New Inear Prophile-8
Sep 11, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #586 of 786
Soon to be new PP8 owner here.
Only reason I would want to change the cable is because I'm not a big fan of memory wire (unpopular opinion, I don't think that cables change the sound unless they are extremely poorly made).
But we'll see, maybe I get used to it again after almost 2 years of having a cable without it.
I already tried the PP8 for an extended period a while ago and the stock tips seem to work pretty well with my ears. Will probably buy some Spinfits though, just out of curiosity.

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #587 of 786
No reason to change cable at all. No 'improvement' will happen, just unwanted equalisation, which destroy intended signature.
Any sort of silicone tips will do the job - from my experience, for long listening sessions the best in terms of comfort (very soft) are Ortofon siicone tips : https://www.ortofon.com/silicone-eartips-set-p-577

Thanks, I'll give them a try!

Soon to be new PP8 owner here.
Only reason I would want to change the cable is because I'm not a big fan of memory wire (unpopular opinion, I don't think that cables change the sound unless they are extremely poorly made).
But we'll see, maybe I get used to it again after almost 2 years of having a cable without it.
I already tried the PP8 for an extended period a while ago and the stock tips seem to work pretty well with my ears. Will probably buy some Spinfits though, just out of curiosity.
About memory wire: is it possible to remove it without destroying the cable?

I also wouldn't change the cable except I'd need a balanced termination. Speeking of which: Has anyone tried the PP8 in balanced mode?

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #588 of 786
About memory wire: is it possible to remove it without destroying the cable?

I also wouldn't change the cable except I'd need a balanced termination. Speeking of which: Has anyone tried the PP8 in balanced mode?
Surgery scalpel + extremely steady hands.
Good luck.

Another unpopular opinion: Balanced mode does nothing with IEMs.

Sep 12, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #589 of 786
I found out that I like PP8 on the stock cable the most too.
I tried 1960s on PP8. Some are improved and some are totally changed (and I am not sure I like them).
At one point, I changed back to Stock cable and feel this is the sound that I want.
PP8 with stock cable is very good on its own.

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #593 of 786
Yes wooden shells with probably hardcoded combinations of switches. Let's see.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #596 of 786
Ah I see, the new versions are without switches. One combination is the neutral setting. The other is V-shaped.
I didn't find the switches significant enough difference. I think it's because the over-powering upper-mids. If they can change the level of the upper-mids with switches, that would be something.

For iems I find that there should be a different target curve. Somewhere around 4-6k should be toned down a bit IMO.

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #597 of 786
Same price as the normal PP8. So you lose the switches, but get the nice wood shells...

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #599 of 786
I didn't find the switches significant enough difference. I think it's because the over-powering upper-mids. If they can change the level of the upper-mids with switches, that would be something.

For iems I find that there should be a different target curve. Somewhere around 4-6k should be toned down a bit IMO.
You should speak with the In-Ear team about your idea! :)
As the PP8 is very tip dependent I felt that only with the Spiral Dots the upper mids were (with some albums) a tiny bit too much. But the vocals came beautifully forward.

With the Ortofon tips (that are, by the way, the most comfortable) I didn’t hear any overpowering at all. But for sure it’s also a DAP pairing thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back