New iPods: The Downside
May 5, 2003 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 124

Spad

Headphoneus Supremus
I've now had the new 30GB iPod for a couple of days, and after extensive use I have to recommend against buying the new model.

There are two main problems with this generation: an audible click between tracks and extremely sensitive, possibly unpredictable button response.

Since I own a few thousand shares of Apple stock, I can't tell you how it pains me to say this. I'm a longtime Apple fan and absolutely love my other iPods. Although the new version has some great pluses, until the click issue is addressed I recommend giving this one a pass.
frown.gif

May 5, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 124
The click is not that bad. I hardly notice it at all. That can probably addressed via software update.

As for the buttons, I agree with you there. I guess its just something we have to learn to live with.

May 5, 2003 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 124
Audible clicks!!! That will certainly annoy me and deter me away from buying one. Do the older ipods have these clicks.

May 5, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 124
Quote:

Originally posted by MadDog5145
Audible clicks!!! That will certainly annoy me and deter me away from buying one. Do the older ipods have these clicks.

Not at all, and they sound exactly the same.

May 5, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 124
this doesn't sound good, but i don't think it will deter me from buying one of the new ipods.

as stan23 said, it can probably be fixed with a future upgrade.

and as long as the click is *between* the songs, not during them, i won't be too bothered.

and i think the buttons are maybe like laptop touchpads or screens on PDAs.

hell, if i can learn graffiti (which is a lot easier than i was led to belive) for use on my clie, then i can learn to right pressure for an ipod.

May 5, 2003 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 124
I wouldn't not buy a new Ipod just because it clicks between songs. I've been hearing the clicks and it doesn't really bother me. The Touch pad is qutie sensitive and I wouldn't recommend touching it with oily hands. I'm a very happy camper : ) I just wish the chrome back on the Ipod was more scratch resistant. Anyways, I was using the Ipod with the original case in the Gym today on the starmaster. To make a long story short, it fell in the from my hands to the floor about a 1.5m drop. My heart dropped too but turns out the Ipod didn't even get a scratch and is playing like normal! *Knock on Wood*. I love my new player!

May 6, 2003 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 124
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
The click is not that bad. I hardly notice it at all. That can probably addressed via software update.

As for the buttons, I agree with you there. I guess its just something we have to learn to live with.

And if the click can't be addressed by a firmware update? Still okay?

This is a $500 device and reputed to be the finest of its kind. In my opinion it is. But when I pay Mercedes prices I don't expect basic, easily detectable flaws. Does anyone doubt that Apple was aware of the click problem when this product went to market? How many of us would accept an audible click between tracks on even an $89 PCDP?

As a shareholder I'm likely more sensitive to such snafus than some. But, IMO, until this problem is rectified, the iPod to have is the second generation (SS scroll wheel) 20GB model.

May 6, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 124
please let me stress that the clicks were only audible to me after reading about them.

It just sounds like a tiny tick between track changes. It doesn't bother me in the least bit way.

May 6, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 124
What could be causing the clicks? I assume that this is in the data stream, and not a mechanical sound? Does it happen only on Mac-based iPods (w/iTunes), or both platforms? mp3's or AAC?

May 6, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 124
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
What could be causing the clicks? I assume that this is in the data stream, and not a mechanical sound? Does it happen only on Mac-based iPods (w/iTunes), or both platforms? mp3's or AAC?

Yes, it's in the data stream and is audible at both the headphone output and the line out. It occurs with all versions of the new models.

I have only AAC files on mine, so I can't say how it affects MP3s. It is not iTunes related since the same files play perfectly on my other (older) iPods which are running v1.3. Hopefully, the problem is limited to v2.0 and can be easily fixed.

Apple has a good track record of fixing problems--providing they generate enough notice. The PB5300 is a good example. It was a QC disaster and Apple countered by giving owners a lifetime warranty.

May 6, 2003 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 124
I thought I might as well get on this 'clicking' issue.

I have a 15gig model, and use windows (mp3s only), and have never encountered this 'clicking' sound between or during songs.
I've never had any lockups or freezes during playback either.

However, I have had my iPod go dead a couple of times (had to reset the iPod about 4 times since I got it on Saturday)... absolutely no idea why it's done this though.

Also, one major drawback with current firmware is the queuing. If you're currently listening to the 'on the go' playlist, and then add a song to it, that newly added song wont be played on the curently listened playlist. You have to restart the playlist for the added song to be recognized on the list.

However overall, Im pretty happy with my purchase.
tongue.gif

May 6, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 124
hmm... Interesting KennyX, I just noticed the problem you pointed out. Not really a problem actually. Normally I just add a ton of songs and shuffle it up.
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2003 at 8:06 AM Post #14 of 124
Having trouble sleeping so decided what the hell I'll lay down and test my first generation 5 gig iPod for clicks between tracks. IT'S THERE ON MINE TOO! It's very slight, but it's there. That being said I don't know if the severity of the click is as strong as the new ones. And I've had my iPod for nearly a year and never noticed it before. Used Koss 35's turned up a bit in relative silence (as close as San Francisco gets). Songs were encoded using various encoders (lame, itunes aac, itunes mp3). So now I wonder a) is this really a problem, b) is it likely to be fixed if it's been there for awhile, or c) was it introduced with firmware 1.3.

May 6, 2003 at 8:18 AM Post #15 of 124
Well, I guess everyone agrees it's there. But it's only a problem if you let it be. I couldn't care less if it clicks as long as it doesn't click mid way into the song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back