New Jecklin Float QA !!!
Feb 12, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #646 of 740

Shop opened: http://www.Quad-Musik-shop.com

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #647 of 740
Hello,

This headphone seems very interesting and I have several question about it.
It is confortable ?
How much power it requires ? And with which amplifier it paired well ?
The presentation of the sound is more inside the head than Abyss or SR009 ?

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #648 of 740
  Hello,

It is confortable ?

The Abyss doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as the 009, but ignoring that, I'm also rather curious about them as well. Does anyone even own these yet? Since this thread died I haven't seen any reviews, or news, or anything about them for that matter...

Apr 7, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #649 of 740
Maybe muppet face can chime in. I recall she likes it better than 009.

Myself, I only heard diy version of such open frame cans and was very pleased by the soundstage, getting rid of cushion really helps.

One Drawback is lack of sub-bass but not to the point of feeling the lack of bass (for the diy unit I heard that is). Due to the large movements at the first resonance of the diaphragm, you may also get a feeling of driver proximity, not sure how the float manages there.

I'd really to hear the floats some day...

Arnaud

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #650 of 740
I have the original floats so cannot comment on the latest model
I have always found the floats comfortable, one of the most comfortable of any headphones
However some people did not like the stability of the original float so the headband has been redesigned to provide greater stability on the head via the two headbands. Some ridicule the unconventional and futuristic design of the original, but I think its unique and a classic.  
I drive my original floats with 15 watt power amplifier. I believe QUAD Musikwiedergabe suggest a power amplifier of minimum 30 watts for the new Float QA
QUAD Musikwiedergabe pair them with their new 204 or the original Quad 303/404, but any decent sounding amplifier should suffice. The headphones will take on the flavour and capabilities of the amplifier you pair if with. Some like the original float powered by the Quad II valve monoblocks designed to power the Quad ELS 57 speakers. 

IMO the Float has always had a presentation of sound unique compared to any other headphone. Probably the nearest would be the AKG K100, but I think the Float is better. It has all the usual superior qualities of electrostatics such as speed and transparency. However as its a totally open design which is not directly coupled to the ears, very deep bass can be a little rolled off, but its overall presentation IMO more than compensates for this. Its a completely out of the head presentation with decent recordings.
The original float does not dig out the same level of detail as the 009 and the bass slam is less than either the 009 or the Abyss. The original was designed in the late 1970's and can still hold its own today.

I believe the new float QA uses the original driver design in a new frame so sonically they should be very similar to the original. However; the transformer box which drives them has been redesigned and improved which I understand has greatly improved their level of bass output.

The two users who have had the new floats for a long time are Muppet Face and kiertijai, they should be able to provide some up to date comparisons, especially with the 009/Abyss

Quote:
  Hello,

It is confortable ?

The Abyss doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as the 009, but ignoring that, I'm also rather curious about them as well. Does anyone even own these yet? Since this thread died I haven't seen any reviews, or news, or anything about them for that matter...

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #651 of 740
The Abyss doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as the 009, but ignoring that...

This.

Also, we need a whole thread regarding the sex appeal of anything Jecklin.

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #652 of 740

Also, we need a whole thread regarding the sex appeal of anything Jecklin.

This.

The two users who have had the new floats for a long time are Muppet Face and kiertijai, they should be able to provide some up to date comparisons, especially with the 009/Abyss

Hopefully one of them sees this thread and offers a comparison...

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #655 of 740
  Ridiculous comment !!

Would you mind elaborating just a tiny bit?

Having finally had a chance to listen to the Abyss, I do think that takato's right.

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #657 of 740
  You tested the abyss of Pierre 10mn in Paris without the  greet.
Seriously 10 minutes to test headphones seems insufficient.

This is what I thought; we touch the limits of such short demonstrations in public in a noisy environment;  one the one hand, the visitor can be potentially influenced by the seller (or the exhibitor) in front of him, or his neighbour, or by the comments that he had read on a review or forum before listening to this headphone, and other part that he had not had enough time to hear all the qualities (and defects) of this headphone.

I conclude that all people who have listened to the Abyss in Paris at the meeting from March 15, and who, for most of them, have left the meeting with a rather favourable opinion of the Abyss, have not really a opinion valid  because they were potentially influenced by the exhibitor/vendor or, more likely, have not have time to see everything this headphone could reveal or hide ; among other things an high-midrange slightly scooped and treble not at the top of the sound reproduction, at least if one believes the test prolonged of this headphone made by Tyll on Innerfidelity (link: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/jps-labs-abyss-ab-1266-planar-magnetic-headphones)

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #658 of 740

Having finally had a chance to listen to the Abyss, I do think that takato's right.

+1
I have heard this combination during last weekends NY Spring meet :

900x900px-LL-2cc25d01_AbyssWoo.jpeg

I take for granted that the set up was selected to preset the Abyss to its full potential.
I don't know any specifics about the source quality (Sony laptop, WOO Audio DAC) or the tube amp.
It was a relatively short listen but from the piano representation of Dave Brubeck "Blue Rondo a la turk" (from: Time Out), there were some issues in the decay. It sounded almost metallic and not natural, just my personal impression. Also the sound stage was clearly lacking behind the HD800. Apart from that, after 5 minutes I got a headache from the weight of these cans. If lack of comfort is not allowing for extended listening sessions, what's the point of the product ? For me comfort is a critical "must have", not a "nice to have".

The SR-009 where shown with the headamp BHSE and these were without a doubt head and shoulders above the Abyss in the set-up shown in the picture above.
900x900px-LL-1d85f4c2_BHSE009-1009377.jpeg

But to get to the topic of the thread here:
I heard the new Float at last year's NYC Audio Show. Unfortunately the room was so crammed with chatting visitors that it was impossible to adequately judge anything but the comfort feeling. The new version is definitely an improvement over the "classic" or "ur" Float but I guess you still have to sit upright when sporting these cans otherwise they will fall off. At the time I was not yet seriously into headphones, otherwise I would have definitely paid more attention or returned back to the stand to listen to them during a less busy moment. And sorry no picture from the new Float
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #659 of 740
It has since been claimed that the pair which Tyll had for review were faulty in some way which resulted in some of his criticisms. Tyll noted some things which he felt were equivalent/superior over the 009 and visa versa.
Personally I have never heard any dynamic or ortho headphones that can match the natural, smooth and extended treble, glorious mid-range and speed of electrostatics. I am also very picky regarding how the headphone presents the soundstage and the layering within that soundstage. Again few if any can rival electrostatics in this area. 
I have not heard the Abyss as they are not that easy to get hold of in the UK so cannot comment and am not prepared to shell out such a large sum just to try when the Stax are so good. 

Most orthos I have tried roll off and are relatively soft at the top end and tend to have a fairly narrow soundstage.  I don't find most of them very comfortable due to their physical weight and clamping effect on the head. Unless someone comes up with a suitable lightweight magnetic material this is always going the be their drawback.

Quote:

This is what I thought; we touch the limits of such short demonstrations in public in a noisy environment;  one the one hand, the visitor can be potentially influenced by the seller (or the exhibitor) in front of him, or his neighbour, or by the comments that he had read on a review or forum before listening to this headphone, and other part that he had not had enough time to hear all the qualities (and defects) of this headphone.

I conclude that all people who have listened to the Abyss in Paris at the meeting from March 15, and who, for most of them, have left the meeting with a rather favourable opinion of the Abyss, have not really a opinion valid  because they were potentially influenced by the exhibitor/vendor or, more likely, have not have time to see everything this headphone could reveal or hide ; among other things an high-midrange slightly scooped and treble not at the top of the sound reproduction, at least if one believes the test prolonged of this headphone made by Tyll on Innerfidelity (link: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/jps-labs-abyss-ab-1266-planar-magnetic-headphones)

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #660 of 740
Originally Posted by complin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It has since been claimed that the pair which Tyll had for review were faulty in some way which resulted in some of his criticisms. Tyll noted some things which he felt were equivalent/superior over the 009 and visa versa.
Personally I have never heard any dynamic or ortho headphones that can match the natural, smooth and extended treble, glorious mid-range and speed of electrostatics. I am also very picky regarding how the headphone presents the soundstage and the layering within that soundstage. Again few if any can rival electrostatics in this area. 
I have not heard the Abyss as they are not that easy to get hold of in the UK so cannot comment and am not prepared to shell out such a large sum just to try when the Stax are so good. 

Most orthos I have tried roll off and are relatively soft at the top end and tend to have a fairly narrow soundstage.  I don't find most of them very comfortable due to their physical weight and clamping effect on the head. Unless someone comes up with a suitable lightweight magnetic material this is always going the be their drawback.

I read it as you, but I admit to having trouble believing it.
This is really bad luck on the part of Joe Skubinski of having delivered to Tyll a defective copy of his precious headphone until it is examined by all the seams by Tyll.
I would like to have confirmation of Joe Skubinski on it and it tell us what was this defect and what he has done since to correct it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back