New iPods is coming
Sep 10, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #181 of 206
-it's the newest single platter drive.
-they don't need to make two case models.
-the cost of keeping a 160GB model probably outweighed the sales they thought it would bring in.

i'm not happy about it, but all dap manufacturers are moving away from hard drives. at these capacities, i'm guessing the potential market drops dramatically for even more capacity. i'll bet if we saw the market research, it would make perfect sense.

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #182 of 206
True, but its going to be a long while before we see commercially viable 160Gb flash drives.

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #183 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get the reduction in drive space on the Classic. Just doesn't make any sense.

Bad economy + low sales on the 160GB perhaps.? Instead they're streamlining and focusing on the Nano and iPhone which bring in the profits.. I think the touch will suffer too in sales but it brings in the income in other ways. The app store.

A small minority need the 160GB. It sucks but the drop is not that surprising. It doesn't mean it will stay like this forever either.

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #184 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bad economy + low sales on the 160GB perhaps.? Instead they're streamlining and focusing on the Nano and iPhone which bring in the profits.. I think the touch will suffer too in sales but it brings in the income in other ways. The app store.

A small minority need the 160GB. It sucks but the drop is not that surprising. It doesn't mean it will stay like this forever either.

As I said in the other thread, I bought a new 160 GB just now through the "clearance" link at The Apple Store. I want the extra capacity and I couldn't find any overriding reason to get the 120 GB instead. I was waiting to pull the trigger for months waiting for the announcement yesterday. I'm kind of disappointed too. I hope that I made the correct decision. I guess time will tell...I will be using the 160 GB exclusively with the Wadia and my home system.

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #185 of 206
Serious question, with the 160gb discontinued. Will waiting some time have its price go up or down? Cause I want to upgrade from my 80gb 5th generation, and I doubt 120g will hold out long space-wise (since I use as a portable HDD too).
Should I wait, or buy one now from ebay?
By the way the 120g supposedly is as thin as the 80gb; that's the 'specialty' it has.

Also another question, why do the Red-wine people avoid teh 6th generation Ipods; should this be a reason to avoid the 6th generations and stick to my 80g 5.5th? Or is all that irrelevant if I'm using a LOD?

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #186 of 206
Macworld | First Look: iPod touch

Oye, those new Touch 2G screens don't look too hot compared to the iPhones.
confused_face.gif
Didn't the original Touch have a similar issue with yellowish screens?

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #187 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a new 160 GB just now through the "clearance" link at The Apple Store.

I just ordered mine too! What a deal at $299! Thank you very much for the info!!!
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #188 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I went lossless I would have to mod a dap to hold a 5-TB discs and strap it around cargo pants

Not sure if I could pull off such a bold look

If it's any consolation, I'm not aware of too many people who could.
k701smile.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #189 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by insicor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Macworld | First Look: iPod touch

Oye, those new Touch 2G screens don't look too hot compared to the iPhones.
confused_face.gif
Didn't the original Touch have a similar issue with yellowish screens?

I've got the 2G 32gb Touch and I have seen no such yellow tinge. I tested an episode of House and it looked perfect.

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #190 of 206
Hmm, finished reading the review.

Should I buy, or should I not buy? I'm sort of tempted to get an iPod again (I only have a 1st gen nano atm), but not too sure whether that money should be spend on something else (e.g. headphones).

The Sound quality bit in the review worries me, but than my experience with my 1st gen nano with an amp has been pretty good. I wonder how well this nano will respond to an amp.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #192 of 206
The previous version touch seems like a good deal, too. I was almost tempted to get one but I really have no need for it so I didn't get it. But for someone who's interested in picking up a new touch, it's probably a better idea to get the old and and put the new firmware on it.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #194 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure the new firmware will load? It doesn't work that way for hard drive players.

I don't know if it's released yet but they're supposed to for the old touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back