NEW information on JH-3a
Sep 30, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #1,981 of 2,176

Quote:
Quote:

This has made my day: "...after the head-fi hype of people you really can't trust...."   Being summarily dismissed like this, having given my untrustworthy head-fi hype already, means I don't have to write anymore opinions on anything new - or old.  I mean, who wants this forum populated with impressions of head-fi hype of people you really can't trust since most of us are not professionals?

Maybe we should label members as professionals or non-professionals so we can skip their opinions and move onto posts of those professionals we can trust.  I might just spend less time on here.

Kiwirugby, I would not take the dissrespect of one member as a sign that you and others like you are not appreciated. I for one was a follower of head-fi long before I became a member. It was because of people like you, who took the time to give balanced, thoughtful and informed opinions, that led me to finally sign up. After reading for a year I felt comfortable enough to comment and ask questions. I will just say thank you.  

p.s this can apply to JP and Warp as well.  I have listened to some of the same equipment and read your reviews critically. It has helped me understand what I was listening to, which adds to my knowledge and my enjoyment.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,982 of 2,176

+1 - Warp's on-site reviews, as well as answering a few questions offline, have been an immense help for me as someone just getting into high-end audio. 
I'm sure the same can be said for others who make similar, unpaid contributions ... purely because they love this stuff and want to share. 
Quote:
Kiwirugby, I would not take the dissrespect of one member as a sign that you and others like you are not appreciated. I for one was a follower of head-fi long before I became a member. It was because of people like you, who took the time to give balanced, thoughtful and informed opinions, that led me to finally sign up. After reading for a year I felt comfortable enough to comment and ask questions. I will just say thank you.  

p.s this can apply to JP and Warp as well.  I have listened to some of the same equipment and read your reviews critically. It has helped me understand what I was listening to, which adds to my knowledge and my enjoyment. 

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #1,983 of 2,176
well I've stayed out of this thread for a bit for various reasons but for those looking to bail out. First I totally get it, we are 15-16 months from intial CanJam Chicago concept showing and 14 months or so from initial expected delivery with a roller coaster inbetween then and now.

The unit I have sounds great and delivers what I envisioned and more but that hardly helps those that do not have units today. Jerry seemed to be pushing hard for a mod-October solution around RMAF dates. I'm not sure where JH is at this point in meeting that.

All I can say is I've had and have a ton of great gear and the JH 3a is a go to device. I kinda swing to my 300B speaker set up for the Jazz I'm love (50-60s bop, hard bob post bop...) but rock and fusion the 3a really shines.  To me this speaks volumes as the 3a cost $1800 and new retail my speaker rig (including DAC) is over $20K.

GG I'm not conviced that an LCD-2 / (insert portable amp FOTM) is going to match this combo. I owned and still love the LCD 2 but my results with it were tied to the amp I used. Kinda like my listening experience with Maggies they are a great transducer but rise and fall with the amp they are tied to.

If your looking for a pro reviewer to guide you and discount mine or for that matter other voices on the site I think that's obviously your right. There probably is no harm in wating the cycle out and waiting for a "pro" reviewer to chime in. I am betting that a "pro" reviewer will tell you what you've heard from warp and I that this device is not evolutional but revolutional.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #1,985 of 2,176
hi all, first post but have been eying this thread for a little while. Been wanting to get the 3A but starting to have my doubts. Does anyone know if this new build happening in china will include an ac power option? Not having this option might be a deal breaker for me because i plan to mostly use the coax in. I'm also a little surprised that this hasn't been talked about more or heavily requested to JH. If i'm doing a long studio session, 5 hours just isn't enough. Battery/AC Power switching can be isolated without too much trouble right?

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #1,986 of 2,176
it has been discussed, and JH says that it draws more power than the power supply can supply.
in other words you can plug it in and use it, but all this will do is keep the battery going a little bit longer before it runs out and requires a recharge.
was it 8 hours to charge?

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #1,987 of 2,176
5 hours on battery? I think it was more. Plus you can have two or three hypermac mini, each might give it an extra 3-4 hours. I think it was 13.5 hours fully charged with the hypermac mini plugged in, at high volume via analog out.

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #1,988 of 2,176
In order to get the quality of bass, midrange and treble: 1. One is sacrificed for the sake of other(s). For example for the sake of bass, midrange is sacrificed.  But the JH-3A does all without sacrificing any.  2. In order to get the detail, the midrange or treble is emphasized or spiked but it is not the case of the JH-3A.  For example, to get the energy, attack and level of detail in the electric guitar, one has to like Grado headphones, emphasize the upper midrange/lower treble.  But the JH-3A manages to produce the electric guitar with all the energy, attack and edge without emphasizing the upper midrange/lower treble.  This is also quite a feat. 

There are also incredible amounts of imaging, details, and clarity.  But having said that, I think though, it is less likely to be appreciated or more easily overlooked (less obvious, more subtle) because the soundstage that JH16/JH-3A projects is not as wide as what other hi end full sized headphones provide.  That has been my initial experience.  

Oct 2, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #1,989 of 2,176
so is ac power planned or was there a technical problem with adding it in?

it sounds like when using spdif, the mini usb won't charge, so it's reduced to roughly 5 hours use at a time. Well, even if you're using analog and mini usb to charge, it's kinda silly that you'd have to buy another battery pack just to get a full day of use out of it. It's frustrating that we're talking about a pretty cutting edge product here, but something that we should probably be taking for granted, is not included. Ah well, enough complaining.

Oct 2, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #1,990 of 2,176
To beat the already dead horse of battery life. I've forgotten the battery draw but it's pretty large powering 3 stereo amps an ADC/DAC and DSP. They made a unit size vs battery life compromise.

So if the unit was say 33% larger but had 10 hours battery life would more people be concerned with size of the 3a than are concerned about time on a battery charge are today?

I don't know the answer on that one.

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #1,991 of 2,176
I placed my order in january and will be phoning in to cancel my order for a refund this week.
I have send them several email with no reply and seriously doubt this combo will be shipping anytime before 2012.
For those sticking it out just on the comments from Warp & JP. These two guys are hardcore JH Audio fan boys and will say anything to defend them just like how they start commenting out of the blue when people start talking about refunds.
Think to yourself and see if you should be listening to such people. These guys received the units before anyone else but neither of them ever reported anything about the noise floor or the faults with the amp even though they knew about it and only mentioned it after others brought it up otherwise you can bet that they would have said nothing to protect JH Audio.
So if you are sticking it out on just the comments of these two then dont and make up your own minds and not be sheep  following others.
I think most of you are in for a huge disapointment once you do finally get these amps. It is better to get out now and buy the units again once some professional reviews come out from those who do not worship JH Audio.

Oct 2, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #1,992 of 2,176
I think JP and Warp instead of posting the issues here, went directly to JH to let them know of the issues so that JHA could address them for everyone's sake.  At least that is my understanding.  Having said, I wish JHA would consistently reply to their emails.  It hope I'm wrong but it "seems" selective. 

Quote:
I placed my order in january and will be phoning in to cancel my order for a refund this week.
I have send them several email with no reply and seriously doubt this combo will be shipping anytime before 2012.
For those sticking it out just on the comments from Warp & JP. These two guys are hardcore JH Audio fan boys and will say anything to defend them just like how they start commenting out of the blue when people start talking about refunds.
Think to yourself and see if you should be listening to such people. These guys received the units before anyone else but neither of them ever reported anything about the noise floor or the faults with the amp even though they knew about it and only mentioned it after others brought it up otherwise you can bet that they would have said nothing to protect JH Audio.
So if you are sticking it out on just the comments of these two then dont and make up your own minds and not be sheep  following others.
I think most of you are in for a huge disapointment once you do finally get these amps. It is better to get out now and buy the units again once some professional reviews come out from those who do not worship JH Audio.

Oct 2, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #1,993 of 2,176

Quote:
 These two guys are hardcore JH Audio fan boys and will say anything to defend them just like how they start commenting out of the blue when people start talking about refunds. Think to yourself and see if you should be listening to such people. These guys received the units before anyone else but neither of them ever reported anything about the noise floor or the faults with the amp even though they knew about it and only mentioned it after others brought it up otherwise you can bet that they would have said nothing to protect JH Audio.

That sir, is completely unfounded. I will let them defend themselves, if they choose. I will try to give you the benefit of the doubt since you appear to be new but, most members on head-fi do not make these kind of adolescent statements. No one will take you seriously.  JP and Warp's reputation is impeccable and I would suggest doing your homework before making any critique. Otherwise, you just look foolish. My 2c'nt.

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #1,994 of 2,176

Quote:

Wow just wow, I'm not going to go back and forth on my credibility but I'd ask that you and others keep your comments civil.

Anyone coming to CanJam can take a listen to my 3a amp with some demo earpieces and judge my comments for themselves.

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #1,995 of 2,176
October 1st has started. Let's hope the factory has responded to JH Audio regarding the 1 week-long holiday, and is infact disresgarding it to get the amps out. Otherwise... More delays!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back