New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Nov 8, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #691 of 2,354
Quote:
Haven't focused on the DAC aspect because I'm tooooooooooooooooooo chicken to root my source (iPhone 4s). 

But I will tell you this; at 9 o'clock on the Leck running flat & high gain with Smeggy or Westy, sounds perfectly fabulous to me.
L3000.gif

By smeggy you mean the thunderpants, moded fostex t50rp ?

I don't have any idea what a Westy is, sorry, i'm still new to all this.

Don't you have a computer to do this test for me, please ^^?

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #692 of 2,354
Quote:
Haven't focused on the DAC aspect because I'm tooooooooooooooooooo chicken to root my source (iPhone 4s). 

But I will tell you this; at 9 o'clock on the Leck running flat & high gain with Smeggy or Westy, sounds perfectly fabulous to me.
L3000.gif

Well... Thats sounds like a big value to me. I'll probably get my units very soon. Can't Wait!
atsmile.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #693 of 2,354
Quote:
I like my uha-6s-mkii better than my RSA Predator.
gs1000.gif

Quote:
That's quite a feat since the predator goes for what? $475.00 lol. Then again at the same time I'm not surprised at all this amp crushes other $500+ amps. It's a great value for the money.

I have the UHA-6S (first generation) and the RSA SR-71B. I can't honestly say either is better: I consider them peers, sonically. They sound different because they were designed with different goals in mind. Each has their own strengths with different music and equipment.

Considering the Leckerton is half the price of the RSA and also includes a DAC, I think it's a stone cold deal.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #694 of 2,354
I have the UHA-6S (first generation) and the RSA SR-71B. I can't honestly say either is better: I consider them peers, sonically. They sound different because they were designed with different goals in mind. Each has their own strengths with different music and equipment.

Considering the Leckerton is half the price of the RSA and also includes a DAC, I think it's a stone cold deal.

Is one of them not transparent?

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #695 of 2,354
Quote:
 By smeggy you mean the thunderpants, moded fostex t50rp ?

I don't have any idea what a Westy is, sorry, i'm still new to all this.

Don't you have a computer to do this test for me, please ^^?

Right on the Smeggy; Westy is an IEM - Westone W4R with Chris_Himself Recable Mod.

I do have a laptop but dnk how to bypass it's internal DAC... 

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #696 of 2,354
Quote:
Right on the Smeggy; Westy is an IEM - Westone W4R with Chris_Himself Recable Mod.

I do have a laptop but dnk how to bypass it's internal DAC... 

Plug your UHA6 MKII into your laptop via UBS. That will allow you to bypass the DAC and you plug into your UHA6 MKII via the HO to use its DAC. If  your PC also has Optical or Coaxil you can do it  this way as well but get 24/96 support. On USB you are limited to 16/44 or 16/48. One of those.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #697 of 2,354
Listening to the UHA now with the ER-6. So so nice. And it's such a compact and efficiently designed machine too. Very happy with this purchase. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #698 of 2,354
Quote:
Is one of them not transparent?

The RSA has a smoother, liquid sound and incredibly wide soundstage. The Leckerton is colder, with a slight grit to the sound and has a comparatively narrow soundstage. It's slightly misleading to say one is stereotypically tubelike and one is stereotypically transistor-like, but it should give you some idea of the difference in character. There are times when the RSA seems mushy and lacks impact, and times when the Leckerton sounds harsh.

Given the appropriate source and headphones, the RSA is better than the Leckerton. There's real magic going on when the Heir Audio 4.A is paired with the RSA with a balanced cable; I find it easy to get lost in any good music with this combination. On the other hand, I've got a new pair of IEMs for which the RSA sounds kind of bland and the Leckerton is a better fit.

There isn't really such a thing as perfect fidelity, because all equipment errs in some way, and errors tend to be additive. What interests me is achieving a high quality of audio reproduction that makes the music believable and immersive, and there are many ways to do that.

Like I said, I consider these amps peers, each with their strengths. They complement each other well and I have no intention of getting rid of either of them. That Leckerton can design a compact portable amp that performs at this level for less than $300 is a remarkable feat; I've heard my share of big-ticket desktop and home audio systems that fail to be as engaging.

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #699 of 2,354
Quote:

The RSA has a smoother, liquid sound and incredibly wide soundstage. The Leckerton is colder, with a slight grit to the sound and has a comparatively narrow soundstage. It's slightly misleading to say one is stereotypically tubelike and one is stereotypically transistor-like, but it should give you some idea of the difference in character. There are times when the RSA seems mushy and lacks impact, and times when the Leckerton sounds harsh.

That is with OPA209 yeah?

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #700 of 2,354
I decided to try out the 627 op amp today and took apart the Leckerton.  When I looked at the 209 that's in there, it's way smaller than the 627 and it looks like it's soldered in.  I don't think I'll be trying out the 627's and if someone wants to buy them, let me know.  

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #701 of 2,354
Quote:
I decided to try out the 627 op amp today and took apart the Leckerton.  When I looked at the 209 that's in there, it's way smaller than the 627 and it looks like it's soldered in.  I don't think I'll be trying out the 627's and if someone wants to buy them, let me know.  

It is not way smaller than the 627 nor is it soldered on. Did you buy the wrong 627?

This image is taken from the first post:

The entire dark green squarish 'board' is to be treated as a whole and removed altogether. Then, you will find the sockets underneath it that will fit the 8 feets of the OPA627

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #703 of 2,354
Quote:
 I bought the one lee shared the link to from mouser.  I'll post pics later on when I attempt to strip the screws one more time to open the unit.  

None of the UHA-6S MKII are shipped with the opamps soldered on I believe.

Also, do remember the alignment of the original opamp as wrong alignment of the opamp may cause some damage...

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #704 of 2,354
Quote:

DannyBai 627AP is noticeably bigger looking than 209 and 8610. Actually 8610 and 209 have their own boards while 627 is a big chip with pins attached to it. Use a pair of tweezers or a dip extractor and gently pull up under the 209 chips. You'll want to stick the tweezers under the gap and gently wiggle them up and out of the board. As I said earlier with 627AP you will have to slightly bend the pins inward so that they are facing more so straight down instead of like a triangle shape. Very easy to do and once you've done this just gently work them into the pin holes and pushes them all the way down. Make sure to match up the right position on the board though. If you look closely at Op-Amp 209 you'll see a square solder mark. Make sure to have the circle mark on Op-Amp 627AP match the same direction. Also don't worry about 627AP not fitting. Nick purposely pointed me to these chips. I wouldn't give you the wrong directions :wink:. They work for me they should work for you.

I'll upload some pictures to make this idiot proof (not meant as an insult :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back