New ipod to have a touch screen...
Feb 12, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 24
well not this "new"^^
there's already a thread, look here
orphsmile.gif

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162568

Feb 12, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 24
iPods keep improving on its features. For example, color screen, video playback, etc. Why won't Apple just not make them scratch so easily? How about that feature?
icon10.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 24
Imagine a click wheel on a touch screen. The ipod's size could literally be split in half!

Feb 13, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
It amazes me how Apple thinks we have to have a Touchscreen when all I want is a nice player with a direct line out or optical out without having to have adapters or docks
rolleyes.gif

If you think scratches are a problem now, imagine the amount of returns from all those YW with french manicures
evil_smiley.gif

I heard a rumor talking about a Hi-Fi iPod, but who knows if there's any truth behind it.

As for the scratches, they happen even if you don't touch the screen. I know a guy who only had his Nano in his pocket and still it got scratched!
rolleyes.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Imagine a click wheel on a touch screen. The ipod's size could literally be split in half!

I wouldn't be suprised if Apple did this. It seems like that Apple is only concerned with the size of their players...

Feb 13, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 24
This thing better have decent battery life. It just sounds like a drainer. And the screen better not stink like the psp's.

Feb 13, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #9 of 24
Sounds like a nightmare for reliability issues to me...I hope that they don't go that route.

Feb 13, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 24
Well, I hope they make the screen covers out of sapphire or something. Otherwise, they are going to get scratched to hell and back without a screen protector..

Feb 13, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Well, I hope they make the screen covers out of sapphire or something. Otherwise, they are going to get scratched to hell and back without a screen protector..

This makes me think, wouldn't a case or thick screen covering hinder use of the touch screen? That would go against apple's "you need to buy a case/screen protector or you screwed and we ain't including a decent one for free" policy.

Feb 13, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 24
i hope not.

first of all, at where i work, we have those touch faced screens, and they get blurry and beat up quickly.

second, only a 3.5 inch screen. plenty of others have the 4 inch screen already. i personally don't like the two-hand thing either. i like the current design, where it only takes one hand to operate.

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #13 of 24
i use a pda for watching movies and touch screen would be useful for watching videos as it allows easy navigation to certain points in a video. but it will make the screen oily and dirty from all the touching. so my guess is that apple will be going into videos big time.

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #14 of 24
I for one see some major potential in a full touchscreen front face on a music player. If the sensitivity were proper with a durable surface, then I'd be all over it. Reason being, that if such a way of designing a player were made popular, one could practically design one to do just about anything, i.e. different brands using the same touch screen face technology in different configuratiions to suit their needs. From there, a fully screened portable gaming device or cellphone could also be interesting, considering what the DS can do. If a touchscreen were freely able to change its tactile points and parameters, the possibilities would be practically endless. Combine that with WiFi and a hard drive for just about anything and I would salivate over the potential.

580smile.gif
Abe

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #15 of 24
I couldn't care less about x control setup. You can't complain, as it's perhaps inevitable rivals will copy or imitate Apple's latest "features". Saying that, why not just use a mini wheel on the right hand side? Yes, I know it'll alienate whatever /10 people left handers take up
tongue.gif

Now if it was gapless playback...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back