New Innards For HeadRoom Amps
May 16, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #166 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luco
When you guys are determining the gain settings for amps with stepped attenuators, do you give different settings to the balanced amps to allow for the fact that balanced sources are on average much louder than unbalanced ones?

No. We do not use different gain settings. There is a very wide range of settings with the three gain options and the higher output of balanced sources is already considered since there is the option for a balanced DAC. Our balanced amps are designed to work well with both single ended and balanced headphones and I feel there is plenty of adjustment room. If you purchase one of our amplifiers and have issues with the useable range it would be relatively easy for us to remedy that. Personally, I don't really think it would be an issue.

May 16, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #167 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Btw, I'm impressed by your new sig.

Well, it is all about the music right? I know that people are into headphones for different reasons and applications but I personally fell in love with record production because of headphones and quickly realized that what I love most about my favorite recordings is the musicianship. It's an added bonus when great producers and engineers meet with great musicians and the 'magic' happens. That's what has punished my wallet anyway.

Glad you like it. Keep playing!!!

May 16, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #169 of 202
Quote:

Jamey, when you say that it would be easy to change the gain settings of one of your amps, does that mean the user can open the amp up and perform the changes by themselves or would the amp need to be shipped back to you for that to happen?

When I say it is relatively easy for us to remedy that, I mean that it's pretty easy for us to open the amplifier and change the relative gain settings up to a certain point. (there are always limitations) I wouldn't recommend opening our amplifiers unless they're designed to be opened, as is the case with the Micro line.

It is very easy for you to change the gain setting by the simple flick of a switch on the front panel. Again, I feel there is more than enough range. I believe you could achieve your prefered listening level within the physical limitations of the headphone itself without trouble. If not, I'd be happy to know about it.

May 16, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #170 of 202
Jamey,
I don't know if you have already answered this elsewhere, but what does Headroom do with all the old amp modules when customers upgrade? Do they get cannibalized for parts, tossed out, etc? I know a few make it over to The Sloth, but what happens to the rest? Just curious. Thanks.
-Steve

May 16, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #171 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjt78
Jamey,
I don't know if you have already answered this elsewhere, but what does Headroom do with all the old amp modules when customers upgrade? Do they get cannibalized for parts, tossed out, etc? I know a few make it over to The Sloth, but what happens to the rest? Just curious. Thanks.
-Steve

They go into a big pile and sometimes when a really old amplifier breaks we'll have a module that will work in it so we'll us it. I would say they're just collecting dust but, they're in a nice little box.

May 16, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #172 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey
They go into a big pile and sometimes when a really old amplifier breaks we'll have a module that will work in it so we'll us it. I would say they're just collecting dust but, they're in a nice little box.

Ooh, do you have a few ancient ones that would work in the convertible that you have duplicates of? Most curious...

May 16, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #173 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Ooh, do you have a few ancient ones that would work in the convertible that you have duplicates of? Most curious...

We don't have anything different than what you have.

May 16, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #174 of 202
Quote:

Jamey, when you say that it would be easy to change the gain settings of one of your amps, does that mean the user can open the amp up and perform the changes by themselves or would the amp need to be shipped back to you for that to happen?

To change the gain, the gain resistors (which is what the switch on the front panel selects) soldered onto the main board would have to be changed to ones of different value. Those Home and Max cases are made of 6 different pieces, and are rather complicated to take apart and put together. Also, as it would not be a standard gain setting for them, they would want to test the results in house of the new settings before sending it to you.

Here's an example from the Desktop board:
0000012000_1502.jpg

To the left of the black nobel pot, there are two pairs of brown resistors. These control the gain.

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #175 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
(Anybody asks for a little hole in the case through which a tweeker is inserted to dial the bias up and down and I'll poop in their headphones.)

Can I have a little hole in the case through which a tweeker is inserted to dial the bias up and down?

[comment deleted = Not everyone knows I'm joking]

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:47 AM Post #176 of 202
Did someone say threadcrapping? Apologies that my question isn't module or comic-related, but it is HeadRoom related, so: any word on the Micro Switch? Now to get back on topic, I'm off to the HeadRoom site to look at all the stuff I've just been reading about. Thanks!

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #177 of 202
I have an original Coda that I'd like to put the best possible module into, battery life be damned. I'd even consider gutting it out of the case it came in & DIY'ing something a little larger if that would buy me the ability to go with a more extreme module ... Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Peace,

Graz

Jun 16, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #178 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
I have an original Coda that I'd like to put the best possible module into, battery life be damned. I'd even consider gutting it out of the case it came in & DIY'ing something a little larger if that would buy me the ability to go with a more extreme module ... Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Peace,

Graz

Hi Graz, I've got a Home module in my Coda and it sounds sweet. Just call in and talk to a salesman for pricing info.

Jim_T, the Micro Switch is somewhat on hold right now. We have some working prototypes and have been having difficulty dealing with the non-standards-ness of cellphone microphones. So, work will continue---at a rather slow rate---don't expect anything 'til 2007-2008.

Jun 16, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #179 of 202
Hi folks, I've been doing some research to see if it would make sense to upgrade my '04 Maxed Out Home with the new Max module. The quote below is from about page 3 of this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luco
All right, well what about this one!

Why does the max module upgrade cost $300 starting from the home module in the desktop amp, but $500 starting with the same home module in the home amp? Where does the extra $200 go?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey
That's a good question and something I've been working on quite a bit recently. When we released our new amp line our cost figures were pretty rough and we had to make our best guess at a lot of un-determined processes. That doesn't really explain this particular circumstance which I'll have to attribute to oversight. The complete line change was pretty daunting and we looked over spreadsheets and cost estimates as long as we could. Then we had to take a step back and see if it all made sense. It seemed like it... until you asked. Thank You for that. I've been revisiting our pricing for the last couple of days with the hopes of getting it right and your question certainly helps.

Much appreciated,

Jamey

Any movement on this?
confused.gif
I'm trying to talk myself into having the upgrade done.

Jun 17, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #180 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
Jim_T, the Micro Switch is somewhat on hold right now. We have some working prototypes and have been having difficulty dealing with the non-standards-ness of cellphone microphones. So, work will continue---at a rather slow rate---don't expect anything 'til 2007-2008.

Thanks Tyll. I'll quit holding my breath now. Just for the record, I for one would be happy enough if it didn't handle cell phones, but I'm sure you've done your research and that's what the market is calling for. However, enough with my questions - I now return you to your regularly scheduled "innards" thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back