New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Jan 30, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #1,338 of 2,354
Just got mine in today, I went with the opa209s and it sounds excellent even though USB. While I may upgrade DACs at some point again here, for the time being it looks like this'll work for me just fine at work.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter that has at least some small length of cable in between the plugs? I know the Grado one is the typical recommendation but it seems to be out of stock everywhere I look (alternately, if someone knows of a place that currently has it in stock that'd be great too).

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #1,339 of 2,354
Quote:
Just got mine in today, I went with the opa209s and it sounds excellent even though USB. While I may upgrade DACs at some point again here, for the time being it looks like this'll work for me just fine at work.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter that has at least some small length of cable in between the plugs? I know the Grado one is the typical recommendation but it seems to be out of stock everywhere I look (alternately, if someone knows of a place that currently has it in stock that'd be great too).

Congrats, I too thought it sounded great via USB. 

As for you're adapter I know you're looking for something you can buy quickly but I just wanted to mention that I have Trevor from Norse make me a great adapter just like the one you're looking for with the Norn v2 series and he can tailor it to whichever length you would like.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #1,340 of 2,354
Got a question for anyone else with one of these, does yours have channel imbalance at low levels and at what level is it properly balanced?

Mine's good starting around 8, but anything below that is all left-channel.

Now I know some channel imbalance is just a fact of analog volume controls, so I'm not concerned about that in itself. However, having it at 8 puts my (admittedly fairly sensitive) full-sized cans at a pleasant low-ish volume level, so I'm just wondering how it'll then do with my 4.As when they get here.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #1,341 of 2,354
Depending on the source you have it connected to it could be cutting it close on your sensitive IEMs or even possibly be too loud. But for me it had enough headroom to just make it acceptable. But not much headroom though....

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #1,342 of 2,354
Depending on the source you have it connected to it could be cutting it close on your sensitive IEMs or even possibly be too loud. But for me it had enough headroom to just make it acceptable. But not much headroom though....

Currently using it as a DAC as well, I imagine with a DAP I'd have noticeably more play.

At what level do you start/stop getting channel imbalance, is it similar to mine at 8?

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #1,346 of 2,354
Quote:
Thanks, good to know.

Anyone else?

I used the 4.Ai universal version with the MK2 and yes, there is an imbalance at the very first peep of sound coming out then it levels out. I have never had it be an issue at normal (to me) listening levels. You can get it pretty quiet without the imbalance. It would be nice to have a little more wiggle room, but it's certainly use-able. And a great sounding setup.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #1,347 of 2,354
Quote:
I think it should depend on what you're trying to drive. More sensitive iems will show imbalance at higher perceived volumes.

Right, just wondering at what position on the volume knob you see it level out.

Quote:
I used the 4.Ai universal version with the MK2 and yes, there is an imbalance at the very first peep of sound coming out then it levels out. I have never had it be an issue at normal (to me) listening levels. You can get it pretty quiet without the imbalance. It would be nice to have a little more wiggle room, but it's certainly use-able. And a great sounding setup.

Good to know, thanks. What position does yours level out at, and what position do you normally listen at with the 4.Ai?

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,348 of 2,354
Right, just wondering at what position on the volume knob you see it level out.

Good to know, thanks. What position does yours level out at, and what position do you normally listen at with the 4.Ai?

Ah, okay. It depends on the source. IPod: imbalance is gone before 7:30-8 and I usually listen about 9. Sometimes up to 10, depending.
Clip zip (level set to 0 in rockbox) usually listen with the knob a bit higher so there's a little more wiggle room.
Now using the DAC section in the UHA, I listen at about 11:00 +. Lots of room.
Keep in mind that if you EQ your player and apply pre-cut that seems to increase useable range as well.
You have the 4.A on the way, right? You will see soon enough! I wouldn't worry.

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #1,349 of 2,354
Ah, okay. It depends on the source. IPod: imbalance is gone before 7:30-8 and I usually listen about 9. Sometimes up to 10, depending.
Clip zip (level set to 0 in rockbox) usually listen with the knob a bit higher so there's a little more wiggle room.
Now using the DAC section in the UHA, I listen at about 11:00 +. Lots of room.
Keep in mind that if you EQ your player and apply pre-cut that seems to increase useable range as well.
You have the 4.A on the way, right? You will see soon enough! I wouldn't worry.

Yeah, 4.A will hopefully be here Monday, quite exciting!

I would think the channel imbalance would be at the same point on the volume knob regardless, just that it'll be louder or quieter depending on the source.

I actually gave it a try with both a Clip+ and my phone and am now starting to appreciate the difficulty of choosing a gain range. Using it as a DAC I find even low gain fairly loud, but with something like the Clip+ it's pretty quiet through most of the range.

Overall, definitely enjoying it so far, and looking forward to my 4.As to get here and LCD-2s to get back so I can try both extremes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back