New info: Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2
Apr 19, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #184 of 475
Ironically the Mullard made but Amperex branded EL34's I am using were pulled from a Dynaco Stereo 70 that was on it's way to the scrap heap, and cost me nothing :wink: This is an advantage to owning a tube tester. I did pay $24 for these 6SJ7GT's, but that was a few years ago when they were cheaper. These tubes would cost about $150 total now.

I have not vanquished that last little bit of hum yet, though. I have a pair of NOS TungSol 6L6WGB's on the way ($60). Hoping that maybe it's my old EL34's. Still the sound is really quite good as it is...more later.

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #185 of 475
I was actually referring specifically to the tubes that Skylab is using, as he has chimed in about $150, so $400 ish, I was curious to how it sounds to other amps in that range if similarly priced after tube costs.  Sorry to hear your RCAs are still humming after 30+ hours, good luck Rob.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #186 of 475
I'm not sure where the hum is from.  I've only tried two pairs of Tung-Sol 6SJ7GT (no RCA).  I will try the Tung-Sol 6L6 to eliminate the old Mullard EL34's in the equation before moving to some Sylvania 6SJ7WGT.

The hum is quiet enough now with the LCD-2 that you cannot hear it with music playing.  Same with the Beyer T1.  With the Ultrasone Edition 8, however, it's very noticeable.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #187 of 475

Quote:
 Sorry to hear your RCAs are still humming after 30+ hours, good luck Rob.

I put the Tung-Sol 6SD7GT back in for a break from the hum. Should I try the RCA again for another 20 hours or so? I really like their sound, it's just the damn hum!

Or should I try some 6SJ7GT? Maybe I'll be patient and wait for these amps to land in others homes to see what they find. Yeah, right.

Also, Raul is using 6P3S-E. Is that a legit 6L6 replacement? I'm new to tubes and the varieties/equivilents are somewhat confusing.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #188 of 475
Oop I got ppls tubes crossed reading in a rush. I would be curious to see where this places in your ranking.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #189 of 475
Rockyhill, I would try some 6SJ7GT's, since that is the "default" tube for this amp.  That's why I am going to switch to 6L6's.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #190 of 475

Quote:
Rockyhill, I would try some 6SJ7GT's, since that is the "default" tube for this amp.  That's why I am going to switch to 6L6's.

Thank you sir. I may also try the 6L6.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #191 of 475

Quote:

Also, Raul is using 6P3S-E. Is that a legit 6L6 replacement? I'm new to tubes and the varieties/equivilents are somewhat confusing.

Yes the 6P3S-E is a direct replacement for the stock 6P3P, confirmed to me by Garry himself.

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #192 of 475

Quote:

Yes the 6P3S-E is a direct replacement for the stock 6P3P, confirmed to me by Garry himself.

Thanks Raul. You are happy with the well-conditioned 6SJ7 's and 6P3S-E? What do you use for speakers?

Those who have ordered this amp but yet to receive it are probably going crazy. I know I would be, if not for the minor snafu when my order was placed (aka overcharge for shipping) which led to my direct shipment from China.

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #193 of 475

Quote:
Thanks Raul. You are happy with the well-conditioned 6SJ7 's and 6P3S-E? What do you use for speakers?

Yes, I am very happy with this amp and these tubes, even though many says that a non-metal 6SJ7 sounds better. I will look for some in the near future. I am listening to it with my Dynaco A25 for now. My other speakers are Spendor BC1 and a nice pair of kit built reso speakers with Saba greencones coming from 50's german radios.
I haven't high quality headphones, only Superlux 668B and 681. Plus some "cheap" iem (Re0, X-ears Bullet, Visang R02, SoundMagic PL-30, Kanen km-92) 

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #194 of 475
6SJ7 GT on order. Hoping the hum is gone and the sweet sound I had with the RCA 6SD7GT (or better) returns.

Waiting on power tube rolling by others before I try that.

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #195 of 475

Quote:
Ironically the Mullard made but Amperex branded EL34's I am using were pulled from a Dynaco Stereo 70 that was on it's way to the scrap heap, and cost me nothing
wink.gif
This is an advantage to owning a tube tester. I did pay $24 for these 6SJ7GT's, but that was a few years ago when they were cheaper. These tubes would cost about $150 total now.

I have not vanquished that last little bit of hum yet, though. I have a pair of NOS TungSol 6L6WGB's on the way ($60). Hoping that maybe it's my old EL34's. Still the sound is really quite good as it is...more later.

Got a pair of very closely matched Tung-Sol 6SJ7. Swapping in these the hum was immediately reduced. Granted it still hum a little with Grado and efficient phones alike but not as terrible as the stock tubes.

Sonically the new tubes got the usually audiophile qualities correct, most notably a blacker blackground, tighter, more linear, but ironically the amp with the new tubes lost some of its sweet tone and leaner. As with all things there is trade off, and one which probably most willing to take.

May try rolling the power tubes someday. Actually is there a concensus that EL34s are generally considered to be better sounding than 6L6 ? There are some Mullard re-issue such as those from Groove tubes that are not too expensive. Are these good? I guess it may not be worthwhile to roll some expensive tubes and make this a 500-600ish amp. When you get to that price basket there are some really good contenders such as Mapletree EAR+HD. It lost the purpose of a budget amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back