New iPods: The Downside
May 8, 2003 at 8:38 PM Post #121 of 124
Quote:

Originally posted by maczrool
Anyone notice that the playback timer on the new iPods does not run evenly? Sometimes it will change from one second to the next at half second intervals or some other fraction of a full second.

I have also noticed some strange distortion on mine (15 GB). It is sort of a warbly sound from pianos and guitars on some tracks. It's there on line out and headphones. Playing the same track on other MP3 plays does not give the distortion. Anyone else experience this?

Stu

You're a very observant fellow, Stu.
smily_headphones1.gif

You're right about timer. I had to watch it awhile before being convinced, but I agree that it does sometimes take a half second step. I'll check to see if the earlier models do this, since I doubt I would have noticed.

I've never heard the slightest distortion on any iPod. I'm beginning to warm up to the new buttons, but any sign of distortion will bring a quick, sad end to what has been a beautiful relationship.
tongue.gif

May 8, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #122 of 124
well, i now have in my grubby little hands a cheque for £230.

so as soon as it clears into my bank account...i shall be placing an order for....i think it's gonna be the zen.

regardless of all the other points i made, and people have made to me, the two that swung it were:

1. longer battery life
2. usb support

May 9, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #123 of 124
I just signed up here today, so maybe I won't command much authority, but I'm of the opinion that you all need to chill out. Well not all of you, but a lot.

Anyways, as this is my first post, I use a G4/400, and have an original 5gb iPod. I love it dearly, but my friend wants to buy it, and I want to buy a new 15gb model. This thread gave me some stuff to think about, so I thank all of you, and I think I'll still go through with the purchase, after I test one out at the Apple Store. I didn't notice the clicking on my 5gb model, and actually I've had minimal problems with it during its' year long lifespan. A few resets, but nothing serious, and it puts up with a lot of abuse.

I do have a question for anyone owning a new model iPod: How noticeable is the size/weight difference? I know they give the information, but I'm bad with weight estimations unless I can actually hold one.

May 9, 2003 at 2:55 AM Post #124 of 124
Quote:

Originally posted by graphiteacorn
I just signed up here today, so maybe I won't command much authority, but I'm of the opinion that you all need to chill out. Well not all of you, but a lot.

Anyways, as this is my first post, I use a G4/400, and have an original 5gb iPod. I love it dearly, but my friend wants to buy it, and I want to buy a new 15gb model. This thread gave me some stuff to think about, so I thank all of you, and I think I'll still go through with the purchase, after I test one out at the Apple Store. I didn't notice the clicking on my 5gb model, and actually I've had minimal problems with it during its' year long lifespan. A few resets, but nothing serious, and it puts up with a lot of abuse.

I do have a question for anyone owning a new model iPod: How noticeable is the size/weight difference? I know they give the information, but I'm bad with weight estimations unless I can actually hold one.

Welcome, graphiteacorn. We don't observe any pecking order around here and we're glad to have you aboard.

The tick doesn't occur in either my first or second generation players. It does in the new models, but most seem not to be bothered to the degree I am. Maybe I just tend to be more cantankerous than most.
tongue.gif

Like you, I've had excellent service from the previous models and I expect the same from this one. You'll love some of the differences. Others take a little getting used to. Even the tick isn't too irksome.

I have no experience with the 15, but I can tell you that even the 30 is both lighter and thinner than the 5, and significantly so compared to the 20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back