New Inear Prophile-8
Dec 11, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #631 of 786
@noplsestar Yes I'll stick with it especially since I don't intend to get them new but secondhand anyway... I am not entirely sure I'll still get the PP8 now that I have sealed the deal on Mimouille KSE1500 :D

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #632 of 786
@noplsestar Yes I'll stick with it especially since I don't intend to get them new but secondhand anyway... I am not entirely sure I'll still get the PP8 now that I have sealed the deal on Mimouille KSE1500 :D
oh you lucky guy! Never heard that KSE1500. Please post comparisons with the PP8 if you can because they both aim for transparency. I guess the KSE does it a tick better but on the other hand you don’t need a second device with the PP8 when in the go.

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #633 of 786
oh you lucky guy! Never heard that KSE1500. Please post comparisons with the PP8 if you can because they both aim for transparency. I guess the KSE does it a tick better but on the other hand you don’t need a second device with the PP8 when in the go.

In fact I auditioned the KSE1500 for a good 30mn and the PP8 later that same day.

I have posted some impressions, but short version is that the KSE1500 is just in another league from anything else in terms of transparency. This is the first time I can say that it’s like there is no signature, it’s just pure music you don’t hear the gear or rather you forget it the minute you put it in your ears... something special really. I was surprised that it sounded much fuller than I expected neither thin nor bright and at the same time there is an ethereal quality probably due to the blazing fast transients. Bass is high quality but you won’t get the impact you get from a DD or even from a BA. The soundstage varies to the recording but can really be huge with great albums and the air around the instrument is so clear... this is from 1Z lineout to KSE amp so not using the onboard DAC still have to test that.

Also, it's clearly non fatiguing sound (aside from my bad experience with two classical album that had me wince at treble... maybe just transparency highlighted bad mastering... 90% of what I tried sounded superb).

I know some have reported the KSE to be boring but it probably depends what you're expecting, sure the Solaris are more exciting but there is a beauty to that transparency that is something to behold.

Compared to the KSE, the PP8 has more body and weight, it kicks more in the bass (no contest) and to me it's the musical reference IEM with just the right amount of everything. But it's nowhere near as transparent as the KSE, I guess the electrostats have a natural edge there.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #634 of 786
I read somewhere that since BA drivers use sound tube to channel the sound, the type of housing material shouldn’t affect the sound. However, my PP8 dealer here told me that he tried the wooden version of StageDiver 5 vs non-wooden version, and there is a noticeable difference in sound. According to him, the wooden version of SD5 sounds more open and engaging.

There is no difference in sound. Any encountered experience of difference is pure imagination (maybe the brain wants to hear a difference although there is none)

Did you try the regular or small ‘S’ version?

I tried the PP8s.

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #635 of 786
There is no difference in sound. Any encountered experience of difference is pure imagination (maybe the brain wants to hear a difference although there is not

That's why my judgment is reserved until I can compare them myself. Everybody has different hearings, perhaps to some there's no difference, but others can hear a difference.

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #637 of 786
You have to be accurate here. As a fact nobody can hear a difference because there is none.
There are just some people who wish to hear a difference and therefore their brain tells them that there is one.

I believe we have to agree to disagree. This is an old subject that has been discussed many times before. I've heard things differently with other people on the exact same set of equipment. In theory the sound should be the same, but again, each person's ears and brain have different interpretation of sounds. On that note I shall end this debate as this could go on and on.

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #638 of 786
yes, people might hear differently. But if the same people listen to a SD5 plastic and an SD5 wood shell they won´t hear a difference because technically there is none.
But being universals maybe the tips are not sitting exactly as before. So there are various items which could lead to different impressions for a person listening to both
versions. But technically there is none.

But agree, this would keep on and on....

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #639 of 786
yes, people might hear differently. But if the same people listen to a SD5 plastic and an SD5 wood shell they won´t hear a difference because technically there is none.
But being universals maybe the tips are not sitting exactly as before. So there are various items which could lead to different impressions for a person listening to both
versions. But technically there is none.

But agree, this would keep on and on....
I can't imagine there would be a difference in sound from different material. The BA sound travels through tubes. It shouldn't interact with the shell at all.

Something like Fostex full sized headphones do interact with wood cup acoustics, but shouldn't for these iems.

Same goes for gold, stainless steel, etc chasis DAPs. There shoulf be no effect from the housing.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #640 of 786
PP8 impressions with the Hansound Redcore: upper end extension is quite better than with stock. bass is more pronounced, though sub bass is a bit attenuated. very balanced. upper mid are also a bit attenuated, which is great because it was sometimes a bit sharp with the stock cable. that's how I want to listen to the PP8 from now on!

Jan 25, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #641 of 786
Has anyone tried the PP8 or 8s with iFi's IEMatch? Is it worth investigating?
I'm running the PP8s from Xduoo XD05 (Burson V5i inside) and LOVE them but wondering if I'd be even happier with an IEMatch in the chain....

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #642 of 786
If you have a PP8, the synergy with the Astell & Kern SR15 is something special. The somewhat too forward upper mids/low treble is somehow much more tolerable for long term listening and the soundstage is exceptional. Highly recommended.

Mar 3, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #643 of 786
Have always loved the PP8 sound and fit but never lifted it in my priorities rankings due to my personal bias against the matte black (ultra boring) aesthetics......

'Nuf said, when I saw the stunning new FULL wooden shell in flesh (not just faceplates for gods sake) and given the lengthy production times of the PP8 means they are more often than not backordered despite having been rolled out for a couple of years already, I just have to get a pair. And while I kinda think the new wooden versions would be without the switches, I got my pair WITH switches from my local dealer. So, all is good except my wallet.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #645 of 786
Have always loved the PP8 sound and fit but never lifted it in my priorities rankings due to my personal bias against the matte black (ultra boring) aesthetics......

'Nuf said, when I saw the stunning new FULL wooden shell in flesh (not just faceplates for gods sake) and given the lengthy production times of the PP8 means they are more often than not backordered despite having been rolled out for a couple of years already, I just have to get a pair. And while I kinda think the new wooden versions would be without the switches, I got my pair WITH switches from my local dealer. So, all is good except my wallet.

Wondering if there will be also the S version in wooden shells.. ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back