New info: Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2
Apr 5, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #124 of 475
thanks popa.  A little bigger than it looks. But it still looks nice.

I won't pester you for any more reconnaissance on the SQ.
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #125 of 475

Yes I have. And the pair sounded real smooth.I did like the sound they helped to add.I am not sure that is the right way to say it. They we're worth what I paid for them.They were same brand but not matched. I tried the 6SK7's cans for awhile but I did not leave in long enough to burn-in. Right now my tube sets are SED 6L6gc "winged c" and 6SK7GT. The GT we're a little harder to find.For some reason they sure sound better than the cans.Cans weren't bad I just preferred the GTs. Out of the pre tubes I think I like these the most. I do want to try some 6L6 black cans if I can find for the right price. I am not good at reviews but so far I am really enjoying this new creation from Garry.

Apr 5, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #127 of 475
SQ = sound quality. The problem is that no two Head-Fiers ever seem to agree on exactly what constitutes 'fantastic SQ' :)

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #129 of 475
popa- 

Greetings from a fellow Head-Fi newbie.

Sorry about that - I was just trying to be hip (don't feel stupid - I think I cogitated on that acronym for a while before I got it - hence my desire to use it
wink.gif
). 

As far as reviewing goes I appreciate the feedback you've given thus far - especially on a new product.  I am also new here but feel intimidated and impressed [and infinitely appreciative] of the reviews that some folks do here.

I agree with estreeter that sound quality is in the ear of the beholder.  But with that said I like reading what other people hear  - even though I might not hear it quite the same way. And some things we hear are not as subjective, like noise or clipping. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #130 of 475
I've got 2 Tung-Sol and 2 RCA 6SD7GT coming home to roll.  Stay tuned.

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #131 of 475
Got mine yesterday (in Italy). I listened to it for about an hour with the stock tubes and my Dynaco A25s (no time to listen to it with headphones yet). Nice sound, but a bit thin/dry. Then I replaced the stock tubes with what I had at hand: a pair of matched russian 6P3S-E and a pair of vintage RCA 6SJ7. Wow! What a change, the sound became much fuller and richer, sweeter, voices are very real, to me it's another amp. According to Garry the 6P3S-E aren't a worth upgrade because they are not better than the Guiguang/Shuguang 6P3P coming with the amp, but my ears don't agree with him.
In any case, with good tubes, it's really a damn good little amp that can become some kind of giant killer. For the price I think it's really hard to beat.

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #132 of 475
Much of the change might have been due to the RCA 6SJ7, though. The Chinese 6SJ7 tubes are pretty bad sounding IMO.

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #133 of 475
I posted earlier about having the first edition which I love and still use everyday, well I got awesome news this morning, a friend has purchased this latest edition and given it to me as a gift- I was all smiles ear to ear so whats the general consensus, do we have a giant killer here on the loose??
As with the first edition the stock tubes gotta go first thing before we really hear it, does that hold true here?? This has a different tube compliment  than the first so which tubes do I swap out first--on a budget here, I guess we all are for that matter, I'm new to tubes and the MP 301 was my first tube amp and I really don't know topology or the way these are designed very well, or tubes for that matter but I do know they sound good.
Swap out the 6SJ7's first??
or the others?

Are the 6SJ7's the pre-amp tubes??
Thanks in advance...Ed

Apr 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #134 of 475
Yes, the 6sj7s are the preamp tubes.  I'd roll them first.  Driver tubes usually have a larger impact on sound than power tubes (the EL34s).

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #135 of 475
Not just that, but good EL34's are very expensive, and good 6SJ7GT's are very cheap.  Get the GT (glass envelope) ones, though, they sound better than the metal-can ones IMO, with the possible exception of the RCA 5693.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back