New Inear Prophile-8
Nov 7, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #601 of 786
Hi Everyone,

New (and very happy) owner here with two questions:

1) Though I am delighted with my PP8s I'm not 100% sure I'm getting the same exact experience that I did when I demoed them. What are your collective thoughts on burn-in for these?
2) Tips! Are spinfits the best match? If so, are there different types of spinfit (like there are different types of Comply) and is there a specific size (of bore) which is ideal? Or are different tips also worth considering?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 7, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #602 of 786
Hi Everyone,

New (and very happy) owner here with two questions:

1) Though I am delighted with my PP8s I'm not 100% sure I'm getting the same exact experience that I did when I demoed them. What are your collective thoughts on burn-in for these?
2) Tips! Are spinfits the best match? If so, are there different types of spinfit (like there are different types of Comply) and is there a specific size (of bore) which is ideal? Or are different tips also worth considering?

Thanks in advance!
Hi, congrats for your purchase!

The PP8 is very tip dependent. I recommend the Ortofon tips for best comfortable fit and the Spiral Dots for best (open and clear) sound.
Normally there should be no burn in effect with BAs. Also check if you have got the same switch setting you had when you demoed them (neutral vs. slightly v-shaped)

Nov 7, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #603 of 786
Yes wooden shells with probably hardcoded combinations of switches. Let's see.

This is like the Apple way of "upgrading". Add some things, but take others away. I've been eyeing the PP8 for some time. Although I probably wouldn't have really made use of the switch, it's nice to have this option. Other than the option of the wooden shell, this doesn't seem to benefit the consumer in any way.

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #604 of 786
Hi, congrats for your purchase!

The PP8 is very tip dependent. I recommend the Ortofon tips for best comfortable fit and the Spiral Dots for best (open and clear) sound.
Normally there should be no burn in effect with BAs. Also check if you have got the same switch setting you had when you demoed them (neutral vs. slightly v-shaped)

Thanks so much for the info! I tried the Spiral Dots (which I relied on when I used the LZ A4s) but I wasn't keen on the sound. Amazing how perception and ideals of sound vary from one listener to another!!! I'll probably give them another go just to make sure. I have Spinfits on order and will be interested to hear how they pair. Currently using the larger of the medium tips included with the PP8s - having tried everything else I have (many!) this resulted in the best sound (though not the best comfort!)

Yes, I checked the switches (but good to double check!!) - all my demoing was done with both switches off.
Thanks for clarifying that there's no need to burn in BAs :)

I am really loving these IEMs. I'm now hearing a very clear difference in quality of engineering/production/mastering of different tracks - much more apparent than before the PP8s.
These things are amazing!!

Nov 9, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #605 of 786
Well, just for the record (in the hopes of saving someone else some money) the spinfits were a waste of time (and cash). Very comfortable, which was great, but the higher frequencies took a hit. I might possibly have been able to compromise (I doubt it, but it might have been possible) but with that drop in detail came a complete destruction of the stunning staging - part of the reason I fell in love with the PP8s. I had read in a review that this was a perfect match - really not.

When I demoed them at CanJam, the ear tips they used were black silicone with colored stems. I might try to find an email address for InEars and ask which tips they had that weekend.
Currently, for sound, the provided tips are the best for me. Just need to improve comfort.....

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #606 of 786
Continuing my fascinating "tips quest" - I read an interesting piece online (on an individual site but I think it was a fellow head-fier who wrote it) about tip selection.
One of the points they made, that I have never previously encountered, was the idea that not only do different IEMs play best with different tips, but also a different size tip may be beneficial.
So I tried the small size Spinfits (usually I would be M or ML). Wow, completely different, much closer to the "stock" sound. Sadly, still a difference (very slight) and less comfortable than stock tips for me!!

Wish I had some small Spiral Dots around but I only have medium-large. Can't bring myself to ask the missus to order me a set of small SDs on the chance they might be "the ones" - she's been very understanding about the big purchase and then the following spinfits. I think she might be at her limit though!

Nov 15, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #607 of 786
A question to owners of these lovely things:

Running them from an XD-05, I sometimes hear a grainy effect on mid/upper mid/lower treble - kind of similar to distortion but not exactly the same. I've been tip-swapping a fair bit and this seems to have some impact. I've reduced the volume of my source (Fiio X5iii). I can't figure out if it's a fault of many recordings which I'm only now able to discern, or if I'm pushing the earphones too far (I listen at pretty low volume, only occasionally going a little louder) or if maybe the grain is an intentional texture which is being emphasised. This is not something I have encountered on HE400i or UM Macbeth.

I'm sorry to be so vague - like I say, sometimes it's prevalent, sometimes it's not. I think it comes and goes irrespective of the track but I'm not 100% sure.

Have any of you encountered this? Or from reading my sloppy description of experience, do you know what might be going on? Is there a chance that the amp (despite low volume - I'm talking about 1 or 2 o'clock where 12 is the off position) is somewhat overkill? Is it my ears?!?!?

Nov 15, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #608 of 786

Running them from an XD-05, I sometimes hear a grainy effect on mid/upper mid/lower treble - kind of similar to distortion but not exactly the same. I've been tip-swapping a fair bit and this seems to have some impact. I've reduced the volume of my source (Fiio X5iii). I can't figure out if it's a fault of many recordings which I'm only now able to discern, or if I'm pushing the earphones too far (I listen at pretty low volume, only occasionally going a little louder) or if maybe the grain is an intentional texture which is being emphasised. This is not something I have encountered on HE400i or UM Macbeth.

I'm sorry to be so vague - like I say, sometimes it's prevalent, sometimes it's not. I think it comes and goes irrespective of the track but I'm not 100% sure.

Have any of you encountered this? Or from reading my sloppy description of experience, do you know what might be going on? Is there a chance that the amp (despite low volume - I'm talking about 1 or 2 o'clock where 12 is the off position) is somewhat overkill? Is it my ears?!?!?

Try a different source and see if that is the cause. basically check each components in your chain (from file to earphone). I don't hear anything like you are describing with PP8. I suspect it maybe due to your source. I had a Fiio X7 and had all sorts of distortion (interference) when near phones or similar devices.

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #609 of 786

Yes they are a bit hot at 5-6khz even though it's not sibilant. It mainly depends on the track you listen to but if it's already harsh then it would be emphasized by the pp8. That's the nature of their sound signature.some folks are more sensitive to upper mids and treble. f.e It was bothering to me when listening to weezer - hash pipe.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #610 of 786
@headwhacker and @ForceMajeure - Thanks so much for the guidance. I'll set some time aside and do some proper testing, swapping out different elements in the chain. I'll also try to find some albums which never exhibit the graininess. So far, I think Dirty Computer (Janelle Monae) is safe.
Really appreciate the feedback, thank you both :)

Nov 17, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #611 of 786
For those who have been using these for a longer period of time, what are you thoughts on the build quality? I've been told that earlier batches were more prone to have the shell cracking. Has it been corrected?

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #612 of 786
For those who have been using these for a longer period of time, what are you thoughts on the build quality? I've been told that earlier batches were more prone to have the shell cracking. Has it been corrected?
as far as I know there has been a problem with the glue, but only with the first 20 IEMs produced. It was then corrected, so you should be fine :wink:

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #614 of 786
So I had at last the chance to get an audition of the PP8... and was *very* impressed.

First the fit is superb really close to CIEM fit with a material that is very very nice to touch kudos InEar. A very linear IEM, with both switch off a reference tuning that is in no way boring it's much more musical than I expected. Very very natural and non fatiguing. I love the bass on the PP8, even with the switch off you get great extension (very nice subs), a lot of detail and just the right amount of mid bass to keep things fun. The switch on bring a bit more kick but it's not overdone. Same goes for the treble switch InEar went for a more conservative boost than say the Flamenco with its switches. Switches are more a fine tuning of sort than a signature switch for me. I was very impressed by the PP8 and could get one eventually if a good deal pops up (anyone :wink: ?). Isolation is top notch as well, but comfort is just amazing really.

I could certainly use those has the reference IEM, a great reference point especially for reviews...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back