New info: Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2
May 5, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #286 of 475
Ed,

Hello from western PA.

Gary had posted a picture of two resistors to remove to make this amp work with Grados.  The post has disappeared.  Email him and I think he will send you the picture and instructions.  Looked like simply desoldering two resistors from the PC board.

Scott

May 5, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #288 of 475
David,

I've not tried the LCD-2s with the Ming Da.  Have listened to them mainly via the HP out on a vintage Sansui receiver.

Scott

May 5, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #289 of 475
Thanks!  Perhaps I should have separated those questions a bit. One was just general impressions between the two as I imagine that this choice will be one that other members will be contemplating [I for one was seriously looking at the MingDa before I stumbled across the MP301].

And - sort of  as a tangent - and because i noticed that you have two "headphone" amps that also have speaker outs - if you were using the speaker outs on your LCD-2.  That said - some of those old Sansuis were really nice
smile.gif

May 5, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #290 of 475
It was me who posted the info you mentioned and its at the top of page 17.

Darren C
dgcrane

Quote:
Ed,

Hello from western PA.

Gary had posted a picture of two resistors to remove to make this amp work with Grados.  The post has disappeared.  Email him and I think he will send you the picture and instructions.  Looked like simply desoldering two resistors from the PC board.

Scott

May 5, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #291 of 475
I've never hooked the LCD-2s up to the speaker outs of anything.  Haven't fabricated a pig tail to do that yet.  

Sorry, have not done any A/B listening to the Ming Da vs. the MP 301 MKII either.

I'm not much help am I.  
blink.gif

Quote:
Thanks!  Perhaps I should have separated those questions a bit. One was just general impressions between the two as I imagine that this choice will be one that other members will be contemplating [I for one was seriously looking at the MingDa before I stumbled across the MP301].

And - sort of  as a tangent - and because i noticed that you have two "headphone" amps that also have speaker outs - if you were using the speaker outs on your LCD-2.  That said - some of those old Sansuis were really nice
smile.gif

May 5, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #293 of 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smile.gif

If you have a LCD-2 and set up with pigtails for speakers out, please give an inexpensive T-amp a try. You will be amazed.
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/550890/what-is-a-t-amp/15

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548694/t-amp-audeze-lcd-2-surprise/15

May 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #294 of 475
It is very simple by desoldering two resistors from the front PCB board. Takes about 5 minutes. Please email me if you need the picture and instruction. The instruction for the additional mini dip switch mod will be posted later.   

Quote:
Ed,

Hello from western PA.

Scott

May 5, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #295 of 475
Hi Everyone,
Do not try to use any tube amp's speaker output to drive headphone directly. This can casue permanent damage to the output transformers.

Also, tube amps cannot be powered on without connecting headphones or speakers. Users must connect their headphones and/or speakers to the tube amp all the time when the amp is on, otherwise, the output transformers will be heat up and damaged in a few hours. If you don't connect speakers to the MP-301 MK2, please make sure the switch is always on the headphone position, and the headphone is always connected when the amp is on. 

Thanks,
Garry

Quote:
If you have a LCD-2 and set up with pigtails for speakers out, please give an inexpensive T-amp a try. You will be amazed.
wink.gif

May 5, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #296 of 475

Quote:
wink.gif

My comment/method is only for a T-amp, which is a type of solid state digital amplifier. It is not intended for the MP-301MK2 or any tube amplifier.

May 5, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #297 of 475
As noted previously I'm new to the tube world - but I have seen a setup with LCD-2 and say a miniwatt amplifier.  I thought I have read elsewhere people hooking up similar headphones to speaker outs on low wattage amplifiers. 

So when can one hook up headphones directly and when can't one do that?

Garry - thank you for clarifying this question regarding your amp.

May 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #298 of 475
I got a bunch of stuff today UPS, one was a nice box from thetubestore.com which had 2 RCA 6SJ7's and 2 Mullard EL34's, they are playing now, all I can think to say is, "I spent maybe $65 on tubes and I'm almost positive I have world class sound right now!!!!!!"
 Day 2- Mullards, RCA's, hum is still present with total tube replacement but who cares because it sounds even better--I didn't think that to be possible. 

If your new to tubes like I am, I rely heavily on the guys at thetubestore.com myself-Jon in particular. They never try and sell you the "tube of the week" or do anything screwed up. (There are alot of places to find tubes) I found that as long as I know a little about the brand I want and present Jon in my case with the sizes (I emailed him the chart Garry has on the website) they'll take care of finding the correct size's-I wanted Mullards so I could say "I got Mullards" and the others were presented to me as three options, RCA, and 2 other brands I already forget, I picked the RCA after reading on here that someone else had and it didn't sound like crap....so now "I got Mullards".

Once Garry figures out the hum--has he while I was absent???- it'll be fun trying different tubes and molding the sound...this is the fun part!!!
o2smile.gif

May 5, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #299 of 475
Garry has cautioned against connecting headphones to the speaker outs of the MP301 Mk 2, and so that's the rule for that amp. However, I have run the HE-6 off the speaker taps of my Leben, also an output transformer coupled tube amp, with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I do not think it is a problem in every case.

May 5, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #300 of 475
Hi Skylab,
This is not a proper way for any speaker tube amps. You need to put at least a 6 or 8 ohm 10W resistor in parallel with the headphone input. Without the 8ohm power resistor, the extra engergy would heat up the output transformer and cause problem sooner or later.

Thanks,
Garry 

Quote:
Garry has cautioned against connecting headphones to the speaker outs of the MP301 Mk 2, and so that's the rule for that amp. However, I have run the HE-6 off the speaker taps of my Leben, also an output transformer coupled tube amp, with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I do not think it is a problem in every case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back