New iPhone will have multitasking this summer
Apr 10, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not quite true. Stuff like skype willl keep running in the background as well, so you can receive calls, and stuff that is actively processing in the background (like a flickr upload) will keep on going. It's all you actually want from multi-tasking, especially on a screen that size. What would you be missing?

thats what i said, some apps will be running in the background but for the most part it just saves the state. id be missing true multitasking. this is app switching with a few select(selected by apple mind you) apps running in the background. i hate when i receive a link in a IM convo and want to view it in safari then i have wait for safari to open, then i wait for it to load, then i wait for safari to close, then i wait for the IM app to open again to resume the conversation. with true multitasking all i'd be waiting on is for the link to load. everything else would happen as soon as i told it to.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both Microsoft and Apple are in it for the profit.

That's true.

Quote:

Neither is more or less evil than the other.

That's debatable. Who's kicked more puppies, Jobs or Ballmer? Ballmer's disconcerting smirk says it's him, but Jobs seems more like a cat person and so has the motive.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #19 of 40
do you really need a phone that can multitask? It's a bloody phone. Have you forgotten how to use your brain?

i care much more about the design, the UI, the ease of use, then I do about features that make you feel state of the art, but aren't practically that useful. There's a reason apple is restricting multitasking anyways. Because it will hog up processing and slow down the device, and most users aren't savvy enough to know why it's slow and won't have a good experience with it.

Apple does annoy me sometimes, just like all companies do.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i care much more about the design, the UI, the ease of use, then I do about features that make you feel state of the art

you sound like apples perfect customer. i prefer my gadgets to do the things i want them to do over looking pretty. but to each their own.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #21 of 40
Totally understandable how Apple is restricting multitasking on 4.0. I'm jailbroken here, with Backgrounder installed, and once all the RAM is eaten up, it will start force closing apps without discretion. Granted, I'm on a 2G iPod with 128 MB RAM (newer iPhones and iPods have 256 MB), but it's a design decision that is understandable (freezing apps will allow for less memory and CPU usage than full blown multitasking, and only allowing for certain aspects to be able to run in the background, like audio capabilities). It should not be called multitasking though, more akin to task switching than anything. Will remain interested, looking to replace iPod and current phone when the next iPhone is released. It's either that or a nice Android phone, provided they're available in Canada.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #22 of 40
I'm not really talking about visual design, though that doesn't hurt. But the way the thing works. Apple does a great job making technology work intuitively, and I really appreciate that.

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #23 of 40
Switching between apps is pretty much instantaneous on the iPad. I doubt if anyone will be able to really tell a difference between true multitasking and partial multitasking. The advantage to the way apple plans to do it is less load on the processor, RAM and battery. The end result of that is increased performance. Isn't that ultimately what we all want?

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you sound like apples perfect customer. i prefer my gadgets to do the things i want them to do over looking pretty. but to each their own.

Apple really hit the ballpark with the introduction of iphone. At first, it was just a very intuitive, fancy phone with a touch screen but when 3rd party developers started pumping out innovating apps and the huge wave of jailbroken apps, it became something we've never seen before; an intuitive, multi-functional, do-it-all smartphone. Before the iphone, we only had either one or the other. If a phone was functional with tons of features (did it even exist?) it lacked on design and intuitiveness, or if a phone was user friendly and intuitive, it lacked on functionalities and features. The iphone gives you both, or, at least I find it so in my day to day life. I've played with my friend's Android and I would say they are starting to catch up on the matter but my impression was that they are not quite there yet.

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by magicalpig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Behind its false neo-hippie hype, Apple is way more evil than Windows.

You are comparing a company (Apple) against a product (Microsoft's Windows OS).
Not exactly a fair comparison...
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #26 of 40
Honestly, i would love windows OS if it didn't lag so badly. I love touch screen, and the iphone is one of the fastest, if not the fastest, touch screen phone out there. Of course the apps are it's main selling point, i just love being able to check movie showtimes, directions and the weather by the touch of a button or should i say screen. And to sum it up that's basically all i use the phone for besides texting, i'm just looking forward to seeing what the 4G will look like. Will i buy it when it first comes out? I doubt it, i got all i need with my cracked screen busted up 3g.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple really hit the ballpark with the introduction of iphone. At first, it was just a very intuitive, fancy phone with a touch screen but when 3rd party developers started pumping out innovating apps and the huge wave of jailbroken apps, it became something we've never seen before; an intuitive, multi-functional, do-it-all smartphone. Before the iphone, we only had either one or the other. If a phone was functional with tons of features (did it even exist?) it lacked on design and intuitiveness, or if a phone was user friendly and intuitive, it lacked on functionalities and features. The iphone gives you both, or, at least I find it so in my day to day life. I've played with my friend's Android and I would say they are starting to catch up on the matter but my impression was that they are not quite there yet.

i was commenting on the fact that he preferred style over latest tech. that's pretty much how apple builds everything. style before latest tech. then when they finally incorporate something that's been available in other devices for years they tout it as the greatest achievement to date. i never said the iphone wasn't a turning point in smart phones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, i would love windows OS if it didn't lag so badly. I love touch screen, and the iphone is one of the fastest, if not the fastest, touch screen phone out there. Of course the apps are it's main selling point, i just love being able to check movie showtimes, directions and the weather by the touch of a button or should i say screen. And to sum it up that's basically all i use the phone for besides texting, i'm just looking forward to seeing what the 4G will look like. Will i buy it when it first comes out? I doubt it, i got all i need with my cracked screen busted up 3g.

when you say windows lags are you speaking of the mobile OS or the desktop OS?

i think the new windows phone 7 series is going to be even better than apples phone OS. the early reports seem pretty promising but only time will tell.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was commenting on the fact that he preferred style over latest tech. that's pretty much how apple builds everything. style before latest tech. then when they finally incorporate something that's been available in other devices for years they tout it as the greatest achievement to date. i never said the iphone wasn't a turning point in smart phones.

And I already cleared that up, saying that I wasn't talking about style. This is exactly what other companies have learned with the introduction of the iphone- that design is not just about looks. A device can't just have features and a cool case. It has to be usable. That is Apple's success, and why people go bonkers over their products, because of the whole experience.

And I don't agree that apple lags behind technically, that is BS. I'm not going to bother giving you a list.

There are plenty of legitimate arguments about Apple's shortcomings, (ex/ I don't want anything to do with the apple store or owning songs or movies that I don't have control over). but your complaints are not realistic

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I already cleared that up, saying that I wasn't talking about style. This is exactly what other companies have learned with the introduction of the iphone- that design is not just about looks. A device can't just have features and a cool case. It has to be usable. That is Apple's success, and why people go bonkers over their products, because of the whole experience.

And I don't agree that apple lags behind technically, that is BS. I'm not going to bother giving you a list.

There are plenty of legitimate arguments about Apple's shortcomings, (ex/ I don't want anything to do with the apple store or owning songs or movies that I don't have control over). but your complaints are not realistic

i know you cleared that up, i wasnt talking to you. i was clearing up what i said with the other guy.

they do lag behind technically, they dont offer current gen processors in their machines. the macbook pro is still running a core 2 duo. hp's elitebook line already has the core i7's and i5's and they've had them for months. then you pay a much higher price for that hardware than if you went with a machine prebuilt by any other manufacturer. that old tech macbook pro(core 2 duo @2.53ghz, 4gb ram, 256mb shared video ram, 250GB SATA hd) cost more than the brand new elitebook 8540p(core i7 @ 2.66ghz, 4gb ram, 1gb dedicated video ram, 320gb SATAII hd). i'd like to see your list btw.

which complaint is unrealistic?

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #30 of 40
I don't really care, I don't think Apple is perfect I'm just trying to make the point that it is not as black and white as the apple-haters try to make it out to be. Apple does some things better than any other company. But they're not perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back