New info: Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2
Apr 10, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #136 of 475
So like suggest some if you don't mind, I have a $35 credit at The Tube Store and the amp was sent via airmail-China Post and got turned around and sent back for some odd reason but Garry is shipping me a unit on the 15th so if I time it right, I could have tubes to roll immediately...the fun begins. So toss out a couple brands and the size so I can just copy and paste it to an email to Jon at the Tube Store...thanks guys.

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #137 of 475
The best are the mesh-shield Tung Sol 6SJ7GT. Next are the Sylvania VT-116A, followed by the Sylvania 6SJ7WGT. The Raytheon Bantal 6SJ7GT are also very, very good.

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #138 of 475
Thanks Skylab!!!!!!
o2smile.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #139 of 475
Is there like a tube guide/tube size guide somewhere online so I can learn about sizes..like the closest Tung Sol I see is a 6SL7GT not a 6SJ7GT....they won't work correct or will they?? Thats why I ask about some type of tube guide for dummies....

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #140 of 475
Not really. You should assume that you CANNOT substitute one tube type for another unless someone you trust really well has said you can. the 6SL7 is nothing at all like a 6SJ7, and cannot be used in the MP-301 MkII.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #141 of 475
Skylab- Thanks, I'll let the vendor of the tubes point me toward the best replacements, I sent them an email with the ones you suggested as my top picks, I appreciate your time helping me out.

So for folks that have had these for a few days how do they sound??

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #142 of 475
I compared the MP301 with the KICAS Caliente, the now reduced price of which makes the two comparably priced.

MP 301 : Like Raul I found the sound to be a tad thin, actually a little hollow, at the beginning but it will become fuller over time with use. A slight trace of sweetness with everything it plays, but timbre tend to get homogenized. Still I prefer this to a colorless and glassy tone. Pick up slightly more subtle dynamic shadings - what tubes are good at, which gives a more lively presentation. Slightly more spacing between instruments within the headstage. A wider, bolder dynamic swing. More powerful. Hums with efficient phones. Runs hot.

KICAS : Blacker background. Denser imaging with better delineation of edges of instrument, which some would prefer as more solid and realistic presentation. More coherent, details and dynamics are better integrated. Slightly less spacing between instruments within the headstage but what is there is more solid - the MP301 seem ever slightly more diffused in comparison. Overall not as sweet but more tonal colors and variations here. Dynamic swing not as wild but more calm and collected. Slient with efficient phones. Runs very mildly hot and environmentally friendly. More susceptible to quality footers under the chasis.

Those impressions are made with stock power cords and tubes. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #143 of 475
Thanks Greeni,
try to replace the 301 tubes with better ones, at least the mediocre chinese 6J8P with a good vintage 6SJ7 and give it another listening, just to see if you confirm my impression of a much better sounding amp (investing less than $20 for all 4 tubes!).

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #144 of 475
Tung-Sol 6SD7GT received today. Only been running a few hours but there is a significant improvement in upper end response. As Greeni points out, this amp runs hot. Seems a little warmer with these old timers.

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #146 of 475

I'm new to the tube world (well, I was born in the 50's so I grew up with tubes…) at least from an audio perspective. This amp runs hot. Now I know the tubes themselves will be hot as that is how they function. But the transformer can is also very hot, even if volume is at zero. Is this expected behavior for a tube amp? It seems a little warmer after I removed the stock 6J8P for the 6SD7. The filaments on the 6P3P appear slightly brighter. Maybe I'm imagining this or perhaps it's the weather (was near 70 yesterday, rather than 40's) ?!

I added 1/2" rubber feet under the existing feet to get better circulation.

Would appreciate feedback for this tube noob.

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #147 of 475

Quote:

I'm new to the tube world (well, I was born in the 50's so I grew up with tubes…) at least from an audio perspective. This amp runs hot. Now I know the tubes themselves will be hot as that is how they function. But the transformer can is also very hot, even if volume is at zero. Is this expected behavior for a tube amp? It seems a little warmer after I removed the stock 6J8P for the 6SD7. The filaments on the 6P3P appear slightly brighter. Maybe I'm imagining this or perhaps it's the weather (was near 70 yesterday, rather than 40's) ?!

I added 1/2" rubber feet under the existing feet to get better circulation.

Would appreciate feedback for this tube noob.

Mine doesn't run so hot, I am using it at 220V (as I'm in Italy)

Apr 12, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #148 of 475
Thanks for everyone's input - this thread should get interesting as these units start shipping.

For those who have rolled their tubes has it addressed some of the hum that several initially mentioned?

Also,  who is a good source for the Tung-Sol 6SD7GT  - I also am new at this tube rolling thing and can't seem to find them online [maybe I am not searching for it properly????]

Greeni/Raul - what headphones are you using? 

Thanks all.

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #149 of 475

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's input - this thread should get interesting as these units start shipping.

For those who have rolled their tubes has it addressed some of the hum that several initially mentioned?

Also,  who is a good source for the Tung-Sol 6SD7GT  - I also am new at this tube rolling thing and can't seem to find them online [maybe I am not searching for it properly????]

Greeni/Raul - what headphones are you using? 

Thanks all.

I haven't heard any hum in mine (I don't use the stock tubes) but I listened to it only with speakers (dynaco a25). I didn't try any headphone yet, I was listening to it while working at the restoration of a vintage tube amp. I will try it with headphones tomorrow, but I have only rather cheap headphones (Re0, SoundMagic PL30, Xears Bullet XB120Pro, Visang R02, Superlux 668B, Superlux 681).

Apr 13, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #150 of 475
Ran with the Tung-Sol 6SD7GT for a few days. Much improved highs but bass has dropped off from the stock 6JSP. Plugged in the RCA 6SD7GT. Hum is overwhelming. It's even noticable during playback, which is disappointing. However, the sound is incredible. Full bass and high frequencies galore. What can I expect for hum reduction after burning in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back