New info: Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2
Apr 28, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #211 of 475
Woohoo! The MP-301 MK2 has landed!

Fired it up with the stock tubes to see how well they perform. It is burning in with a pair of speakers. Sounds pretty good so far with the speakers.

Here is a gut shot. A bit tight in there. A good built with decent parts. Dale resistors, WIMA, BC and Rubycon caps, etc.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #215 of 475
Apr 29, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #216 of 475
I had a store credit at The Tube Store so they are sending me some Mullard EL34's, they don't have any of the other (6SJ ones) so I'll wait on them, I'm doing this backward...LOL....the great news is mine is out of customs and 1 state away just over the Canadien border....we'll see how long that takes.....pumped up in a big way!!!!

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #217 of 475

Quote:
I wasn't sure if those had the same tubes, but then I found this one as well http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-AC-EL34-Tube-Amplifier-Headphone-Amplifier-/320684340427?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_2113wt_1139 , who cloned who :xf_eek:

They indeed use the same tubes and look similar. However, that does not necessary mean they are clones. The guts could be quite different. The MP-301MK2 chassis is taller, and the bottom just barely clears the internal transforms. The circuit board inside is definitely a custom board with the Musical Paradise name etched on the PCB. Can't say which is better without listening to both.

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #218 of 475
After burning in the MP-301MK2 for 15 hours and listening to it for 4.
It sounds very good with stock tube and the LCD-2. It has minimal hum with no input and becomes inaudible with music, even on very quiet passages. The LCD-2 is a good pairing with this amp. The stock tubes sound detailed and well balanced with the LCD-2.
o2smile.gif
  I an not in a rush to swap them out with my other sets of tubes. The gain may be a bit high, listen level is achieved at 9 o'clock of the volume control with the LCD-2.

Hum with the stock tube is an issue with my more sensitive Grado SR80. Not a good listening experience with the hum in the way.

Otherwise, we have a sonic winner and a great value with the right headphones. Could it be the tube version of the Matrix M-Stage? I find the MP-301MK2 just as fast and detail as my modded M-Stage, plus it is a bit more 'musical'.

Sounds great with speakers also. Hum with speakers is almost non existent, you have to plant you ear next to the speakers to hear any.

May 2, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #219 of 475
Anybody know if these might be able to drive the AKG-K701s? I mean, very few amps can, so do these fit the bill?

May 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #220 of 475

Quote:
After burning in the MP-301MK2 for 15 hours and listening to it for 4.
It sounds very good with stock tube and the LCD-2. It has minimal hum with no input and becomes inaudible with music, even on very quiet passages. The LCD-2 is a good pairing with this amp. The stock tubes sound detailed and well balanced with the LCD-2.
o2smile.gif
  I an not in a rush to swap them out with my other sets of tubes. The gain may be a bit high, listen level is achieved at 9 o'clock of the volume control with the LCD-2.

Hum with the stock tube is an issue with my more sensitive Grado SR80. Not a good listening experience with the hum in the way.

Otherwise, we have a sonic winner and a great value with the right headphones. Could it be the tube version of the Matrix M-Stage? I find the MP-301MK2 just as fast and detail as my modded M-Stage, plus it is a bit more 'musical'.

Sounds great with speakers also. Hum with speakers is almost non existent, you have to plant you ear next to the speakers to hear any.

ETAHL--Whats a LCD-2???

May 2, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #221 of 475
May 2, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #222 of 475
And one of the most discussed headphones in head-fi history:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos

May 2, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #223 of 475
Oh...that LCD...LOL...sorry guys, brain dead today...Oncologist Appt. today and they always make me nervous and dumb momentarily.....oops...LOL

May 2, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #224 of 475
Today I join the owners club of the MP-301 mkII

Maybe I am easy to please, but from the first turn on of the unit, I am pretty darn happy with how it sounds. I have a set of Sylvania 6sJ7s and Golden Lion 6L6's and I can agree with the humming with no volume, but assume it will fade after some burn in time.

Darren C
dgcrane

May 2, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #225 of 475
Congrats Darren!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back