New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Sep 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #436 of 2,354
Quote:

In my opinion the money is better spent on better headphones (or amp/dac/whatever for that matter) than on cables...

The DAC part of the Leckerton is without Jailbreak only usable with the iPad + camera connection kit as far as I know.

You are correct plakat. You'd have to jail-break the iphone or ipod touch in order to bypass its DAC section on the UHA6 MKII. Someone has posted on the thread regarding this and successfully has done it with their iphone/UHA6 MKII.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #437 of 2,354
Quote:
You are correct plakat. You'd have to jail-break the iphone or ipod touch in order to bypass its DAC section on the UHA6 MKII. Someone has posted on the thread regarding this and successfully has done it with their iphone/UHA6 MKII.

Can this be done with any DAC. I have a ipod touch 4g that has been jailbroke.
Does it just take the camera connection kit to get it done? Do I need an app or is there a setting in the touch I need to set?
Sorry. I googled for info, but came up with nothing...

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #438 of 2,354
To my knowledge it will only work with that camera adapter used to do the same on the ipad. I'm not sure if it will work on all DACs however. But the UHA6 MKII is made to work with the ipad and someone has successfully done the same on their iphone4. I don't think you should need a special app but it may be better to get it from the horses mouth. I think he posted here earlier on in the thread.

Edit: He posted his findings 1 page back from this one. You can contact him via PM and ask for yourself.

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/0/02/100x100px-LS-02d3ffed_sandlingaitherphishasheville2009stage.jpg[/img]
  1. mtntrance
  2. badge_100.v1305918899.png
  4. offline
  1. 178 Posts. Joined 1/2010
  2. Location: Southern California Desert

Just jail broke my 4S added the Cydia camera connection tweak and successfully have my iPhone 4S working with the camera connection kit into my UHA-6S MKII. Sounds awesome. It can be done! Why apple doesn't allow this I don't know. I do know I won't be buying an iPad mini.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #440 of 2,354
Well this sucks, the new Apple connector update may have just screwed up mobile rigging for future audiophiles. Anyone have any idea if Leckerton can mod the UHA-6 MKII to accept a signal from it's digital out connector into the USB in on the Leckerton amp?

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #441 of 2,354
Quote:
Well this sucks, the new Apple connector update may have just screwed up mobile rigging for future audiophiles. Anyone have any idea if Leckerton can mod the UHA-6 MKII to accept a signal from it's digital out connector into the USB in on the Leckerton amp?

Interesting. If that's the case why not just skip their products in the future and stick to what you have right now? If you are bypassing the Amp and DAC section a new ipod won't matter vs a old one or not. Anywyas Apple is just far too controlling for my tastes. Its turned me off completely from them. Won't be buying another apple product again..

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #442 of 2,354
Quote:
Interesting. If that's the case why not just skip their products in the future and stick to what you have right now? If you are bypassing the Amp and DAC section a new ipod won't matter vs a old one or not. Anywyas Apple is just far too controlling for my tastes. Its turned me off completely from them. Won't be buying another apple product again..

At this rate I may not either whether I like it or not. There's got to be a work around somewhere out there that doesn't involve a dumb adapter jabbing me in the family jewels when I'm walking listening to my rig.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #443 of 2,354
I figure there are plenty (as in, millions) of iPod Classics, Touches, iPhones, etc already in existence that use the current connector. The used market is stuffed with them. By the time I'd really need one of the new models Leckerton would have a mkIII or whatever, that can talk to the new Apples. 

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #445 of 2,354
Argh shipping from the US is gruesome.  I ordered on the 30th August, it shipped on the 3rd September and took from then until the 6th to make it from Austin to Chicago, where it finally got on a plane to Amsterdam on the 10th, and then then spent until the 14th (today) going through customs.  If probably wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't able to obsessively track its every move online 100 times a day.  Oh well, looks like I will actually get it next week.

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #446 of 2,354
Quote:
Argh shipping from the US is gruesome.  I ordered on the 30th August, it shipped on the 3rd September and took from then until the 6th to make it from Austin to Chicago, where it finally got on a plane to Amsterdam on the 10th, and then then spent until the 14th (today) going through customs.  If probably wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't able to obsessively track its every move online 100 times a day.  Oh well, looks like I will actually get it next week.

And two minutes after my whiny post it arrives.  :-D  Had to pay 80 Euros extra in taxes and import costs, wasn't quite prepared for that.  But the amp is a thing of beauty - now to try to look like I'm still working while testing it out.  :)

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #449 of 2,354
Using the Camera Connection Kit will allow an iPads DAC to be bypassed by an external DAC: Seems like it would work with the UHA-6?
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audiophile-play-ipad

It does; if you have version 1 of the UHA-6 or -6S, contact Leckerton to ask if it needs the iPod mod in order to work. The UHA-6 Mk II doesn't need a mod.

Anyone have any idea if Leckerton can mod the UHA-6 MKII to accept a signal from it's digital out connector into the USB in on the Leckerton amp?

Too early to say. That the iPad can provide D-out through the CCK is a good sign that Apple will be opening access to the digital signal on other new devices, though.

The upside is that if any device can get a generic digial audio signal through the new iPhones and Nanos, then the Leckerton amps can, too. Fingers crossed.

I figure there are plenty (as in, millions) of iPod Classics, Touches, iPhones, etc already in existence that use the current connector.

+1. I'm still using a gen 5 iPod because it does everything I need (except maybe, at the moment, have more storage).

Argh shipping from the US is gruesome.

Probably some poor customs inspector thinking, "A compact electronics device originating from the U.S. rather than China? Is this a joke?"

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #450 of 2,354
My first impressions of this amp (with 627 opamp) are very positive, it sounds fantastic.  Will post some more detailed impressions once I've spent a little more time with it.  The best news so far is that it works via OTG cable from my Samsung Galaxy S3, so I now have a truly terrific mobile rig (with V-Moda M80s).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back