New iPods is coming
Sep 10, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #166 of 206
Manufacturers haven't released 64 GB flash drives yet because it used to be quite price prohibitive. By the time the units had been designed, they were and sent off for production, the memory was price feasible but at that point it was too late. The next version will have 64 GB, then 128 then more and more and more. No doubt about it, the future is as slim as a nano, as big as a touch and as much storage capacity as currently available.

Regarding large libraries. True many have illegal downloads, many don't (depends on the country and what illegal means there) and many have tons purchased and/or ripped. I have 5000 albums in a physical format (rbcd, hdcd, sacd, lp) and a good majority of that is ripped already. Eventually it will all be ripped and I would like it all with me. 160 is simply not enough.

As for the more storage the more we will put on it...of course! If I could, I would want every single piece of music ever recorded on a single device in a lossless format. Sure I would never hear it all, but if I wanted something I would have it. I'm not sure why that is so hard to accept. I want what I want when I want it. I realize I can't have that now, and yes people will always want more storage but certainly when 250 or 320 GB drives on on the horizon DOWNGRADING the capacity size sucks for those of us who held out on the 160 with hopes for the 240-250 models.

I have been collecting music since I was 15. I am 32. The older I get the more disposable income I will have (I hope!) and the more music I will buy. when I die, I'm certain, if all goes well, my library will be at least double what I have now if not more. I listen to music 16 hours a day. My wife and kids listen to music perhaps 4 hours a day. They listen to different music than I do, so my collection is being used and used often. It could be more readily accessed if I had more on me at any given time
smily_headphones1.gif

If I'm at work and I'm in the mood for some ambient, on my 8 GB Nano, I have 5 ambient albums. Unless I switch up nightly, I must listen to those same albums day after day until I swap. If I had my collection with me, I would have a few hundred ambient albums to chose from. Each day would be a wonderful surprise of excellent environmental tones to work by.

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #169 of 206
yeah shig i see your point and while that may be true for some people, it is certainly not true for everyone. yes while apple downgrading the maximum size will hardly if at all affect their sales, it does not mean that it will not affect anyone.

my father has been collecting music since he was a teenager and i've since picked up where he left off further expanding our library. we have over 500gb in lossless files. i realize you mentioned that storing lossless files would be a legitimate reason to warrant more storage, but note that this library is large enough that even storing in a less than optimal format would leave a library of massive size. also i should point out that we have hard copies of all of this but have it stored digitally for easy access for both me (upstairs) and him (downstairs) in addition to not having to deal with the actual cds.

while this library obviously has no chance of fitting on any ipod at this point in time, an extra 40gb makes a huge difference. that's another 33.33% onto the 120gb.

another reason why you'd want to carry that much music with you is so that when talking to someone about music and you mention a song that they've never heard before. well then they can listen to it. i find myself in that position a lot.

and you're right that no matter how much storing they make it will never be enough, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't increase the size let alone shrink the size. that's almost an argument that they should continue increasing the size. by increasing it becomes enough storage for a period of time until the demand rises to the same amount that is supplied. if you pull back the amount supplied you have a backlash because people are used to using a larger amount. think of it like this, if all of a sudden hd manufacturers said, hey why do people need 1tb of storage on their computers? then began to ONLY make hard drives 40gb or less, people would have a problem with that. this is an extreme example but it shows the concept clearly.

don't really want to beat a dead horse but i figured i should voice my opinions.

also i'll be ordering a refurbished 160 at some point in the near future. 120 is unacceptable

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #170 of 206
Any videos of the new nano on youtube yet?

if u find one ..pls pass the link.

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #171 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Manufacturers haven't released 64 GB flash drives yet because it used to be quite price prohibitive. By the time the units had been designed, they were and sent off for production, the memory was price feasible but at that point it was too late. The next version will have 64 GB, then 128 then more and more and more. No doubt about it, the future is as slim as a nano, as big as a touch and as much storage capacity as currently available.

Regarding large libraries. True many have illegal downloads, many don't (depends on the country and what illegal means there) and many have tons purchased and/or ripped. I have 5000 albums in a physical format (rbcd, hdcd, sacd, lp) and a good majority of that is ripped already. Eventually it will all be ripped and I would like it all with me. 160 is simply not enough.

As for the more storage the more we will put on it...of course! If I could, I would want every single piece of music ever recorded on a single device in a lossless format. Sure I would never hear it all, but if I wanted something I would have it. I'm not sure why that is so hard to accept. I want what I want when I want it. I realize I can't have that now, and yes people will always want more storage but certainly when 250 or 320 GB drives on on the horizon DOWNGRADING the capacity size sucks for those of us who held out on the 160 with hopes for the 240-250 models.

I have been collecting music since I was 15. I am 32. The older I get the more disposable income I will have (I hope!) and the more music I will buy. when I die, I'm certain, if all goes well, my library will be at least double what I have now if not more. I listen to music 16 hours a day. My wife and kids listen to music perhaps 4 hours a day. They listen to different music than I do, so my collection is being used and used often. It could be more readily accessed if I had more on me at any given time
smily_headphones1.gif

If I'm at work and I'm in the mood for some ambient, on my 8 GB Nano, I have 5 ambient albums. Unless I switch up nightly, I must listen to those same albums day after day until I swap. If I had my collection with me, I would have a few hundred ambient albums to chose from. Each day would be a wonderful surprise of excellent environmental tones to work by.

woah nice, thats a big collection you got there. too bad my old collection are too badly scratched to reuse them.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #172 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am happy that finally i am called shiggy

Hey dude, can I call ya' shiggy too?
popcorn.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #178 of 206
Why would anyone not only put lossless on their portable players? The only two restrictions are 1) storage and 2) not owning the physical media. Otherwise the only excuses are laziness, itunes/subscription purchases, or legitimately not recognizing the difference between lossy and lossless files on your portable rig.

Shiggy, have you downloaded that many songs from itunes?

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #180 of 206
I don't get the reduction in drive space on the Classic. Just doesn't make any sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back