New JVC Wood - HA-SW01 and HA-SW02
May 22, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #61 of 171
an update on the price paid 37,400 yen or about 345 us dollar  for the 02.  these are my travel headphones as they are very very durable. yodobashi visa promotion 5% and tax free 8% reduction.  Once i got the bal. cables from surf cables i was very impressed the talk of the bass being soft for me non issue, high ends cleaned up nicely with the cables.  played on onkyo dp-x1 2.5mm 4 ring.

May 23, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #62 of 171
an update on the price paid 37,400 yen or about 345 us dollar  for the 02.  these are my travel headphones as they are very very durable. yodobashi visa promotion 5% and tax free 8% reduction.  Once i got the bal. cables from surf cables i was very impressed the talk of the bass being soft for me non issue, high ends cleaned up nicely with the cables.  played on onkyo dp-x1 2.5mm 4 ring.

Which cables specifically did you get?

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #64 of 171
Just a little background -- I have only 1 other pair of moderately high-end over-ear headphones (Denon AH-D2000... though I also have RBH HP-2's on order!), only have had 2 pairs of high end IEM's (JVC FX850 and Ortofon eq5)... I don't get in to this stuff nearly as much as many of the posters I see here, so just saying take my opinion with a grain of salt and see what others think too.

Some more impressions after about 15-20 hours burn-in on the WOOD 01's. 

I've been doing more back-and-forth comparisons with the FX850 IEM's. Make no mistake about this -- I am a huge fan of the FX850's, I have no desire to ever buy another pair of IEM's because I love the way they sound -- they're perfect for me and the types of music I listen to, and the fact that I am such a fan of them is why I blindly dropped $700 on a pair of WOOD 01's. I was hoping the WOOD 01's would be the over-ear equivalent of the FX850's. I'm not really finding that to be the case -- that doesn't mean I don't like the WOOD 01's, they're just different than the FX850's. 

FX850's have incredibly deep, warm bass... on heavy rock songs or electronic music it adds a ton of impact, on acoustic stuff it sounds warm and inviting. The WOOD 01's lack that really powerful bass you get with the FX850's, they're more neutral sounding to my ears. What I've noticed when comparing them side by side is that the bass on the FX850's actually hides some of the detail that you can hear with the WOOD 01's. 

Some of the music I've listened to with the WOOD 01's that has really stunned me is stuff from Elliott Smith, tracks from the beatles like 'Here Comes The Sun', Neil Young - Harvest, George Harrison - All Things Must Pass (album), classical piano, jazz, etc. The WOOD 01's have pleasing bass, but it just won't knock your socks off like the FX850's. More neutral/detailed sounding.

I've been driving the WOOD 01's with a JVC SU-AX7 amp but also have a Hifiman EF2A amp I need to try them out with also. Also bear in mind that some of the Japanese reviews say that the sound changes after about 40+ hours, which I'm not quite there yet... just wanted to share my experience thus far. 

Any recent impressions on these?

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #65 of 171
Got myself a SW02 and FX1200, seriously i love the craftsmanship, it is exquisite and solid for the structure. In term of sound, SW01 comparing with 02, i like the SW02 slightly more, as 02 has slight warmer and richer in mid signature, more trimmed treble, while SW01 has the dynamic range. 

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #66 of 171
  Got myself a SW02 and FX1200, seriously i love the craftsmanship, it is exquisite and solid for the structure. In term of sound, SW01 comparing with 02, i like the SW02 slightly more, as 02 has slight warmer and richer in mid signature, more trimmed treble, while SW01 has the dynamic range. 

Please keep us posted with more updates. Burn-in results, sound characteristics etc. 

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #67 of 171

Please keep us posted with more updates. Burn-in results, sound characteristics etc. 

I just got the SW02 not too long, currently still burning in, as standard, it is harsh and unrefined fresh out of box, treble is slight over, after 50 hours, it trimmed down a little, currently still going through the process.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #68 of 171
Hi, a quick question about these cans, are they balanced?  I've asked this to a JVC sales person in Taiwan, they told me it's already balanced and i guess just need new balanced cables, anyone know if it's the case?  thx

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #69 of 171
Hi, a quick question about these cans, are they balanced?  I've asked this to a JVC sales person in Taiwan, they told me it's already balanced and i guess just need new balanced cables, anyone know if it's the case?  thx

They're already balanced with the cable they come with.

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #71 of 171
3 new Wood IEM models have been announced for October release, as well as a new dual 3.5mm balanced connector for the new SU-AX01 amp. The IEMs are now under the premium "S-Class" brand, and are also advertised as in-ear versions of the recent SW01/02 headphones rather than upgrades of the FX line. They are now FW01/2/3. From the impressions, it seems as though they retain the trademark bass that was missing from the wood headphones.

JVC: FW01FW02FW03SU-AX01

AV Watch: New wood/ Amp
Phileweb: New wood/ Amp

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #72 of 171
  3 new Wood IEM models have been announced for October release, as well as a new dual 3.5mm balanced connector for the new SU-AX01 amp. The IEMs are now under the premium "S-Class" brand, and are also advertised as in-ear versions of the recent SW01/02 headphones rather than upgrades of the FX line. They are now FW01/2/3. From the impressions, it seems as though they retain the trademark bass that was missing from the wood headphones.

JVC: FW01FW02FW03SU-AX01

AV Watch: New wood/ Amp
Phileweb: New wood/ Amp

Thanks for sharing! I was pretty disappointed in the S-Class stuff I tried, hopefully these will be closer if not in sound at least quality, to the fx iems. Nice looking balanced dac/amp too... not gobs of power but I like that they use standard 3.5mm for the balanced connection, and big fan of the ability improve output power by using external power supply, if I read that correctly (looking at Quickstep and iBasso p5 recently I believe have that feature).

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #73 of 171

Thanks for sharing! I was pretty disappointed in the S-Class stuff I tried, hopefully these will be closer if not in sound at least quality, to the fx iems.

did you try the HA-SS01 ?

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #74 of 171
did you try the HA-SS01 ?

01 and 02 IIRC. Not the woodies though... was only in-store though so maybe my impression was way off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back