New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Feb 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #1,367 of 2,354
it uses 2 single op amps, and there are 2 dip-8 sockets on the board.  So, you either need to get op amps in dip-8, or use adaptors if the op amps are soic-8.  Some soic-8s (aka surface mount) can be had already installed/soldered onto adaptors, or you can do it yourself.  

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #1,370 of 2,354
You should be able to use the Leckerton as a DAC with your iPad (but not iPhone/iPod)

iPad -> Camera Connection Kit  -> USB cable -> Leckerton

BTW, my silver MKII is on the way.. Yay! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

The amp portion will work with idevices but you won't be able to use the dac portion. And yes you would need a LOD to connect your idevice to the leckerton.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #1,371 of 2,354
As a followup to my concern about the gain level, I actually took Nick up on the offer to have mine modded for lower gain (great turnaround time, took about a week including shipping both ways). Now the low gain is -18db and high is 0db. This gives me a nice usable volume range when using the UHA-6S.MKII as a DAC with my Heir 4.As, and since I've sold my LCD-2s I don't have any cans I'll miss the high gain with.

From emails back and forth with Nick I believe he's going to soon offer it as an option you can select when you order.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #1,372 of 2,354
Quote:
As a followup to my concern about the gain level, I actually took Nick up on the offer to have mine modded for lower gain (great turnaround time, took about a week including shipping both ways). Now the low gain is -18db and high is 0db. This gives me a nice usable volume range when using the UHA-6S.MKII as a DAC with my Heir 4.As, and since I've sold my LCD-2s I don't have any cans I'll miss the high gain with.

From emails back and forth with Nick I believe he's going to soon offer it as an option you can select when you order.

that's awesome, what are you using as an amp?

Feb 21, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #1,373 of 2,354
I also ordered the - db version, and it just sounds great. it gives my V3's so much more headroom to play with the volume. This is the best portable amp I have heard. it sounds so clean and balanced with a very black background.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #1,378 of 2,354
I also ordered the - db version, and it just sounds great. it gives my V3's so much more headroom to play with the volume. This is the best portable amp I have heard. it sounds so clean and balanced with a very black background.

That's because the new CLAS has a lower gain then the old one. That won't be for long though. Cypher Labs will be upping the gain on any CLASs they manufacture due to complaints from people trying to drive orthos.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #1,379 of 2,354
I have a quick question, I am on the fence beween the UHA-6S MKII and the Matrix Mini-Portable. I use HD650s and the thing that is holding me back is bass. The matrix review on Headphonia says that the bass is deep and powerful. But my google skills are failing me and I can't seem to find a review pairing the UHA with HD650s.

My dilemma is that I would rather support a US company (nothing against other countries but our economy needs help) but I really don't want to take the chance of buying a portable amp that is top heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back