New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Mar 26, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #2,056 of 2,354

You mean AD8610 right? I get the 6S with ADA4627-1A since it was reported to be the most neutral and transparent of all opamps option. So far it does sound transparent. I still have to try other opamps though for comparison.

Yeah I meant AD8610. I thought the most transparent goes to OPA209 but sounds cold, too. I also read reports from some people here that AD8610 and ADA4627-1 do not sound different. I really want to try OPA627, but my budget is not much so I have to choose between AD8610 and ADA4627-1 beside OPA627.

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #2,059 of 2,354
Finally got some opamps for rolling. Just testing OPA627AP now and AD797ANZ next. I also have a pair of AD4627-1BRZ but I still need to find some DIP8 socket adapter.

It's difficult to do an AB test on this one so I'll have to give each opamp of run time and figure out their differences.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #2,060 of 2,354
  Finally got some opamps for rolling. Just testing OPA627AP now and AD797ANZ next. I also have a pair of AD4627-1BRZ but I still need to find some DIP8 sockets.

It's difficult to do an AB test on this one so I'll have to give each opamp of run time and figure out their differences.

Looking forward to seeing your comparison. Does ADA4627-1BRZ worth $14 more than ADA4627-1ARZ for this amp?

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #2,062 of 2,354
Looks like Nick from Leckerton is leaving his day job to focus on his business. From his latest blog, he is currently on the process of moving his headquarters to Portland. He even confirmed an amp only product is coming soon. Hope he comes up with an amp in 760/6SMKII with more power and as slim as the UHA-4. Oh  A big bonus would be if the output stage opamp is socketed for rolling amps.

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #2,065 of 2,354
Good for him.  Will be great to see more Leckerton stuff.

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #2,067 of 2,354
Very cool about Nick moving into the business full-time!! Here's wishing him nothing but success!!!

And I can't wait to see what he comes up with, particularly given the pretty stellar quality of the 6S2 IMO. Sounds like he won't be somewhat locked into the Cirrus chips anymore, and he might have time for a desktop amp, balanced amp, or maybe something off-the-wall like a TOTL crossfeed option like Jan Meier has... Very interested in seeing what comes out of this!! Attaway Nick!!! :)

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #2,068 of 2,354
Just tried OPA627AP and AD979ANZ for a full day each. The OPA627 goes very deep in the bass and adds more attack and impact. Overall sounded fuller than ADA4627-1A but at the expense of a slightly recessed mids and highs. It also feels the soundstage is narrower and instrument separation sounded closer than before.

On the other hand the AD797 has on par bass impact and attack but not as deep and full as the OPA627. It has the soundstage, separation and clear details of ADA4627-1A but without the sharp edges.

What surprises me is the tone and timber AD797ANZ brings is very pleasant, mids and vocals have very unique texture and overall the sound is more closer to the natural presentation of a live performance with a very quiet background. I am not expecting this result because I read a lot of comments about this opamp which is very picky and unstable on some circuit at unity gain and all the bad raps. I never considered this opamp when I was making a choice of opamps when buying the 6SMKII.  But on 6SMKII it really shines imo. Maybe it just strike the right synergy with my gear, DX50 + RB and the Roxanne @ 0dB bass.

I thought ADA4627-1A has the right balance with clear details and wide soundstage. But for my ears, AD797 is better. The OPA627 is the odd one here, it has the bigger bass, fun to listen with but sacrificing soundtage width and mid/high details. ADA4627 and AD797 is more or less similar. Where the ADA4627 reveals the raw details of the music, the ADA797 presents it in a very pleasing smoothness and texture. 

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #2,069 of 2,354
  Just tried OPA627AP and AD979ANZ for a full day each. The OPA627 goes very deep in the bass and adds more attack and impact. Overall sounded fuller than ADA4627-1A but at the expense of a slightly recessed mids and highs. It also feels the soundstage is narrower and instrument separation sounded closer than before.

On the other hand the AD797 has on par bass impact and attack but not as deep and full as the OPA627. It has the soundstage, separation and clear details of ADA4627-1A but without the sharp edges.

What surprises me is the tone and timber AD797ANZ brings is very pleasant, mids and vocals have very unique texture and overall the sound is more closer to the natural presentation of a live performance with a very quiet background. I am not expecting this result because I read a lot of comments about this opamp which is very picky and unstable on some circuit at unity gain and all the bad raps. I never considered this opamp when I was making a choice of opamps when buying the 6SMKII.  But on 6SMKII it really shines imo. Maybe it just strike the right synergy with my gear, DX50 + RB and the Roxanne @ 0dB bass.

I thought ADA4627-1A has the right balance with clear details and wide soundstage. But for my ears, AD797 is better. The OPA627 is the odd one here, it has the bigger bass, fun to listen with but sacrificing soundtage width and mid/high details. ADA4627 and AD797 is more or less similar. Where the ADA4627 reveals the raw details of the music, the ADA797 presents it in a very pleasing smoothness and texture.

I had a similar experience with OPA627 and AD797 as you and I don't really like their sound.

Today I just put in a pair of LME49710's (borrowed from another cheap diy amp) and I love them! I don't know much about opamps and I am not even sure if they fit this amp (I just checked the power supply is ok), but anyway... very open, balanced and detailed, doesn't lack anything I want. Bass is strong enough and well controlled; mids are the best I have heard from all these opamps, so natural and detailed. Treble has good presence but not hash at all. They definitely sound better than 4627a to my ears. Very natural yet smooth sound indeed. Truely suggest you have a try!

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #2,070 of 2,354
  I had a similar experience with OPA627 and AD797 as you and I don't really like their sound.

Today I just put in a pair of LME49710's (borrowed from another cheap diy amp) and I love them! I don't know much about opamps and I am not even sure if they fit this amp (I just checked the power supply is ok), but anyway... very open, balanced and detailed, doesn't lack anything I want. Bass is strong enough and well controlled; mids are the best I have heard from all these opamps, so natural and detailed. Treble has good presence but not hash at all. They definitely sound better than 4627a to my ears. Very natural yet smooth sound indeed. Truely suggest you have a try!

Thanks for the suggestion, LME49710 is not one of the opamps offered by Nick but if you have tried it and confirmed working then I will give it a try soon. For now I will enjoy AD797.

EDIT: checked it's spec. Almost similar to AD797. Being an SMD device, it will take me some time to try it. I still can't find where to get the DIP8 adaptor locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back