New Inear Prophile-8
Feb 24, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #706 of 786
Good to know, could you please tell us what cheap SPC cable you are using, and whether it is balanced, or keeps soundstage as it is?

It's a balanced Tripowin Zonie (16 core SPC) cable I picked off of Drop a little while back for some CCA C12s I had around at the time. I ended up running a converter from balanced to standard 3.5 into the DTR1, since it doesn't have a balanced port (not sure if you need one to be honest).

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #707 of 786
It's a balanced Tripowin Zonie (16 core SPC) cable I picked off of Drop a little while back for some CCA C12s I had around at the time. I ended up running a converter from balanced to standard 3.5 into the DTR1, since it doesn't have a balanced port (not sure if you need one to be honest).
This cable is seriously cheap, it would be a great bargain if it keeps the sound same as the stock cable! I would need it to run balanced off the AMP4s of my DX220, which has an excellent sound signature of its own...

Feb 24, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #708 of 786
This cable is seriously cheap, it would be a great bargain if it keeps the sound same as the stock cable! I would need it to run balanced off the AMP4s of my DX220, which has an excellent sound signature of its own...

Just to give you a heads up, you can probably buy the stock Plastics1 cable for around the same price. There is nothing fancy about the stock one outside of build quality. Even InEar advertises HanSound cables on their site as upgrades/accessories, I'd be all for getting a Redcore myself, but it looks like they are only for Singapore market. And just to mention it, I wouldn't be seeking any improvement in sound, the cable itself is well built and looks great/durable.

Feb 25, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #709 of 786
Just to give you a heads up, you can probably buy the stock Plastics1 cable for around the same price. There is nothing fancy about the stock one outside of build quality. Even InEar advertises HanSound cables on their site as upgrades/accessories, I'd be all for getting a Redcore myself, but it looks like they are only for Singapore market. And just to mention it, I wouldn't be seeking any improvement in sound, the cable itself is well built and looks great/durable.

Thanks, am just looking for cheap options to use my balanced amps on the DX220, from the looks of it, this should fit the bill! only 13 GBP on Amazon UK.

Feb 26, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #711 of 786
Has anyone compared the Promission X to the Prophile 8? The very few comparisons I have seen mention that the Promission is much warmer, and possibly not as detailed as the Prophile 8, but with a larger soundstage. Does it ring true, and would the Prophile 8 still be the best choice for genres such as classical?

Headflux.de overview has a comparison http://headflux.de/inear-promission-x/

Feb 26, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #712 of 786
Headflux.de overview has a comparison http://headflux.de/inear-promission-x/

Thanks, from my shaky Google Translate text, I get the impression that Prophile is much more neutral, and is probably better suited for classical music. I want to steer away from warm signatures, have two of the best DD earphones (IE800S and Xelento), want to try something different!

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #714 of 786
Not sure if this is the right place for purchance advice but I'm looking for a upgrade to the form 1.1 and ath-E70 and I was pointed to the PP8 as a potential endgame iem. Personally I'm more of a headphone guy but I value detailed slightly above neutural bass, clean vocals that are not hyped significantly and a slightly recessed and smooth trebble. Do you folks think that fits the PP8?

Apr 20, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #715 of 786
Not sure if this is the right place for purchance advice but I'm looking for a upgrade to the form 1.1 and ath-E70 and I was pointed to the PP8 as a potential endgame iem. Personally I'm more of a headphone guy but I value detailed slightly above neutural bass, clean vocals that are not hyped significantly and a slightly recessed and smooth trebble. Do you folks think that fits the PP8?

The pp8 does seem to fit your requirement. It is very detailed and neutral even now I consider these as one of the best neutral iem on the market. I would also recommend trying the pears sh3 if possible. I found them to be pretty similar and it cost slightly less than the inears.

Apr 20, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #716 of 786
The pp8 does seem to fit your requirement. It is very detailed and neutral even now I consider these as one of the best neutral iem on the market. I would also recommend trying the pears sh3 if possible. I found them to be pretty similar and it cost slightly less than the inears.
Thanks alot for the advice will check out the sh3. Actually its better because i can demo the the sh3 while i would have to blind buy the PP8. Hopefully next month when the lockdown ends.

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #717 of 786
I'd never buy such an expensive headphone without return but if i had to choose one it would be this. It's the only high end audio gear that i would describe as a great price performance ratio. In terms of pure audio quality it sounds better than every other headphone i tried so far. The switches for bass and treble make it more versatile so you have 4 different sound signatures to choose from which makes it harder to dislike. Tip rolling also makes a huge difference and some tips really sound like it's a completely new headphone. Same goes with sources. I think because it's so neutral. It works well with the home setup but also good with smaller sources like a LG G8. So in overall price performance ratio it's one of the best endgames you get i think. Since i have it i don't even think about other IEMs.

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #718 of 786
I'd never buy such an expensive headphone without return but if i had to choose one it would be this. It's the only high end audio gear that i would describe as a great price performance ratio. In terms of pure audio quality it sounds better than every other headphone i tried so far. The switches for bass and treble make it more versatile so you have 4 different sound signatures to choose from which makes it harder to dislike. Tip rolling also makes a huge difference and some tips really sound like it's a completely new headphone. Same goes with sources. I think because it's so neutral. It works well with the home setup but also good with smaller sources like a LG G8. So in overall price performance ratio it's one of the best endgames you get i think. Since i have it i don't even think about other IEMs.

This. Absolutely every bit of it.

Apr 22, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #719 of 786
Its never about price to performance ratio once you start hitting the kilodoller mark I think. If I was looking at price to performance ratio I really doubt that the PP8 would beat the E70. That being said I would still like to do my due diligence in researching options before getting one if I'm blind buying it. I'm looking at potential instant regret iems like z1r that everyone prases but has a very disagreeable sound sig to my ears.

Btw in regards to the PP8 is it sensitive to cable swaps? Its the one downfall of the E70 I find. Change the cable to 3rd party ones and instantly the E70 sounds different in a bad way.

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #720 of 786
Its never about price to performance ratio once you start hitting the kilodoller mark I think.

And here I would respectfully disagree :) When I first heard the PP8s it was at CanJam and having been absolutely wowed by them I proceeded to listen to top tier offerings from many other big names - notably 64Audio Tia Fourte and U18 (I believe it was the U18) as well as Legend Ears and a slew of others. Despite a CONSIDERABLY increase in price, none of the others presented the same combination of excellence that the PP8s did to my ears. Some came close but in the end, the Prophiles set the bar.

Everybody gushes about these well known, high-priced IEMs and, of course, they're very good. But for me (again, this is subjective) the PP8s offered more for less (though obviously this is an awful lot of money to spend on IEMs). And that DID play a part in my decision. Not only was I buying the best set I had heard but I was also confident that I would not be lusting after something higher up the scale in years to come.

The only things I've heard which pulled ahead of the PP8s are the JH Audio Layla or Lola (can't remember) but that was quite some time ago, I haven't had a chance to re-listen and they were more than double the already high price.

If a buyer is considering going all out for end-game gear and they hear a $1000 set which out-perform those at $1500 or $1800 I really do think that does factor in and, in the twisted world of audiophiles, mean that the Prophiles actually represent a bargain. I would add a cheeky "Well that's what I tell myself and the wife, anyway" except that honestly, I love these things so much and am so frequently blown away (again and again) by their ability that I feel they were worth every penny. It's one thing to drop a ton of cash on gear and know that you shouldn't read about new releases for a while. It's quite another when you realise that you have the only set you'll need and don't feel the pull of novel delights anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back