New info: Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2
Apr 24, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #196 of 475
Looks like mine is on its way from Canada to Seattle!
Anxious and a little nervous since the jury might still be out on this little amp.
It appears that I'll need to be ordering some tubes soon.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #197 of 475
6SJ7GT received and running. Very pleasant sound.
smile.gif
 A little hum and microphonics, but quite tolerable and I'm hopeful will diminish with time.

These are National Union, which I was told were made by Sylvania. Can anyone comment on that assertion?

Thanks

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #198 of 475

Quote:
smile.gif
 A little hum and microphonics, but quite tolerable and I'm hopeful will diminish with time.

These are National Union, which I was told were made by Sylvania. Can anyone comment on that assertion?

Thanks

Need pics for that :)

I have ordered a pair of 6SK7GT's, which Garry from Musical Paradise suggested might have less hum than the 6SJ7GT.  I still have just a bit more hum with headphones even with the Sylvania's than I really find acceptable, although otherwise the sound is excellent.

The MP301mkII is really designed as a speaker amp, though, so I will be testing it that way as well.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #199 of 475

Quote:

I have ordered a pair of 6SK7GT's, which Garry from Musical Paradise suggested might have less hum than the 6SJ7GT.  I still have just a bit more hum with headphones even with the Sylvania's than I really find acceptable, although otherwise the sound is excellent.

The MP301mkII is really designed as a speaker amp, though, so I will be testing it that way as well.

Thanks Skylab. I'll post pics tonight.

I know we're 'early adopters' with this new model, but I wish MP had posted more information about suggested tube rolling. I feel like I'm a guinea pig...

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #200 of 475
Skylab-

What brand 6SK7GT did you order and from where - if I might ask?

Also, did the addition of the 6L6WGB help the hum [you postulated that the old EL34 were causing some of this]?

Have you tried the 6P3S-E. Raul seems to be the only one not experiencing hum and he is using these I think - wondered if you - or anyone else - had a take on it

General caveat:
I'm a tubey noob so I'll ask for forgiveness in advance if any of my questions are stupid.

Thanks

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #201 of 475
I bought JAN-Sylvania 6SK7WGT.  Got them on EBay from a tube seller I have had good luck with (I have a tube tester, too, so buying tubes on eBay isn't really a problem for me).

The 6L6WGB did not really do much to reduce the hum.  That's why I have decided to try the 6SK7.  The hum currently is barely noticeable with 600 ohm Beyers (but the MP301mkII is not really a good choice for 600 ohm Beyers).  It's a little too audible with the LCD-2.  It's totally unacceptable with the Edition 8. 

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #202 of 475
I am interested in how this does with speakers, as well as the K1000/HE-6 earspeakers out of the speaker taps.

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #203 of 475
I was told by Garry from Musical Paradise NOT to connect the HE-6 to the speaker taps of the MP301 Mk2.  He said this could cause output transformer damage, since the transformers are not designed for such high impedances.  So I will not be trying that.

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #204 of 475
Mine is on its way today-Edmonton now coming to Allentown, PA.......I'm pumped.
darthsmile.gif
I talked to Garry today and told him I use this as my main rig amp (I have a small mancave) and he said it was designed that way and he told me it should do better than my first edition which did a fabulous job. I'm getting some Mullard EL34's???? Toob newb here also..so I'll be checking its progress a hundred times a day....LOL....I'm like a kid on Christmas with this stuff and this amp was a gift to me from a very kind gentleman in Utah.    ITS COMING BABY!!!!!

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #205 of 475

Originally Posted by Rockyhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smile.gif

Quote:

Here's a pic of the National Union 6SJ7GT [ aka Sylvania?]

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #206 of 475
I have a pair of those. Nice tubes. I have no reason to believe that National Union didn't make them. They could be Sylvania made, but National Union certainly made tubes.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #207 of 475

Quote:
I was told by Garry from Musical Paradise NOT to connect the HE-6 to the speaker taps of the MP301 Mk2.  He said this could cause output transformer damage, since the transformers are not designed for such high impedances.  So I will not be trying that.

Is this also applicable to the AKG K1000? I ask because I have thought of picking up this amp to drive them and an Stax Lambda Pro via an SRD7 energizer box.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #208 of 475
Well the K1000 does have over twice the impedance as the HE-6 so I would think so.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #209 of 475
Yeah I didn't ask him about the K1K but given the warning I got from him, I wouldn't buy it for use that way, no.

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #210 of 475
They should be out en mass is a few days. I am expecting mine in a couple of days.
Can't wait to fire it up and take a peek under the hood. A few sets of tubes waiting for action.
Anyone with photos of the guts to give me a head start? Maybe some mods to lower the noise, if it is a problem.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back