new jaguar
Jan 12, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #46 of 55
i dont like the xkr, i love the xk8 hardtop though. the xkr just tries to add agressiveness to a design that is just understated fluid lines.

Jan 12, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by dffman2001
As for the manual transmission; it is simply not fitting for a car of this character. Although Manual transmissions do have its advantages; in many cases of todays vehicles do not need them any more. First, cars today have enough power that the manual no longer provides benefits of significance in this area. I say this because in the era where 175hp was huge (Mercedes Benz 300SL gullwing; won tons of races, loads of power for the time) the manual was important because it allowed the driver greater control of the RPM of the engine such that it could be kept in the optimal, toriquiest range. These days, motors have plenty of power and flat torque curves.

I don't disagree with what you've said here, but a car just isn't as much fun to drive without a manual, IMO. Automatics and F1-style trannies lack the driver input that a real sports car has.

Jan 12, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #50 of 55
I agree the Vanquish is stylistically the car to beat, it's absolutely DDG. This Jag has a few things I don't like about it, which could very well change when I see it in real life.

Some negatives and positives about the design that are purely my opinion:
I don't care for the addition of the brake ducts as I feel they disrupt the smoothness of the design.
The highly defined hood bulges seem like a conflict to the smooth wheel wells.
The front lights seem a bit close to the front wheels.
The front bumper may benefit from some more noticable grillwork.
In the front below the nose somewhat squarish in the side view and would look nice if it came to more of a point.
Attractive rear bumper that continues the lines of the hatch.
Ultra attractive window and door lines.
Door handle is a nice compliment to the sleek design.
Rear lights are very unique and attractive, but may draw too much attention.
The interior work is unbelievable, especially the rear view mirror and hatch upholstery.
Low wide stance is always a plus in my book.

But all in all hats off to Jag designers for making some awesome looking cars.

Jan 12, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #51 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
I don't disagree with what you've said here, but a car just isn't as much fun to drive without a manual, IMO. Automatics and F1-style trannies lack the driver input that a real sports car has.

Fun, maybe; need, hardly.

Like I said, the manual has fallen out of necessity in recent years unless for track application or preference. Sequential clutchless can shift faster and at extreme applications provide more consistantly maximise performance. For example, the launch control available in some of these cars somewhat eliminate guesswork on when to release the clutch to have the optimal balance of wheelspin and grip to minimise acceleration time.

Any person looking for a real "fun" car would be looking at cars such as the: Mazda RX8, Lotus Elise, Honda S2000, Ferarri F430, Porsche GT2

Jaguar should aim, and always has aimed, as a graceful luxury car with sporty undertones. Not a edgy sportscar. I think that most of the market wont be looking for a manual, but instead want the luxury, but sporty image that the cat provides.

Jan 12, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #52 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by dffman2001
Fun, maybe; need, hardly.

Like I said, the manual has fallen out of necessity in recent years unless for track application or preference. Sequential clutchless can shift faster and at extreme applications provide more consistantly maximise performance. For example, the launch control available in some of these cars somewhat eliminate guesswork on when to release the clutch to have the optimal balance of wheelspin and grip to minimise acceleration time.

Any person looking for a real "fun" car would be looking at cars such as the: Mazda RX8, Lotus Elise, Honda S2000, Ferarri F430, Porsche GT2

Jaguar should aim, and always has aimed, as a graceful luxury car with sporty undertones. Not a edgy sportscar. I think that most of the market wont be looking for a manual, but instead want the luxury, but sporty image that the cat provides.

I have to say that until these new "clutchless" or "manual-matic" transmissions get smarter,I'll be shifting for myself. I've owned a BMW M3 SMG and driven a 360 F1 and another 360 without F1 and I gotta say that I was faster and smoother than the "F1" style transmissions in both cars. I've also driven a GT3 Cup Racer with the sequential clutch operated trans and do agree that sequential,clutchless upshifting is the fastest way to go. I think that driver clutched downshifting and rev matching is faster and smarter than any computer controlled examples I've driven so far. I hear the new SMG in the M5 is the smartest and fastest but I have to drive one to confirm that.

Anyway,I can't imagine a modern Jag with a manual transmission but here I am driving a Caddy with a screaming V-8,rear drive and six-speed manual trans,so anything is possible.

Jan 12, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #54 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
as a former jag owner, i have to say the overwhelming ASTON statement of the styling is dissapointing. no don't get me wrong i _LOVE_ the db9, and can't wait to test drive it when i am given the chance, but the loss of a distinctly JAGUAR character in its design is sad for me.

i knew of the cross platform sharing that was going to happen within the prestige group at ford, and i know the db7 ran on the old xj chassis, but if its going to be like the ford/mercury/lincoln/whatever simple rebadging and different trim of ford usa then i don't like it one little bit.

I see where you're coming from on jag traits. I do NOT like jag and AM being alike in styling. They never were and never will hopefully. Total accord with you on the miscue of design direction, even the exterior. The interior is a disaster. Now I'm being very critical, but jags should appeal sleek, lean, curvy, sexy attributes.

Lately, cross platform in auto industry is commonly practiced. Only difference is executing a good job based on the same platform. Nissan has done almighty job in regarding this exercise. So did VW in many of their brands. I really don't have problem as long as it's top-down approach. This also gives the marketing uplift as Ford using Volvo chassis rather than Volvo using Ford chassis. Perfect example would be Audi>VW>Seat>Skoda trickling down system. Many consumers will NOT be happy if the cycle was reversed in order. Of course this assumption is based on a proven chassis and drivetrain.

For this reason, I dissed Jag X-type as Ford Mondeo and Volvo V40 as Ford Focus. Even the 1st generation Jag S-type suffered alot from using Lincoln LS. However 2nd gen. S-type is a vast improvement over 1st, but it's too late. They have to get it right the first time when they're in simultaneous product development. Tweaking helps alot in this dept. as I feel a considerable difference between Porsche Cayenne and VW Touareg in driving.

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #55 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I like the overall body styling, but the overdone metal trim screams Nissan Z too me.
tongue.gif

-Ed

That's what I was thinking. As if the Z's chunky silver door handles weren't obnoxious enough, Jaguar's gone and made the air scoop the same obnoxious silver.

Plus the head and tail lights are ugly. Not that I would turn one down if offered.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back