New JVC Wood - HA-SW01 and HA-SW02
Jan 19, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #31 of 171
Just a little background -- I have only 1 other pair of moderately high-end over-ear headphones (Denon AH-D2000... though I also have RBH HP-2's on order!), only have had 2 pairs of high end IEM's (JVC FX850 and Ortofon eq5)... I don't get in to this stuff nearly as much as many of the posters I see here, so just saying take my opinion with a grain of salt and see what others think too.

Some more impressions after about 15-20 hours burn-in on the WOOD 01's. 

I've been doing more back-and-forth comparisons with the FX850 IEM's. Make no mistake about this -- I am a huge fan of the FX850's, I have no desire to ever buy another pair of IEM's because I love the way they sound -- they're perfect for me and the types of music I listen to, and the fact that I am such a fan of them is why I blindly dropped $700 on a pair of WOOD 01's. I was hoping the WOOD 01's would be the over-ear equivalent of the FX850's. I'm not really finding that to be the case -- that doesn't mean I don't like the WOOD 01's, they're just different than the FX850's. 

FX850's have incredibly deep, warm bass... on heavy rock songs or electronic music it adds a ton of impact, on acoustic stuff it sounds warm and inviting. The WOOD 01's lack that really powerful bass you get with the FX850's, they're more neutral sounding to my ears. What I've noticed when comparing them side by side is that the bass on the FX850's actually hides some of the detail that you can hear with the WOOD 01's. 

Some of the music I've listened to with the WOOD 01's that has really stunned me is stuff from Elliott Smith, tracks from the beatles like 'Here Comes The Sun', Neil Young - Harvest, George Harrison - All Things Must Pass (album), classical piano, jazz, etc. The WOOD 01's have pleasing bass, but it just won't knock your socks off like the FX850's. More neutral/detailed sounding.

I've been driving the WOOD 01's with a JVC SU-AX7 amp but also have a Hifiman EF2A amp I need to try them out with also. Also bear in mind that some of the Japanese reviews say that the sound changes after about 40+ hours, which I'm not quite there yet... just wanted to share my experience thus far. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #32 of 171
I think I'm getting Wood

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #35 of 171

How does it sound with EDM, hiphop, Top 40 music?

Tough to answer as those are not genres I typically gravitate towards so I have a hard time saying if I think it is good for that type of music or not. Hopefully someone else can chime in with their thoughts as well. My gut response is if you're looking for a lot of bass/impact, no, I wouldn't go for these for that type of music. I don't know what is considered "good" for that type of music so it's hard for me to say. The WOOD 01's sound pretty neutral to my ears and get a lot of detail. 

I demo'd a bunch of stuff today in these genres and can offer my brief impressions, can maybe draw conclusions from my impressions if they will suit your taste: 

Electronic:
- Aphex Twin - Syro (album) sounds awesome
- Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel (album) sounds great but wish it had more bass
- Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence (song) sounds awesome, love the detail
- Radiohead - Kid A (album) - I know this isn't exactly an electronic album but it sounds outstanding!
- IAMX - Northstar (song) - wish it had more punch, this song should kick your butt but not really getting it with these headphones
- Sneaker Pimps - Bloodsport & The Fuel (song) - really cool hearing some of the details and generally sounds great but wish they had more bass/punch

Hip Hop:
- Dr Dre - Forgot About Dre - have a hard time listening to it, very detailed, all those little glitchy high pitched sounds in the background are not pleasant.
- Kanye West - Monster - This song has some serious bass but with WOOD 01's you don't really get your socks knocked off like you would maybe expect
- Kanye West - Paranoid - Sounds great

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #36 of 171
Does anyone know what the differences between the Wood 01 and Wood 02 are?

Thanks.

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #37 of 171
  Does anyone know what the differences between the Wood 01 and Wood 02 are?

Thanks.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=https://www3.jvckenwood.com/accessory/wood2015/&prev=search

There's a table on there that shows the difference. The features listed that are exclusive to the WOOD 01 are as follows:
- Wood baffle
- Hibikibo (I don't know what this is, quick google search makes it sound like some sort of reinforcing plate?)
- Safe wood plug
- Solder for acoustic

As for what those actually mean for the sound, no idea.

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #39 of 171
This thread seems pretty quiet, is it not available worldwide , was comparing between Wood 01 and T5p gen 2

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #41 of 171
Wonder whether will they be available at Canjam SG?

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #42 of 171
I think it's more due to the price than availability... (i.e. if you want them, you can get them fairly easy via pricejapan, ebay, etc.)

Feb 15, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #43 of 171
I think it's more due to the price than availability... (i.e. if you want them, you can get them fairly easy via pricejapan, ebay, etc.)

At this price, some people would want to buy them from a retail store instead of online (warranty)

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #44 of 171
A review in Japanese: http://review.kakaku.com/review/K0000828295/

Can someone make some sense of it? Google Translate is not very good at translating Japanese to English.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back