NEW information on JH-3a
Jul 20, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #1,471 of 2,176
I know there's a wide variance in volume output between digital and analog inputs (will hopefully be addressed), but anyone use the JHA combo with a vinyl rig and if so any impressions?

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #1,472 of 2,176

Quote:
      I don't understand theis concept of "custom tuned" due to the "shell" etc etc.  The shell is not used as an acoustic chamber, a tube that is glued on to the BAD is the chamber/conduit.

If one was to go through the trouble of "tunning" each CIEM to a 2 CC coupler (industry standard used to mimic an ear canal) it still would not make much of a difference because every one's ear canal is different, in volume and shape. There is no way this can be compensated for....  

The shell internal geometry is only part of the issue.  The role of the crossover circuitry in multi-driver custom or even universal IEMs is to properly filter the different frequency ranges of the woofer/mid/tweeter BA drivers to adjust the phase delay to faster propagating frequencies so all of them remain in phase and balanced when reaching the eardrum.  Obviously the spatial position of each driver cluster to one another AND to the eardrum is part of the equation.  The advantage of an active crossover is obviously the much higher speed and much more accurate calculations the DSP chip is capable of vs. it's conventional counterpart, hence the improved frequency extensions, improved sound field and less interference and distortion due to the fact that you have a dedicated opamp powering each driver cluster pair.

In this case because you are talking about a very low-level background noise, a detuned IEM may partially or even entirely surpass--or amplify--it, so the results most likely will not be the same as the original owner hears.  For my money, if it works fine, that is all that matters.

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #1,473 of 2,176
I am not sure how phase alignment is measured
but I am pretty sure time alignment is measure with a microphone
much like a 3 way speaker would be.You want all three signals
to arrive at your ears at the same time. that part is done with digital delay.

I thought I read that JH has some sort of custom dummy head set up to do
these measurements.

I would think tube lengths are part of the equation but not all of it.

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #1,474 of 2,176
It sounds like u are talking about a KEMAR  http://www.gras.dk/00012/00330/ 

Why he would need such a device is beyond me, when that is usually used for hearing aids to study the head shadow effect etc etc.

What is usually used is a 2cc coupler and I think u can see them use one on their old YouTube video.  The 2cc coupler is used in the hearing aid wold to mimic the average ear canal. FYI the average ear canal has a volume of 2cc. Any how, the truth of the matter is, ear canal volume varies per individual, and so does the shape of the ear canal and of course all of this will have an impact on the sound as it ultimately hits the ear drum. 

Regardless, if it is the case that the CIEMs are retuned to give a pre-concieved notion of ultimate sound with a 2 cc coupler, and this is done for both left and right CIEMs...  it is a more precise process that is the current industry standard for sure. 

All pure speculation though.....

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jul 20, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,476 of 2,176
well between a few emails back and forth with Jerry a day or two ago expressing my concerns, his positive responses,  and their public announcement shortly thereafter, I am actually feeling tenatively relieved of my concerns about this product making it into my hands in a "finished"  and satisfactory state. 

I'm hoping to stay out of this tread (meaning I hope not to get riled up by JH and start complaning again
wink_face.gif
) until my unit comes.

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #1,477 of 2,176

Quote:
well between a few emails back and forth with Jerry a day or two ago expressing my concerns, his positive responses,  and their public announcement shortly thereafter, I am actually feeling tenatively relieved of my concerns about this product making it into my hands in a "finished"  and satisfactory state. 

I'm hoping to stay out of this tread (meaning I hope not to get riled up by JH and start complaning again
wink_face.gif
) until my unit comes.

You will be more than happy. I listened to BT "These Humble Machines" and was blown away yet again. Now, I just ordered the new Macbook Air and I heard these things sound better than PCs with Decibel. Can't wait to try it out. It arrives next week!

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #1,478 of 2,176
I confirmed with Jerry that the battery is user replaceable... so... who wants to open their unit and take photos!?!?!?!

c'mon guys, i know one of you must have gotten curious and opened it by now anyway :wink:

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #1,479 of 2,176
Nice! Can you share some of the other things you learned from emailing with Jerry?

Quote:
I confirmed with Jerry that the battery is user replaceable... so... who wants to open their unit and take photos!?!?!?!

c'mon guys, i know one of you must have gotten curious and opened it by now anyway :wink:

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #1,480 of 2,176
Finally got an Audiophilleo 1 into my office system. The improvements it made to that modest system were so good, I had a hard time concentrating on work with music playing. Absolutely can't wait to try it with the 3a.

Quote:
I still think the audiophilleo 2 would be a good option, it has much less jitter (2.6 ps is claimed) than even the Halide, and will pull 44.1 16 audio asynchronously from an ipad if a powered USB bus is used in between them.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #1,482 of 2,176
I sent JH an email 2 days ago with a few questions before I went ahead and ordered a JH-3A and JH16's, and I still haven't received a reply, I'm not trying to add fuel to the 'customer service' fire, but I'm just wondering if anyone here has heard from them lately?

Update/Edit: Please disregard, was in my 'Spam' folder for some reason! Stupid work filters...

Jul 24, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #1,483 of 2,176
soon :wink:

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #1,485 of 2,176
Just got back from my 10-day trip to the western Pacific with my 160GB iPod Classic (lossless)+Solo+JH-3A/16s and have had some 24 hours of listening since my last post on July 14th.  Not much really to add to that, other than it's hard to put this thing down.  I did listen to more Latin jazz where the detail and separation as well as left/right imaging were really remarkable.  And the clarity, my goodness.  So, I think I can put my wallet away, finally.

No hiss or background noise.  The volume still at 8-9 and very sensitive to small changes in volume.  Nearly blew my ears out once!  I have the 13s too, but the bass on these 16s is ear-boggling.  I was listening to some choral music (Herbert Howells) from St.Paul's and those 64 foot pipes make your whole head vibrate, but you can also make out the real pitch.

A couple of things....first, I went through four airport screenings with the cables attached and was not asked once to show what was in my bag.   I followed Jude's advice on one of his videos to leave the cables attached to go through airport screening, but didn't need to say or do anything.  No questions from the cabin crew either.

I used the following to carry the rig: http://www.niteize.com/products/backbone-case-size-40.  It works really well, especially with the cables unplugged and in the inside pockets.   With the cables attached, you can close the zipper until you get to the cable.  But, I am not using right angled connectors at all.   With those it may well fit and close completely.  There is an outside pouch that is perfect for the IEMs.   Good protection all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back