New Innards For HeadRoom Amps
Jun 19, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #181 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlawson66
Hi folks, I've been doing some research to see if it would make sense to upgrade my '04 Maxed Out Home with the new Max module. The quote below is from about page 3 of this thread.

Any movement on this?
confused.gif
I'm trying to talk myself into having the upgrade done.

Hello mlawson66,

This has already been addressed and the prices have been lowered and adjusted. The reason the Home is less expensive to upgrade is because it comes stock with the Home module. The Desktop amp comes stock with the Desktop Module. As you can see, if you consider the price of a Home Module in the Desktop Amp, the difference to upgrade to the Max Module would be the same as it is for a Home Amp to upgrade to the Max Module.

Thanks,
Jamey

Jun 19, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #182 of 202
Hi Jamey,

When I read this, it parsed out as: home+max=$500, desktop+max=$300.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luco
All right, well what about this one!

Why does the max module upgrade cost $300 starting from the home module in the desktop amp, but $500 starting with the same home module in the home amp? Where does the extra $200 go?

Of course, this seemed odd. I was just trying to justify spending another $500 to get the new Max module, as I think I sprang for the Reference module when I first bought my maxed out home, thinking that this would be the penultimate upgrade. I am very glad that HeadRoom is offering upgrades.

In fact, the temptation was too strong. I sent my MOH in for upgrade over the weekend. It just seems like it would be more fair if a certain upgrade would cost less if the original unit cost more.

Well, I can't wait to get it back and start rocking
600smile.gif
My wife has a MOH of her own, so we can get some empirical data on how much better the new Max module sounds...

Jun 20, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #183 of 202
Tyll Hertsens said:
Hi Graz, I've got a Home module in my Coda and it sounds sweet. Just call in and talk to a salesman for pricing info.
QUOTE]

One thing to note Tyll is that you have the old Home Module. The 2006 version is more heavily biased into class a and produces more heat.

Just to clarify, we do not do this as a normal practice. It is not only the battery life that would suffer drastically, it is the life of the module itself. Putting a Home Module into a Micro or Coda causes the internal temperature to rise substantially and more than likely reduces the quality of the electronics over time.

We do not offer the Home module as an upgrade for Coda or Micro owners.

Thanks,
Jamey

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #184 of 202
I've just been converted to an AKG-K701 nut. If go to a mad scientist lab and gene splice a K-1000
k1000smile.gif
and an HD-600
600smile.gif
, you get something like the K-701
very_evil_smiley.gif
. The detail in the mids and trebles is incredible. I'm using my very modified MG head for now, while the MOH is out for upgrading. Bass isn't its strong point. It sounds great on an HD-600 but I'm hoping that the Max will bring out more clean bass.

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #185 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlawson66
but I'm hoping that the Max will bring out more clean bass.

Happy Listening! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Jun 23, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #186 of 202
Quote:

I have an original Coda that I'd like to put the best possible module into, battery life be damned. I'd even consider gutting it out of the case it came in & DIY'ing something a little larger if that would buy me the ability to go with a more extreme module ... Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Peace,

Graz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
Hi Graz, I've got a Home module in my Coda and it sounds sweet. Just call in and talk to a salesman for pricing info.

Can a higher-end module than the Home be installed onto the Coda board, (even if the the result no longer fits in the original enclosure)?

EDIT: Nevermind...I'm seeing Jamey's quote now:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey
One thing to note Tyll is that you have the old Home Module. The 2006 version is more heavily biased into class a and produces more heat.

Just to clarify, we do not do this as a normal practice. It is not only the battery life that would suffer drastically, it is the life of the module itself. Putting a Home Module into a Micro or Coda causes the internal temperature to rise substantially and more than likely reduces the quality of the electronics over time.

We do not offer the Home module as an upgrade for Coda or Micro owners.

Thanks again,

Graz

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #187 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
Happy Listening! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Well, I can't believe it. My upgraded MOH is already back. This isn't a full review, just a first impression. So, for the first 5 minutes so I was a bit skeptical. The sound was obviously better than before, but what is this odd jerky quality?
confused.gif
Checked connections, checked ears for excess wax, checked to see if the cats were playing with the cable. Decided to let it run for a few minutes while I had dinner.

An hour passes. Wow, is this the same rig?
smily_headphones1.gif
Much more relaxed. Hey, there's stuff in some of my favorite songs that I've never heard before. There's this funky little sample on the lead in to Smashing Pumpkins 1979, and at about 2/3 through the song, there is thunder or something in that bottom octave
basshead.gif
. God, I think I felt that in my chest. That was never there before.

OK, just a word about the "sound stage". So, when you close your eyes, you can see a band playing, and there is a great sense of distance. It seems like the band is playing in a large hall, and you can hear exactly where everything is. The only odd thing about the illusion is that it still sounds like this is all happening between your ears. So, in this illusion, my ears are like 100 feet apart. But then again, my grin is about 100 feet wide. Good job guys! K-701 + new Max module is a match made in heaven.

Well, I have to crash for now. I'll continue this when I've got more time. It just keep sounding better as it breaks in.

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #188 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
Can a higher-end module than the Home be installed onto the Coda board, (even if the the result no longer fits in the original enclosure)?

EDIT: Nevermind...I'm seeing Jamey's quote now:

Thanks again,

Graz

Note my convertible - all modules use the same pinout. You could technically attach a set of Max Modules if you were to ruin the casing - running off batteries, they would almost certainly overheat and leak. The Desktop Portable battery config actually can run Max Modules and a Desktop DAC without destroying itself.

Tyll can have a Home Module in his Coda because it doesn't matter if it breaks. For a customer expecting a certain standard of longevity, such a module installation would be untenable. Didn't realise there were any new posts in this thread.

Aug 5, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #189 of 202
Is it me or is the gain set much lower in the new modules? I sold my old module Micro Amp and purchased the newer one, and I definitely have to crank it up much higher than I did with the previous one.

Aug 5, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #190 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel
Is it me or is the gain set much lower in the new modules? I sold my old module Micro Amp and purchased the newer one, and I definitely have to crank it up much higher than I did with the previous one.

Hm, do you notice this across all gain settings?

Aug 5, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #192 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel

I have similar feeling when I set gain on My 06' MicroAMP to low, if I recall correctly, I didn't see this on my 05' MicroAMP which I returned about one year ago.

Aug 11, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #193 of 202
The gain settings are unchanged. The feedback circuit is controlled by discrete resistors on the main board, which remain unchanged with a module upgrade. The output of the new diamond buffer may reactly slightly different to real world headphone loads, however not significantly so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back