New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Jan 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #1,307 of 2,354
Price wise, UHA-6 is a great value. For its price, yes. But if you have extra and demand to get a better quality DAC, then it is a different story. It's certainly better than laptop/iphone DAC IMO, and you can not expect anymore for its asking price. You get what you pay for.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #1,308 of 2,354
lee730 Are there any measurements that would corroborate your claims? Some claim that once gear measures well enough it can be considered transparent. Do you subscribe to this philosophy, and if not then what properties of sound are being produced that are so far unmeasurable in your opinion?

I'm asking because I went back to compare the uha6s with the fuze and I'll be dammed if there is a difference using the ER4S. There are however a lot of info and tests that show that people can be convinced to hear what isn't there. And you claim a night and day difference between these devices, which is just nowhere near true in my experience. What could explain the differences in our perceptions then?

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #1,309 of 2,354
Quote:
Price wise, UHA-6 is a great value. For its price, yes. But if you have extra and demand to get a better quality DAC, then it is a different story. It's certainly better than laptop/iphone DAC IMO, and you can not expect anymore for its asking price. You get what you pay for.

Yup. It is important to see things in perspective rather than to create an impression that its DAC is poor.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #1,310 of 2,354
Quote:
lee730 Are there any measurements that would corroborate your claims? Some claim that once gear measures well enough it can be considered transparent. Do you subscribe to this philosophy, and if not then what properties of sound are being produced that are so far unmeasurable in your opinion?

I'm asking because I went back to compare the uha6s with the fuze and I'll be dammed if there is a difference using the ER4S. There are however a lot of info and tests that show that people can be convinced to hear what isn't there. And you claim a night and day difference between these devices, which is just nowhere near true in my experience. What could explain the differences in our perceptions then?

Many things in audio are overly exaggerated. I thought you would have known that by now? =)

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #1,312 of 2,354
Quote:
And it is a bad thing too, mislead to several bad purchases.

Same here :). We all go through that. It's always a gamble when making purchases based on someone else' opinions. But if you find those few who you tend to find you agree with based on those said purchases. You're pretty set then :). Still not 100% guarantee but it does help to find those who you share similar sound signature preferences with and maybe in that, you hear things similar.

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #1,313 of 2,354
Quote:

Sorry I just don't find a Fuze comparable to the UHA6 MKII in sound quality. If you do then I suggest you stick with what you have and don't go any further. Means you'll just be disappointed in your purchases.

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #1,314 of 2,354
Quote:

Who cares what other people's info and tests show? In your experience, there's no difference. That's what is most pertinent, because you are building a system for yourself to listen to, not for anybody else.

Ultimately, you want the optimal results, so if you don't gain much or anything by inserting an amp in this setup, don't! You get a more compact portable system that way -- there's no downside!

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #1,315 of 2,354
Quote:
It's a great value yes. But the fact remains there is better out there to be had for those who want more. To say otherwise is misleading. The UHA6MKII's true merit comes from its amp section IMO. Not it's DAC. It's DAC actually holds back its amp section (it's the bottleneck of the combo). I tend to like the get the most out of my gear.

Ok, then.  Name a portable dac for $275 retail, that sounds better, and has toslink, coax and usb inputs (not just one who's signature you like better). Ok - but it doesn't have an amp built in, so that's not a fair comparison.

'Now then, pick a $275 amp that sounds better, not just different, and has the ability to switch opamps for versatility.  Ok, but it doesn't have a built in dac, so that's not a fair comparison either.

Lastly, name a combo dac-headphone amp for $275 retail (or less if you dare), that offers an equal or better combination or sonics and connectivity (e.g., that will make a Samsung S3 sound better via either usb or headphone out - hint, the usb makes it sound much better than by itself, especially since the amp is part of the deal).  OK, none of the components you mention fit those criteria either.

My PS Audio PWD Mk2 sounds better than the mkii as a DAC.  Not sure how I would fit it in my pocket, and how i would power it as a portable either.

My point here is not just about the mkii, per se, it's about this sort of comparison in general.  

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #1,318 of 2,354
Quote:
Ok, then.  Name a portable dac for $275 retail, that sounds better, and has toslink, coax and usb inputs (not just one who's signature you like better). Ok - but it doesn't have an amp built in, so that's not a fair comparison.

'Now then, pick a $275 amp that sounds better, not just different, and has the ability to switch opamps for versatility.  Ok, but it doesn't have a built in dac, so that's not a fair comparison either.

Lastly, name a combo dac-headphone amp for $275 retail (or less if you dare), that offers an equal or better combination or sonics and connectivity (e.g., that will make a Samsung S3 sound better via either usb or headphone out - hint, the usb makes it sound much better than by itself, especially since the amp is part of the deal).  OK, none of the components you mention fit those criteria either.

My PS Audio PWD Mk2 sounds better than the mkii as a DAC.  Not sure how I would fit it in my pocket, and how i would power it as a portable either.

My point here is not just about the mkii, per se, it's about this sort of comparison in general.  

I see no reason to not have this comparison :wink:. We agree to disagree. Although I do agree with you on the UHA6 having great value overall as a total all in one package. I've never said that wasn't the case. My point is in terms of its included DAC there is a lot better to be had IMO. I never bought the amp due to its DAC section. I already knew its limitations coming from the UHA4, which I also paired with the DACport LX and it sounded a lot better than from the internal DAC. Take a DACport LX and pair it with a UHA6 MKII and you have a sound quality on par if not better than the DX100 at slightly more than half the price.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #1,319 of 2,354
I have heard the original Dacport, although it has been a while.  I liked it very much, and own a Dacmini.  I know Michael Goodman personally, he lives one town over from me, and I very much like his gear and have great respect for him and his products. . I sell his products, and highly recommend them when they fit the customer's needs.   That said, it's still somewhat 'horses for courses'.  The LX, lacking a volume control, would rely on the source device to provide it, otherwise you are limited to whatever fixed volume you get from the combo

The better comparison would be between the Leckerton and the upcoming HifiM8.  I'm gonna guess the M8 will sound better, but it's also bigger and costs more.  

Lastly, while i am sure it was not intended in that spirit, calling the DAC an 'afterthought' is pretty insulting.  I'm sure it took a great deal of time and effort to design the circuit, chose the parts, and layout the board  so that there was also room for an amp and a decent sized battery in the same small chassis

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #1,320 of 2,354
Quote:
I have heard the original Dacport, although it has been a while.  I liked it very much, and own a Dacmini.  I know Michael Goodman personally, he lives one town over from me, and I very much like his gear and have great respect for him and his products. . I sell his products, and highly recommend them when they fit the customer's needs.   That said, it's still somewhat 'horses for courses'.  The LX, lacking a volume control, would rely on the source device to provide it, otherwise you are limited to whatever fixed volume you get from the combo

The better comparison would be between the Leckerton and the upcoming HifiM8.  I'm gonna guess the M8 will sound better, but it's also bigger and costs more.  

Lastly, while i am sure it was not intended in that spirit, calling the DAC an 'afterthought' is pretty insulting.  I'm sure it took a great deal of time and effort to design the circuit, chose the parts, and layout the board  so that there was also room for an amp and a decent sized battery in the same small chassis

True the LX is intended to be used as a pure DAC and due to this it lacks the volume control. The benefit of this though is it is more transparent than the DACport (it's cleaner and sounds better). Using the UHA6 MKII to attenuate the volume is not an issue and you get the benefit of better sound quality. Of course this is limited to transportable opposed to using it on your phone lol.

I don't think the Leckerton is gonna compare at all to the HifiM8. Especially not with the DAC section. The amp section would stand a better chance for sure. I already know CEntrance has some serious gear and in terms of money to performance they are a great value IMO.

Well honestly I didn't mean that comment to be an insult to Nick. But it is what it is. It's a great feature that does add value to the unit I agree. But it is the Achilles heel of this unit in that you won't use the full potential of this amp with it's included DAC. The amp IMO is amazing. The DAC not so much. Pair it with a really good dedicated DAC and you have some serious sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back