New iPods is coming
Sep 9, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #152 of 206
I've never gotten the larger capacity thing. If you really need all your music at your finger tips, with current drive capacities, you must have fewer files than most of the Head-Fiers I know. How many tracks do you really need if you're focusing on a dozen or so artists/albums/moods, etc.? Can you focus above that?

Sep 9, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #153 of 206
The new Touch looks really amazing! Its price is very competitive.
I wish I still have the love for portable stuffs
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #154 of 206
New 4 and 8gb models will be in the stores (apple at least) on wednesday though possibly short supply with only a few units per color.

16gb nano and the 120 GB classic in next week

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #157 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the argument about the man with 10 000 lp makes little sense to compare with a portable unit where you can fan to any album within 30 seconds.

Sure, I never said otherwise.

Quote:

he cannot take those lp on the rode with him and if he did, he would never have access to more than a few at a time; we all have music libraries at home that are probably saved on external or massive internal boxes that we baby and pamper.

Sure but of course you betray your argument straight away by emphasizing that we now have the capacity to access any of those albums in under 30 seconds unlike sir vinylman who has to trek through his library. I have my home library pristinely stored, easily accessible and best of all! archived and backed up a few times. Guess what I want to do with one of those backups? Listen to them any time any where. This is the main advantage of DAPs. Small form factor with great capacity = anything I want when I want. I never have to decide a head of time what my mood will be at any point in the future.

Quote:

im sure, quite sure the people yelling on both sides of the fence need to lighten up.

Who is yelling?

Quote:

for some: less is more and for others, more is more. but to say that you need it is silly. need really needs to be redefined if so.

I do need it. As much as anyone needs a digital audio player. Look, we can be ridiculously extreme and claim that all anybody needs is a warm dry spot to sleep and decent food and clothing to survive. We aren't talking survive here. No one needs an iPod. No one needs headphones. No one needs music. We do need O2, Glucose, some H20 and a handful of amino acids and salts, some sleep and a decent temperature so we don't die. Maybe some emotional comfort from humans so we don't go insane and that about wraps it up. Personally I don't want to "just live." That said, being on a hobbiest forum focusing on audio gear and music I figure everyone here using the terms "need" really just mean "want really really badly" it is taken for granted.

For some space is the key factor, so they have a Shuffle. Smallest thing going with enough space for a handful of albums. I have one when I just want something small.

Some want something smallish but more capacity and some bells and whistles. Apple's answer for these folks? It's called the Nano. I have one of those too.

Still others don't want to try and predict the future. Technology exists where people can have massive storage on their person and the ability to store any type of file is a snap. Incredibly convenient for many professionals and consumers alike. Microdrives are up to 320 GB capacity. Each year the iPod in its classic form has increased in capacity. This is the first year it didn't increase. Heck it didn't even just stay the same, no it actually decreased! This is an indication by Apple that the Classic and its hdd is on its way out making room for flash memory. This frustrates me as a consumer because it means my wants and desires aren't being met by any one company and likely won't be for a while. More capacity doesn't just mean crazy amounts of music (or ideally all of my music) at my finger tips. It could also mean an entire library of books, journal articles, photographs, or video clips/tv eps/movies. To some, more is more because well, by definition it sure offers more!

So let's define needs here. You don't need any electronic device. You can't claim you do. No one needs any electronic device. No one. Not even those on dialysis or pace makers. We can be extreme to the nth if we wanted to. Because really, it is all silliness if we try to escape death right? Of course it is. Now then, silliness aside...music enthusiasts want devices to play back music. So you and I both "need" such a device. I "need" something with more capacity than 32GB to make me happy in this hobby. 160 is plenty fine but I was hoping for more since it has been a year since there was an upgrade. The upgrade was a downgrade which makes me unhappy. I question now the logic of going forward and buying the Wadia iTransport and figure now I ought to configure something else for work/school like a desktop dac and a portable HD. Not the greatest idea but one that I will have to make due with if I consider overall capacity more worthwhile than transportable, small form factor devices like the iPod.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #158 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technology exists where people can have massive storage on their person and the ability to store any type of file is a snap. Incredibly convenient for many professionals and consumers alike. Microdrives are up to 320 GB capacity. Each year the iPod in its classic form has increased in capacity. This is the first year it didn't increase. Heck it didn't even just stay the same, no it actually decreased! This is an indication by Apple that the Classic and its hdd is on its way out making room for flash memory. This frustrates me as a consumer because it means my wants and desires aren't being met by any one company and likely won't be for a while. More capacity doesn't just mean crazy amounts of music (or ideally all of my music) at my finger tips. It could also mean an entire library of books, journal articles, photographs, or video clips/tv eps/movies. To some, more is more because well, by definition it sure offers more!

Well said, my feelings exactly. I got the Wadia and anticipated 160 GB+. Same capacity or more and possibly some added features. Guess I got some decisions to make. Where can one still get a 160 GB classic? Is there anything else new about the 120GB. Is it just that it's thinner?

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #159 of 206
Quote:

i hear from others around net that it is not recessed jack but just curved. however, we will all find out properly soon enough.

i would like an 8gb if it is not recessed: everything sounds wonderful. will put up my 16gb touch if so.

the argument about the man with 10 000 lp makes little sense to compare with a portable unit where you can fan to any album within 30 seconds. he cannot take those lp on the rode with him and if he did, he would never have access to more than a few at a time; we all have music libraries at home that are probably saved on external or massive internal boxes that we baby and pamper. im sure, quite sure the people yelling on both sides of the fence need to lighten up.

for some: less is more and for others, more is more. but to say that you need it is silly. need really needs to be redefined if so.

As Zanth said, your argument can be made about everything here. I don't see you saying that people need to redefine their priorities because they spend $200 on headphones.

I like having as much of my library at my finger tips as possible. I usually shuffle by album and I love the constant surprises of an album I haven't listened to recently or great juxtapositions of genres. And I never know what I'm in the mood to hear. I have over 2000 CDs, all ripped. The reason I ripped them is so that I could here them at any time the mood strikes. If I didn't have that desire, I'd just carry a few CDs around with me and a portable player. That would be have been a lot more convenient than ripping 2000 CDs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said, my feelings exactly. I got the Wadia and anticipated 160 GB+. Same capacity or more and possibly some added features. Guess I got some decisions to make. Where can one still get a 160 GB classic? Is there anything else new about the 120GB. Is it just that it's thinner?

Apple.com has them in the clearance section. The also are selling refurbished ones for $30 more than the new model.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #161 of 206
question. How does the speakers work for the new iPod Touch? Like.. When you unplug your earphones from it, does it automatically switch to speaker mode? If it does, can we disable it so we can use an external portable amp like many of us do? Or does it automatically disables when we plug in an LOD? Anyone know?

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #162 of 206
I've decided to get a black anodized 16GB nano. Decided the touch wasn't necessary.

Just ordered through Apple with the nice laser engraving.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #163 of 206
i think that my decision to say need and question the 'need' for 64 or more is justified. firstly: has there been a 64gb flash based portable released from any mainstream company? and if not mainstream, what are apple now? secondly, i can vouch for those of us who don't have losssless libraries: if we need more than 32 gb, it is usually from illegal downloads.

libraries that are not stored in lossless can easily take 64 or more gb: mine would for sure. but even with 100 cd's, at most, aac 256 or even 320 would be less than 16GB (320). I am sure that many have 100 cds or more but 200 again would fit in under 30 and especially if people are using low quality such as 256 (grin) then plenty more than that.

finally: if you have that much, how much are you actually using? my mate tells me all the time the same argument i am waiting to hear again but it is troublesome to not have all his music with him (90% which he has obtained through illegal means) so that on the chance that he may listen to that one song that he has heard once and downloaded as he heard it on some advert, he may.

however, having say 64 gb or even 120 would never be enough and I will tell you why: left over space only means you will have more space to fill with more music illegal or legal. no matter how big the storage is, it will never be enough and always, there will be whining about why oh why have apple or creative or cowon not released something much larger?

it is not about practicalities or necessities, it is about the fact that no matter the size, our hd and bit torrent stashes are bottomless. i have all of armin van burren a state of trance for instance, a collection well over 40 gb and though i love it, i listen to about 30% of it at most over a period of about 6 months. i could keep downloading that forever and no hd and no portable player would hold it and i would have to complain forever about the newly released sizes as that company has not had the foresight to supply all of my pirating needs or my vast amounts of wealth that it would take to quench my library.

i know that my mates were saying in 2003 when the 20gb ipod came out: now i can have all my music collection on it! but now, those same mates who have not bought a single cd are complaining about the 160gb machines.

it is not the fault of any hardware manufacturer that these daps do not hold enough: i think we have to rethink a few things here. no one can keep up with a user's pirating.

naturally this does not apply to those of you who only put lossless on your portables.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #164 of 206
Quote:

i think that my decision to say need and question the 'need' for 64 or more is justified. .........

.........naturally this does not apply to those of you who only put lossless on your portables.

There are moments where you want to listen to just a single. There are moments where you just want to listen to the whole album. You cannot change that fact. And you've forgotten about the fact that you can store videos in these iPods. Which of course, definitely means 32GB will not be enough at all. You don't need to stuff your whole music library in your media player. Personally 64GB would be sufficient for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back