New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Jun 28, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #91 of 2,354
Quote:
Once you have a good listen please hurry back and post some impressions. I'm hoping this thread will finally yield some impressions so people can research this amp properly. Theres practically nothing about it on head-fi. By the way I'm shocked you're actually thinking of selling the DX-100. I thought you loved that DAP to death. What happened the OS bugs finally got on your nerves?

Not so much, rather the Studio V is just that good and from a portable standpoint is the winner. It's much smaller, more durable, has a 55 hour battery life playing back flac files and sound amazing with my IE80s. Hiss is the only thing stopping me from getting rid of the DX100 at this point. Although the DX100 would be nice to have for future purchases, it's not getting its full use currently...

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #92 of 2,354
@lee370, I am wary of any DAP without a dedicated lineout - I dredged up an earlier explanation you provided:

The Studio V does not have a dedicated Line Out section but a makeshift one through its head phone out. There's a setting to lock the volume at max ouput power and allows you to use the HO to external amplifiers. I actually find this feature quite useful and it completely resolved the hiss issue is has this way. I'd still rather just use the Studio V though with its slight hiss without carrying around a portable amp. It sounds good enough to overlook that flaw.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/447479/teclast-t51/1155#post_8069471

I have no doubt that the Studio V sounds markedly better than my T51 (its 3 times the cost here in Oz), but neither has the flexibility of the DX100, I will be interested to hear more on your decision to sell the iBasso. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #93 of 2,354
I'm so tempted. I have a UHA-4 with the stock AD8610, but really like the idea of this with the OPA209. If I had ordered the UHA-4 with 209 this would have been easier to ignore.

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #94 of 2,354
I would be wary of thinking about the UHA4 and UHA6 as the same or similar.  The 4 is not as clean and clear as the 6 so I'm not sure if the 209 would be the best thing for it by comparison.  The 209 is the more resolving opamp but so is the topology in the 6.  It could be that the 8610 would be better for the UHA4.  Dropping 209s in the UHA4 will not make it a UHA6.

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #95 of 2,354
Quote:
I would be wary of thinking about the UHA4 and UHA6 as the same or similar.  The 4 is not as clean and clear as the 6 so I'm not sure if the 209 would be the best thing for it by comparison.  The 209 is the more resolving opamp but so is the topology in the 6.  It could be that the 8610 would be better for the UHA4.  Dropping 209s in the UHA4 will not make it a UHA6.

Are the OP-Amps interchangeable in the new UHA6? If so I may Opt for the 209 to test it out. I have a feeling I won' t like it though. I could always sell it here on headfi I'm sure :).

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #96 of 2,354
Quote:
@lee370, I am wary of any DAP without a dedicated lineout - I dredged up an earlier explanation you provided:

The Studio V does not have a dedicated Line Out section but a makeshift one through its head phone out. There's a setting to lock the volume at max ouput power and allows you to use the HO to external amplifiers. I actually find this feature quite useful and it completely resolved the hiss issue is has this way. I'd still rather just use the Studio V though with its slight hiss without carrying around a portable amp. It sounds good enough to overlook that flaw.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/447479/teclast-t51/1155#post_8069471

I have no doubt that the Studio V sounds markedly better than my T51 (its 3 times the cost here in Oz), but neither has the flexibility of the DX100, I will be interested to hear more on your decision to sell the iBasso. 

Yeah the DX100 does have a lot more uses due to all the connections is has. But I don't use these connections generally. I also rather carry around a small unit. It's a bit awkward carrying around the DX100 and an iphone4 in its otterbox :p. Just the Studio V's downfall is it's hiss. The Rocoo BA is also a good option but I still detect hiss on it (slight but still audible) and its battery life is short in comparison to the Studio V. The sound quality is up there though but the Studio V has a more refined sound. Still crossing my fingers, it would free up $700+ :wink:

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #97 of 2,354
Quote:
Are the OP-Amps interchangeable in the new UHA6? If so I may Opt for the 209 to test it out. I have a feeling I won' t like it though. I could always sell it here on headfi I'm sure :).

Yes.  Just get the 8610 and ask for a set of 209s or whichever is cheaper.  It's not like they are expensive and you never know if you change phones or start listening to other genres.  Just remember pin1 and have the right puller.  
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #98 of 2,354
Nick just replied to me. He recommended I get a DIP extractor to change out the parts. He'll give me the 209 Op Amp for $20.00 so its a go. :) I really wanted to have the mixed plated version I saw on his website but he can't offer that now :frowning2: guess its black then.

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #102 of 2,354
Quote:

Well just wanted to post that I got my UHA6MKII and I have to say I am very pleased with it out of the box. The build is solid and practical. The size of the unit is close in size to the UHA4 but thicker. Now getting to the best part... The sound... :wink:

Very early impressions so take it with a grain of salt if you will. The sound is excellent. I opted for OP Amp 8610 and I am very happy I did (I also have 209 and will test that later). The mid-range is still the forefront of the presentation which is exactly what I wanted. The overall sound is still very neutral with a hint of warmth. The mid-range has this added clarity to it that really draws your attention to it. Listening to "Angel" from Sarah McLachlan I was drawn deep into the recording (lots of depth). It's like you are there and she is singing to you in a Concert Hall, very powerful... What I am so happy about though is now I consider my Studio V to be the portable solution I have been wanting it to be. Through this amp I am getting the sound I wanted. The vocals are no longer too far away and the sound stage isn't overly exaggerated. Now time will only tell, but I really do see the DX100 going up for sale soon... This is surely an upgrade over the UHA4, and thanks everyone for giving me the bug :p

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #103 of 2,354
Quote:

Well just wanted to post that I got my UHA6MKII and I have to say I am very pleased with it out of the box. The build is solid and practical. The size of the unit is close in size to the UHA4 but thicker. Now getting to the best part... The sound... :wink:

Very early impressions so take it with a grain of salt if you will. The sound is excellent. I opted for OP Amp 8610 and I am very happy I did (I also have 609 and will test that later). The mid-range is still the forefront of the presentation which is exactly what I wanted. The overall sound is still very neutral with a hint of warmth. The mid-range has this added clarity to it that really draws your attention to it. Listening to "Angel" from Sarah McLachlan I was drawn deep into the recording (lots of depth). It's like you are there and she is singing to you in a Concert Hall, very powerful... What I am so happy about though is now I consider my Studio V to be the portable solution I have been wanting it to be. Through this amp I am getting the sound I wanted. The vocals are no longer too far away and the sound stage isn't overly exaggerated. Now time will only tell, but I really do see the DX100 going up for sale soon... This is surely an upgrade over the UHA4, and thanks everyone for giving me the bug :p

Glad to hear it, I just got my mk2 today too but haven't run it yet, only charged.  I hope you enjoy it, the DX100 amp section was a let down for me compared to my mk1.

If you have never pulled/swapped chips before, make sure you center the extractor and remove with even, slow, steady pressure and adjust accordingly to avoid bending the pins.  Always remember pin 1 orientation.

Edit - Forgot to mention how much better the build quality is.  This is a much more refined design and construction.

Jul 3, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #104 of 2,354
Let us know man (yeah, I've been gone for a while, but I saw the light and now I'm back)
I'm pretty sure I'll be using the L3 for most of my portable listening (with a Walkman X/Z, I am just about to buy the metal case now...) But if this new Leckerton amp works with my Tablet (which I found out will be getting Jellybean) Then it is worth buying. That and I've been soo pleased with my UHA-4 I wanted to buy a higher end Leckerton offering...

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #105 of 2,354
Just put in an order for the MKII last night. Thanks to Anaxilus and ShotgunShane for taking some time to answer my questions. I hope I enjoy it as much as you two do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back