New iPhone will have multitasking this summer
Apr 9, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 40
"multitasking"

it doesn't keep the tasks open, it saves the state of the app and restores to that point when you reopen. with the exception of music apps like pandora, those will continue playing in the background while you muck around on the device.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"multitasking"

it doesn't keep the tasks open, it saves the state of the app and restores to that point when you reopen. with the exception of music apps like pandora, those will continue playing in the background while you muck around on the device.

That's not quite true. Stuff like skype willl keep running in the background as well, so you can receive calls, and stuff that is actively processing in the background (like a flickr upload) will keep on going. It's all you actually want from multi-tasking, especially on a screen that size. What would you be missing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frequen C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that's the only update that they're getting, it would be a waste of hardware. They should only make a new model if it's a significant upgrade.

I think it's just an OS revision.

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 40
Really looking forward to iPhone OS 4.0, and of course the 4th. generation iPhone.
Maybe this time I feel it is mature enough to actually buy one.
tongue.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 40
meh... Anyone with a jailbroken device has been having this feature since the iPhone 2nd generation and much more. The thing you're gonna get is also an unrestricted in-app ad system that will steal some of your already very limited screen real-estate.

Not only Steve Jobs won't let you do what you want with your device you paid a lot of $$ for (first purchase + monthly att fee he takes a big chunk of) but he's also become a greedy b***h who doesn't care if he spams you with advertisement in applications you , again, paid for as long as he's making money.

I'm ready for a change. Behind its false neo-hippie hype, Apple is way more evil than Windows.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by magicalpig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
meh... Anyone with a jailbroken device........

Meh is an interesting expression in the English langauge that I have never heard untill the reading the internet forums. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or hi jacking this thread. But I just can't resist my feeling on this vocabulary word becuase it is only used on the internet!

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 40
Really? I have been using the word 'meh' for years now, before I even went on the internet. It is a similar response to "I don't know" or "I don't care".

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I have been using the word 'meh' for years now, before I even went on the internet. It is a similar response to "I don't know" or "I don't care".

My friend says it about 20 times a day.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicalpig
meh... Anyone with a jailbroken device has been having this feature since the iPhone 2nd generation and much more.

Have you ever owned a jailbroken iphone with multitasking? It drains your battery life tremendously and hogs your cpu and memory like it's no one's business.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.... If that is the case then hopefully the new multitask iPhone will address that power draining issue, if not then meh.

It will be improved since all the apps other than location aware, music and voip apps will be put on "pause" therefore not consuming any cpu power when switched. All the apps that will be running in the background will be designed so that only the core necessary system is running. Saving battery life either way.

Watching their keynote video really gives you a good idea on how things will work.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

meh... Anyone with a jailbroken device has been having this feature since the iPhone 2nd generation and much more. The thing you're gonna get is also an unrestricted in-app ad system that will steal some of your already very limited screen real-estate.

Not only Steve Jobs won't let you do what you want with your device you paid a lot of $$ for (first purchase + monthly att fee he takes a big chunk of) but he's also become a greedy b***h who doesn't care if he spams you with advertisement in applications you , again, paid for as long as he's making money.

I'm ready for a change. Behind its false neo-hippie hype, Apple is way more evil than Windows.

Then I hope you enjoy your Droid, Nexus One or any of the other competing phones on the market. Obviously, there's no point in you buying one other than to satisfy your technological onanism.

For one, I look forward to 4.0 and the new iPhone model coming soon. The battery in my 3G is getting a little tired, though it hasn't let me down for almost two years.

I don't mind the "closed box" approach so much as long as the device is useful and stable. The iPhone is both. I keep a Linux box around for tinkering, anyway. But a bulletproof - if limited - OS works for me because it delivers the services I actually need.

The limited multitasking has more to do with memory allocation and the lack of a good swap partition. It'll be fixed in future generations and it doesn't really limit me right now. I rarely multitask in OS X or Fedora, and I grew up with machines that weren't capable of it at all. Somehow, I always manage to do everything I need to.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I hope you enjoy your Droid, Nexus One or any of the other competing phones on the market. Obviously, there's no point in you buying one other than to satisfy your technological onanism.

l
dt880smile.png
Don't get me wrong I love my iPhone but Steve Jobs is just making ridiculous moves and clearly doesn't care about the customers who made him.

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Every time someone comes to that realization, it really does make me happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back