New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Sep 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #452 of 2,354
Quote:
Couldn't wait for the silver enclosure to be in stock so i ordered the black one. Hopefully he ships it out today. Not sure if im in the right thread though.

I would be interested in knowing your source, whether HO or LOD, what cables you are using and what your cans are. Also, your impression once you've tested the MKII:)

TIA - Rich

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #453 of 2,354
The new Apple lightning dock seems to be able to host USB devices. It may offer a chance for USB DAC to be able to work directly with it.

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #454 of 2,354
Quote:
The new Apple lightning dock seems to be able to host USB devices. It may offer a chance for USB DAC to be able to work directly with it.

Taken from the head-fi iPhone 5 thread by a user whose quoting the following from the Apple site

Quote:
This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Support for analog audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Video output not supported.

Audio out shouldn't be a problem the problem will be any new touch will now require that special connector if you intend to use it in a rig. Personally I don't like the idea of having to add another piece to my rig. That one more piece will make my Leckerton rig that much more bulky and unwieldy. On the plus side maybe Fiio or Leckerton has something up their sleeve and the new connector on iDevices won't be sand boxed. I know the CLAS people aren't worried and the CEO of said company has already posted they've already started looking into new cables for the CLAS. Has anyone tried reaching out to Fiio or Leckerton yet involving how to go about audio rigging the new iDevices without the Apple connector?

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #455 of 2,354
Quote:
Taken from the head-fi iPhone 5 thread by a user whose quoting the following from the Apple site

Audio out shouldn't be a problem the problem will be any new touch will now require that special connector if you intend to use it in a rig. Personally I don't like the idea of having to add another piece to my rig. That one more piece will make my Leckerton rig that much more bulky and unwieldy. On the plus side maybe Fiio or Leckerton has something up their sleeve and the new connector on iDevices won't be sand boxed. I know the CLAS people aren't worried and the CEO of said company has already posted they've already started looking into new cables for the CLAS. Has anyone tried reaching out to Fiio or Leckerton yet involving how to go about audio rigging the new iDevices without the Apple connector?

What I posted earlier is that there is a possibility that the lightning connector will be able to host USB devices. It is similar to the capabilities the camera connection kit brings to the iPad.

It then follows that there is a chance we could connect the iPod/iPhone directly to the USB input of the UHA6S MKII as well as other USB devices.

Sep 15, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #456 of 2,354
The standard cable is Lightning to USB and an optional Lightning to micro-USB for $19.  Seems promising for iUsers.  

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #457 of 2,354
Quote:
Has anyone tried reaching out to Fiio or Leckerton yet involving how to go about audio rigging the new iDevices without the Apple connector?

I'm sure people are bombarding them with questions. And I'm sure they know exactly as much as we do. All there is to go on is rumors, and I don't base my plans on rumors.

Sep 15, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #458 of 2,354
This thing has a lot of power. I can't listen at a low enough volume with my Shure E500s. For both channels to be at equal volume, it has to be turned up too high. And that is with the gain set at low. I need to try my home headphones with the UHA-6. I imagine it would drive them decently. We'll see... 

Sep 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #459 of 2,354
Quote:
For both channels to be at equal volume, it has to be turned up too high. And that is with the gain set at low. 

I use the EQ 10 app with my 4s; has a balance control. I just set the eq to flat:)

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #462 of 2,354
OK; just to make sure I understand here.

I have an iPhone 4s and want to buy the Leckerton UHA-6S MKII for it's superb amp & DAC qualities.

I will have to jailbreak my phone in order to bypass it's internal DAC, which I take is one of the perks of the jailbreak sw mod.

Do I need any special hw, thinking cables here, to connect Siri, via LOD (I guess), to the Leck or will any LOD cable do?

Also, which is preferred and why; HO or LOD?

I've seen posts in this thread refer to a CCK but I'm not exactly sure what that is\does.

I'm just looking for the best possible bump in sq for the buck:)

Guess I could always ask Nick but I'm sure he's busy enough these daze (sic).

TY for reading my rant:D

Rich aka FACSman

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #463 of 2,354
You'll need the camera connector which is used to also connect the ipad to the UHA6 MKII to bypass the ipads DAC. Do a search on it and you should find the connector.

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #464 of 2,354
Useful article about the Lightning connector.

Relevant to our interests:
• Lightning does not support analog audio out.
• Lightning supports digital video out. Whether that implicitly means digital audio too is left unanswered.
• Apple is "working with" various big companies for Lightning-based audio accessories. Again, whether this means there's a generic, standard digital audio out remains ambiguous.
• The Lightning/iPod Dock adaptor has a DAC in it for the analog out function.
• The Lightning/iPod Dock adaptor supports USB audio out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back