New iPod Family!
Sep 5, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #226 of 451
I want a 24" retina monitor.  But there's plenty of other companies that make nice monitors.  I can't wait till I can afford to replace my 10 year old cinema display.  I can still calibrate the middle to be really accurate, but the 2" on all sides fade to magenta...

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #228 of 451
The iPod sounds good enough for anyone who isn't an audiophile.

And the iPod still sounds pretty good, people exaggerate how it sounds for some reason. Maybe they just drink too much haterade.

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #229 of 451
having come from a $1700 ortho rig, i have always thought the ipods sounded great... no.. they dont sound like my $750 dac sounded, and so on,  but im quite content not spending a gazillion dollars for a portable player that doesnt offer the ease of an ipod, and allowing myself to enjoy my ipod.    besides.. maybe its wishful thinking, but if they ever manage to get the ipad camera kit or equivelent in size in price to work on an ipod.. well suddenly the ipod haters may be singing a different tune....

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #230 of 451

Quote:
I wonder if the iPhone 4 and Touch share the same screen, but perhaps the glass top is different. Also, power management on the Touch might be set differently to lengthen battery life. It makes sense for Apple to use the same display because of economies of scale, but I would not be surprised if other variables were tinkered with.

I sure hope the pixel density of the Retina Display finds its way into other Apple products. This is the best display I've ever used - the crispness is amazing. I'd love for them to put it onto the iPad and laptops.

I agree that AT&T is the limiting factor for iPhone adoption. AT&T is awful and I was about to buy an Android phone a few months back, but the iPhone 4 was too nice a piece of hardware to pass up. I'll immediately dump AT&T when I can and I don't mind paying off the contract. Also, if an Android phone comes out that has a screen this nice and works with Linux, I might switch. We'll see what happens over the next couple of years.

Hmm. I'm stuck on ATT for now (family plan) and I wanted a new phone. I was going to get the iPHone 4 BUT while in the ATT store I saw the Samsung Captivate and got that instead. Android 2.1 and a 4 inch Super AMOLED display. I love it. 

I haven't had any problems with ATT personally (I don't live in a huge city so I guess that's why I don't have the problems everyone else has) and the 3G is pretty fast on my end. 

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #231 of 451

Quote:
well suddenly the ipod haters may be singing a different tune....

Don't count on it. There's always "one more thing..." 
tongue.gif

What Apple should do is buy Sansa. Then nobody will be able to say they don't make good MP3 players. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #233 of 451

Quote:
Cant wait to see Samsungs reply to the new touch nano ;P

x2 my own comment on Apple is Crapple

It's funny how you say "Apple is Crapple" and yet you even acknowledge that they are the innovators when you say "Samsungs reply to the new touch nano".  Apple creates a completely new product, then a company like Samsung copies it and throws on a better screen, or a bigger HD, as their claim to fame.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #234 of 451

Quote:
It's funny how you say "Apple is Crapple" and yet you even acknowledge that they are the innovators when you say "Samsungs reply to the new touch nano".  Apple creates a completely new product, then a company like Samsung copies it and throws on a better screen, or a bigger HD, as their claim to fame.

Well I mean.... touch screens were bound to happen weren't they? Just because they created it first doesn't mean they "created" it... ya know? But then again, ideas and blueprints have been thrown around for years now but as we all know, whoever creates it first and does it RIGHT is the one that gets all the credit. 

But honestly on that point... it's all about the UI. ALL ABOUT THE UI. I can think of many players that have more functionality and sound better than iPods but are they known? nope. Take the T51/s:flo2 for example. AMAZING sound quality but the UI sucks and it drives people away. If they were to get a good UI on there it would be a major seller. 

iPods are easy to use and simple to operate. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #235 of 451

Quote:
The trouble is that single-use devices are taking a back seat to PMPs because that's what people want, that's what they're buying. Even things like the Cowon S9 and J3, S:Flo2, Sony's, Zunes e.t.c. that are popular here are PMPs, it's really only the niche products like the Hifimans, Amp3, and so on that are pure DAPs. Loads of people on Head-Fi would love a high-quality DAP that worked as well as an iPod, but we're hardly representative of the general consumer market who buy these things. As other have said, if Apple aren't doing it for you, buy something else. They don't exist to fulfil the whims of a few hundred people on an internet forum, and since portable multimedia and integrating that with 'full size' devices seems to be the goal of the big companies, it's really the smaller companies that are the best hope for something that ticks all your boxes. 

However, Sony and Zune are good as audio players, despite their bells and whistles. And apple fanboys are saying that crappy SQ could be excused by bells and whistles. While Sony and Zune adding that bells and whistles to the good realisation of the DAP, Apple replaces good realisation of the DAP (although it never was good) with bells and whistles. When i'm using Sony and Zune, i can just listen to music and don't care about video, apps etc.
PS: In case you're interesting - i'm using ES34069 not only as storage server but as HTPC and home server as well. You can use it with Intel DG45FC motherboard + Pentium E5200 (i believe that this is lowest power-consumption CPU in the Core 2 line), or, if you want to get virtualized - with Zotac H55-ITX + Core i3-530. However, if you're going with Zotac, be ready to replace stock case SATA cables with longer ones, as H55-ITX has really weird ports layout.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #236 of 451

Quote:
It seems to be a nice phone.  But it wouldn't be nearly as successful if the iphone was on other networks.  Not even because the iphone is better, but just because the iphone was the first smart phone that non-tech engineers could use, and enjoy using.  It set the standard that all other companies are trying to reach.

This is your position. And my position is that success of iphone is explained by apple aggressive marketing and the sole fact that iphone is manufactured by this fruit company, fap-fap-fap.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #238 of 451

Quote:
Well I mean.... touch screens were bound to happen weren't they? Just because they created it first doesn't mean they "created" it... ya know? But then again, ideas and blueprints have been thrown around for years now but as we all know, whoever creates it first and does it RIGHT is the one that gets all the credit.  
But honestly on that point... it's all about the UI. ALL ABOUT THE UI. I can think of many players that have more functionality and sound better than iPods but are they known? nope. Take the T51/s:flo2 for example. AMAZING sound quality but the UI sucks and it drives people away. If they were to get a good UI on there it would be a major seller. 

iPods are easy to use and simple to operate. 

Yeah I'm not saying they invented the touch screen or anything.  But it's not a coincidence that other companies will now, once again, be copying Apple.  I hate to say it, but their old slogan "think different" is kind of true. 

I'm not trying to say that apple is perfect.  I got so mad at my ipod the other day that I threw my ath-M50's at the ground and ruined them.  There's no way to check or change the volume before a song plays, and usually the click wheel responds in time to change it before the hard drive spins up, but this time it didn't and I got full volume.  I wanted to throw the ipod, but these blinking dollar signs wouldn't let me. 

I just think they deserve credit for a lot of great innovation and for making technology usable and fun for ordinary people.  They seem like the first tech company that didn't make devices for tech engineers, but for the rest of us.  for some people, that's a big deal, for tech engineers, it's not. 
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #239 of 451
Sep 6, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #240 of 451

Quote:
The iPod sounds good enough for anyone who isn't an audiophile.

And the iPod still sounds pretty good, people exaggerate how it sounds for some reason. Maybe they just drink too much haterade.

I'm not an audiophile, but there is a simple thing: when i'm listening to music on Sony, Zune etc (see? i'm not an audiophile, audiophile can only listen to hifiman), i'm listening to music and getting pleasure of it; but when i'm listening to music on Apple (i've used ipod video; afaik current versions are worse), i'm listening to some crappy sounds and not getting any pleasure of it.
If only ipod video sounded at least acceptable, i wouldn't replaced my 240GB one with small-capacity sonys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back