-6S MKII and the Matrix Mini-Portable. I use HD650s and the thing that is holding me back is bass. The matrix review on Headphonia says that the bass is deep and powerful. But my google skills are failing me and I can't seem to find a review pairing the UHA with HD650s.

My dilemma is that I would rather support a US company (nothing against other countries but our economy needs help) but I really don't want to take the chance of buying a portable amp that is top heavy.

UHA-6S.MKII with 209 is quite clean and neutral. I personally hate sibilance and spiky treble and I haven't noticed any exaggerated treble. From my understanding the 8610s have slightly less treble than the 209, so that might be an even better way to go for you. FYI while I don't have HD650s, I did try it with all my current cans and also LCD-2s, which should be a good indicator of how it'd behave with the HD650s.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #1,382 of 2,354
Quote:
UHA-6S.MKII with 209 is quite clean and neutral. I personally hate sibilance and spiky treble and I haven't noticed any exaggerated treble. From my understanding the 8610s have slightly less treble than the 209, so that might be an even better way to go for you. FYI while I don't have HD650s, I did try it with all my current cans and also LCD-2s, which should be a good indicator of how it'd behave with the HD650s.

The UHA-6S mkii have enough juice for the LCD2?

That would be unexpected I belive?

(well, it drives well enough my mad dogs, so maybe not so dificult to be true.)

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #1,384 of 2,354
 The UHA-6S mkii have enough juice for the LCD2?

That would be unexpected I belive?

(well, it drives well enough my mad dogs, so maybe not so dificult to be true.)

With the usual disclaimer of to my ears and preferred listening level, yes, it did to me. On high gain it was at a good level around 9 o'clock when using the UHA-6S.MKII as both an amp and DAC.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #1,385 of 2,354
Quote:
With the usual disclaimer of to my ears and preferred listening level, yes, it did to me. On high gain it was at a good level around 9 o'clock when using the UHA-6S.MKII as both an amp and DAC.

i am sure you have a good DAC right? because this DAC's quality  is quite poor man :p yet the amp is really really good <3

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #1,386 of 2,354
Originally Posted by Shini44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i am sure you have a good DAC right? because this DAC's quality  is quite poor man :p yet the amp is really really good <3

IME.. no it isn't "quite poor."  If it is poor, how so & compared to what?

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #1,388 of 2,354
Quote:
I disagree with this. I am more than satisfied with the DAC-portion at this pricepoint.

Try DAC port LX with this amp for 5 hours and then go back to the stock DAC.....or maybe read the whole thread cause me and other people where testing this DAC even against ASUS Xonar....

first time seeing someone who is happy with a bottle nick but your happy with it then np mate :D enjoy ^^ 

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #1,389 of 2,354
The parrots are out in full form. This dac has also been compared favorably by several (in another forum) to being just shy of odac performance. Speaking in hyperbole and exaggeration of a blanket "poor" dac are of no use to those trying to learn about this product and needlessly scares many away. Most in this thread are happy with the full unit performance. No one is saying you can't find better but the repeated bashing, as an after thought, bottle neck and other poor descriptors are tiring embellishments. If you prefer the dacport lx, then by all means state your preference, give your comparisons to help give prospective buyers alternatives and upgrades to consider. For me, I've compared it to the VentureCraft DD and Astell & Kern dac in the AK100. I'm quite satisfied, for the money and the size, with my 'bottle neck' and consider the UHA-6s one of the best performing bang for buck dac/amp combos on the market. I know Leckerton has plans for some new products sometime in 2013 and am looking forward to hopefully hearing more about them soon.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #1,390 of 2,354
I was tempted to post here that I like the performance of the DAC in the Dragonfly a lot more than what is in the Leckerton, but then the combo adds up to close to double the price of the Leckerton...

I think we are spoilt when it comes to DACs now as the newer USB receivers and all-in-one chips are much better than before.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #1,391 of 2,354
Since I can't use the Leckerton dac with an iDevice (easily and cheaply), I'm looking forward to the iDevice friendly Hummingbird version of the Dragonfly (rumored late 2013). It will double the price of the combo but basically maintain the portable, smaller footprint.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #1,392 of 2,354
Quote:
The parrots are out in full form. This dac has also been compared favorably by several (in another forum) to being just shy of odac performance. Speaking in hyperbole and exaggeration of a blanket "poor" dac are of no use to those trying to learn about this product and needlessly scares many away. Most in this thread are happy with the full unit performance. No one is saying you can't find better but the repeated bashing, as an after thought, bottle neck and other poor descriptors are tiring embellishments. If you prefer the dacport lx, then by all means state your preference, give your comparisons to help give prospective buyers alternatives and upgrades to consider. For me, I've compared it to the VentureCraft DD and Astell & Kern dac in the AK100. I'm quite satisfied, for the money and the size, with my 'bottle neck' and consider the UHA-6s one of the best performing bang for buck dac/amp combos on the market. I know Leckerton has plans for some new products sometime in 2013 and am looking forward to hopefully hearing more about them soon.

Nicely written, just how I feel about this.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #1,393 of 2,354
We are all here because the AMP section rocks >=P MKII is so sexy and sound super!! most of the IEMs even SE535 are dead silent on it <3 

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #1,394 of 2,354
I was previously using a Bifrost, but sold it before getting my UHA-6S.MKII. Honestly though, I just don't hear big differences between DACs; I'm sure if I had the two side by side I could hear a difference, but the Leckerton still sounds good to me.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #1,395 of 2,354
Quote:
We are all here because the AMP section rocks >=P MKII is so sexy and sound super!! most of the IEMs even SE535 are dead silent on it <3 

So you bought the UHA6 again? lol :). I'm glad you like the DACport LX/UHA6 MKII combo. They were extremely good on my desktop for sensitive IEMs. Even hearing about the lower gain model of the UHA6 has sparked my interest again....
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back