New info: Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2
May 9, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #361 of 475
Hi Rodz,
Thanks for sharing your experience. How is the sound when using the MP-301 MK2 to drive the 84db CM1? I guess it is a bit dark and lazy since the CM1 is power hungry. 

Thanks,
Garry

Quote:

i like the CM1's too, i had to try them with this amp,but i didn't really buy it to replace the Bryston that normally drives them, tho my results also hold when driving the small monitors on my desktop...which IS what this amp was bought for :) i fully understand your experience Garry,it is mine as well,for the most part my amp is very quiet...but not with every tube i've tried,and apparently not for many others here with any tube..i can offer no reasons why,but everybody can't have dodgy tubes,even tho it might look like they do[from my perspective as well!]there has to be some reason and i just wanted to give a specific example that was outside what you seemed to be thinking people were saying....if what i heard is what others are dealing with,it's really not mild residual noise..this amp is capable of some serious HUMMM :)

i came home tonight to find yet another package of goodies in my mailbox,while typing this i am listening to a set of nos GE 6SJ7's...and again...there is NO hum,even at this very close distance[about 2ft] ,these are shiny new and have literally about five minutes on them,they're as quiet as can be...these show some promise and i think are going to be keepers....thats four different sets for me that have no audible hum at all...and only one set that does

May 9, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #362 of 475
For those interested, I have posted my review:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553325/review-musical-paradise-mp-301-mk2-vacuum-tube-integrated-amp#post_7460704

May 9, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #363 of 475
THANK YOU SKYLAB!!!  I really enjoy reading your reviews - they have been extremely educational and helpful - so thank you for all your efforts there.

You seem fond of your MingDa - did you have any thoughts on that comparison with the MP301-2?
edit: just looked at your sig and notice you do not indicate you own the MingDa.

How about this then:  Does the new version of the MP301 change its ranking in you "30 Favorite Tube Amps" listing?

May 9, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #364 of 475
Yeah the Ming Da is a nice amp but I have moved more upmarket for my own amps, so it is gone.  I did add the MP301 mk 2 to my review summary, however.

May 9, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #365 of 475
Here are the temperatures I measured from the power transformer and power tubes. The test was done with a room temperature of 25C and the amp had been turned on for three hours with all stock tubes (6J8P + 6L6).

Power transformer:

The hottest spot of the 6L6 power tube

May 10, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #366 of 475
Having read a few threads on tubes and tube amps, I think I may have a bad power tube. I turned on the amp and let it warm up for a moment before a listening session and before I started the music, I put my headphones on. I heard a crackling/fuzzy noise, so I looked over the tubes, and one seems to have a blue glow flowing around the plates. I shut it off, and have yet to try a different power tube set to be sure. I need to find another pair for testing, but while I'm digging through boxes to find some, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim

May 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #367 of 475
Hi Wotts,
Please send me an email at info at musicalparadise.ca. I will help you.

Thanks,
Garry

May 11, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #369 of 475
 it's actually not too bad.the amp has more than enough volume to reach my normal levels in the small room i have...i wouldn't call the sound dark at all tho,it's rather bright actually with pretty good mids and highs,lots of detail but a bit messy and out of control and more than a little bit bass shy when driven by the MP 301MkII...but honestly i've found that the amp sounds that way on my near field desktop monitors too,it's as clean as can be with great dynamics.but still lacking bass and warmth...i've got the stock tubes back in it now and am letting it warm up to see if my changing tubes around introduced that...
Quote:
Hi Rodz,
Thanks for sharing your experience. How is the sound when using the MP-301 MK2 to drive the 84db CM1? I guess it is a bit dark and lazy since the CM1 is power hungry. 

Thanks,
Garry

May 11, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #370 of 475

Quote:

Also, tube amps cannot be powered on without connecting headphones or speakers. Users must connect their headphones and/or speakers to the tube amp all the time when the amp is on, otherwise, the output transformers will be heat up and damaged in a few hours. If you don't connect speakers to the MP-301 MK2, please make sure the switch is always on the headphone position, and the headphone is always connected when the amp is on. 

Thanks,
Garry

I wonder if this is common with output transformer coupled design. Is it safe to remove the power tubes and let the 6SJ7 to run-in by themselves?

Quote:
BEWARE OF THE POWER CORD!
If yours is like mine, rather thin and very soft/flexible, I advise to immediately replace it with a good quality one!
Mine shorted today...

The Volex 17604 should be a good replacement for not much money. If willing to spend more, for $99 the Shunyata Venom 3 may be all you need. I found a small but noticable improvement with changing to audio grade PC.

May 12, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #371 of 475
I've been eyeballing the Emotiva power cords myself. I just can't bring myself to spend the money for a Furutech or WireWorld.

Quote:
The Volex 17604 should be a good replacement for not much money. If willing to spend more, for $99 the Shunyata Venom 3 may be all you need. I found a small but noticable improvement with changing to audio grade PC.

Also, I've been wondering if anyone has been using T1s with this amp. Mine sound good, but I think a lower Z (300ohm-sih) set of cans might shine better...HD800s? Also, I've been looking at a pair of B&W CM5s to run off the amp. Anyone with an opinion on that? 

May 12, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #372 of 475
Hi Greeni,
Yes, any output transformer coupled tube amp must run with a proper load. The load can be either a high power resistor, headphone, or speakers.

The load impedance must match the output transfomer secondary impedance too, but don't need to be 100%. A few ohms difference is acceptable, eg. 4-8ohm.

Thanks,
Garry

Quote:

I wonder if this is common with output transformer coupled design. Is it safe to remove the power tubes and let the 6SJ7 to run-in by themselves?

May 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #373 of 475
Hi Wotts,
I would recommend B&W 685 and 684 for the MK2. CM seies have a more complex crossover which lowers the efficiency quite a lot.

Thanks,
Garry

Quote:
I've been eyeballing the Emotiva power cords myself. I just can't bring myself to spend the money for a Furutech or WireWorld.

Also, I've been wondering if anyone has been using T1s with this amp. Mine sound good, but I think a lower Z (300ohm-sih) set of cans might shine better...HD800s? Also, I've been looking at a pair of B&W CM5s to run off the amp. Anyone with an opinion on that? 

May 12, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #374 of 475
Power Cord info for anybody looking to replace the one that came with the MK2, I have been using these $30 Pangea AC-14 cords on a bunch of gear that I have and love them, yep they change the sound for the better and they won't drain your bank account. Here is a link to Audio Advisor who sells the 1 Meter one for $30ish, check it out:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGAC14&variation=1

May 12, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #375 of 475

Does this A/C cord have a positive effect on our hum sensitivity?

Quote:
Power Cord info for anybody looking to replace the one that came with the MK2, I have been using these $30 Pangea AC-14 cords on a bunch of gear that I have and love them, yep they change the sound for the better and they won't drain your bank account. Here is a link to Audio Advisor who sells the 1 Meter one for $30ish, check it out:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGAC14&variation=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back