New IEMs from Monoprice - Hi-Fi Reflective Sound Technology Earphones
Jan 14, 2015 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Zenbun

100+ Head-Fier

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082709&p_id=12237&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082709&p_id=12235&seq=1&format=2

Did anyone try them? if so how are they?
Is this "Reflective Sound Technology" legit or just a marketing gimmick?

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 20
i posted about these in the Discovery thread, I like them quite a bit!  They seem to be a re brand of the NuForce NE 600x...

Monoprice did it again! The new budget champ?

Monoprice inverted driver (item #s:12235-12238): ~$14. Comes in 4 colors

Thanks to dsnuts, I think most of us know about the Monprice 8320 (as well as its adjacent models) and its status here. So, could their brand new offering out do the "legend"?

These intrigued me because of the inverted driver technology. The dynamic driver faces out away from the ear and sound reflects off an acoustic baffle, then back to the ear for a "natural" sound. Sounds like a gimmick right? (Bose Acoustimass anyone?). It's not groundbreaking technology, there are a few other companies offering backwards drivers and even Sony does a "parallel" driver arrangement on their hybrids and ex series. Another interesting note: they look like a rebranded Zagg ZR-Six, which sells for $60! So, for about a fifth of that cost, I had to see what they were all about... And I was floored!

Let's get right to the sound!

First listen, straight out of iPhone 6 Plus:
Wow, nice wide stage, good placement, decent separation. Definitely enhanced bass, but I am glad that it seems to be more sub bass. Man, it reaches deep too; awesome for Daft Punk's Tron soundtrack and Hans Zimmer's Dark Knight Rises score! Very nice impact and rumble. The orchestra arrangements are wide and clear, the horns have bite, the synthesizers have some edge... Ya know, this is reminding me of my Kef m200 (will compare later).

After a few listens:

Bass is elevated, powerful, yet still decent quality. Not the quickest, maybe a little bleed into lower mids, but not much honestly. It is more subwoofer type bass, low and thunderous when called for. It still presents detail like slaps and plucks from bass strings, and a bassoon sounds great.

Mids are not scooped out! Actually right up front and clear. Vocals are very nice, not distant or back at all. Electric guitars have good tone, attack, crunch, chug, etc... Snare hits have a nice crack when called for, and still enough detail for brushes and "fatter" sounding snares. As mentioned before, horns have a little bite to them, strings sound pretty good too. Not a ton of detail, but way more than a sub $15 earphone should have!

Highs are clear, a touch of sparkle, missing some air, but really no complaining at this price. Cymbals have a nice shimmer, high hats have some sizzle. Non fatiguing, no unpleasant spikes or harshness present.

Wide stage! Not very deep, but has decent height and good separation.

Fit is quite amazing! Just using the included medium tips, they just pop in and "melt" away. They also include a small and a large pair for your basic tip set. The housings are very light too, which contributes to a virtually perfect fit for my ears. The only reason they become noticeable is due to the horrible microphonics; they transfer a lot of energy to the housings. Wearing them over ear helps with this quite a bit, and if you can find a spare shirt clip somewhere, that should pretty much eliminate the problem.

Now, the isolation on these are spectacular! I barely heard the loud television in the same room. This is gonna be a huge win for me, as I plan on using these while cutting grass and plowing snow. These are also very immersive for gaming. That visceral bass along with the great isolation make for some intense gaming sessions.

The cable is flat, thin, and does seem cheap to me. I do like the right angle connector and it is gold plated. Mic/remote works fine, good location, and has a nice click. It lacks a volume control, is not robust, but this is not a big concern for me.

Overall, the MP Inverts are a winner! Now, I do not own some of the budget heros from Sony, Havi, Ostry, or JVC, but I can offer a few notes:
- they destroy the Apple earpods that are included with iPhones
- they trump the Monoprice 8320 in mostly every way (but cost a few bucks more too). The bass will be a bit much for some, but no graininess in the upper mids/lower treble . The fit is no contest, a known weakness of the 8320.
- Klipsch s4i is a good fight, but these win again. Better bass, and no treble spike or sibilance that the s4 occasionally presents.
- Sennheiser cx300 (first model) is a good fight too, but there is better clarity and a wider stage on the MP inverts. There is more mid presence as well as top end, so they win here for me.

I think a nice way to describe these are a budget Kef m200. The MP inverts do have a much better fit, but thats the only win it will get. The m200 presents a better overall refinement from top to bottom, but these do a great impression of the Kef. So, I think these are a stellar bargain! They could be a great starter for one's headfi journey, a nice backup, or an awesome "beater" set, which is what I am slotting them for. Try them out and get inverted!

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 20
No sweat Zenbun :thumbsup: thats why i thought i would throw ljokerl's recommendation up. If THE man on IEMs thought they were a top recommendation, i figured thats a good place to start!
Here's to the headfi journey :beers:

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 20
I have these and the Nuforce Ne600X. They look exactly the same except for the Monoprice logo on the remote. The Monoprice seem to be a bit tighter bass wise and overall. Maybe it's because I've used them less than the Nuforce. They're my favorite IEMs by a lot. They've replaced my Philips She3580 as my dailies. They are the closest headphones I've ever heard to giving a big speaker sound, better than most on ears I've heard.

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 20
Any opinions on durability/build-quality from those who actually have these in-hand?  I am looking for a pair of cheap IEMs for things like watching YouTube & Amazon Prime video on my laptop.  I don't have expectations of hi-fi sound, but durability is a big need fo rme because even at this cheap price, I dislike having to buy new every few months (I've gone through 2 pairs of Klipsh S4 & my Senn CX300 II, which were purportedly built like tanks, are making crackling sounds when I move my head).

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 20
I'll offer how I've used em...
I dont use a case or a pouch, just coil up and throw in a pocket. Pretty much stay in my winter coat as I use them for shoveling snow and outdoor activity.
Going on 3 months now and so far so good!
My s4 has separated at strain relief, and my cx300 got yellow (they were white). I have these in white too, so time will tell....

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 20
I was very very impressive at beginning. The amazing thing is its bass are so strong, but the bass does not intrude mid.! But after a few days listening, I have no interest in it any longer. The main problem for me is its soundstage. Its sound is too congested! It might be ok for many songs. But I almost only listen to classical, mostly symphony and orchestra. It's useless. Moreover, the bass is too much!! I cannot live without bass, but I still think it has too much bass!
But for the price, it's a great deal! Excellent build quality! This earphones boast its detail and clear of whole frequency range. I'm very impressive of its detail!

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 20
Here's a review of the Nuforce NE-600X. Since these are exactly the same, just a rebrand, this review pretty much covers everything. :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626528/nuforce-ne-600x-review

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #12 of 20
My vintage, close-out Senn CX200's finally started to peter out in one channel, so in a renewed urgency for budget hifi, I got these Reflectives (on sale for $3.99!!!) after reading their many superlatives.

I tried them (in order of increasing better results) on my zip clip, old HTC Beats phone, and low end laptop.

They sounded loud and impressive, but the bass seemed overpowering (much, much more so than the funky, cult-following Monoprice "enhanced bass" 8320's) and they seemed to bleed into and overpower the mids and highs. I started tinkering with EQ on the laptop to get an unsatisfactory, artificial balance.

Then, on a whim, I finally tried them in the very last last item I ever wanted to use as a DAP - my memory-crunched, 16gb iPhone 5s. I never even fooled with the music app or iTunes on it, so I just played some mid-to-hi-fi mp3s thru my GDrive app. I wasn't expecting much from this AT ALL, (particularly after reading the earlier iPhones had nicer DAC chip).

!!!!!! HOLY CRAP !!!!!!!!

These plugs were MADE for this iPhone!!! Absolutely one of my most exhilarating hi-fi experiences ever! I couldn't stop re-listening to old tunes I've already played to death because I kept hearing new things in them!

I'm SOLD!!! I will be scooping up some for all my friends next time they go on $3.99 sale. (tho if I had paid $50-$100 for these, I'd still consider them worth it!)
(I'm now also a full believer in the proper paring of cans to players.  Monoprice Reflectives + iPhone 5s + 320 mp3 Beck Sea Change = Audio BLISS)

Aug 11, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #13 of 20
I feel like the Crypt Keeper, resurrecting this thread...

But I see that MP is just starting to ship two new hybrids:
Quartet (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38371)
383715.jpg

The Monoprice Quad In-Ear Earphones feature 8 total drivers and offer superior sound reproduction. Two balanced armatures and two dynamic drivers per ear piece deliver exceptional clarity and sonic detail, with deep bass and a smooth midrange. The lightweight aluminum housing is ergonomically designed for maximum comfort.

Four Drivers
Outstanding Clarity. Intricate Detail.
Two balanced armatures and a two separate dynamic drivers deliver outstanding audio performance with huge dynamics and crystal clear sound.

Aluminum Housing
The in-ear monitor housing is made of lightweight aluminum and has been designed to fit snugly in your ear and be comfortable for long listening sessions. The housing is both ergonomic and engineered for premium acoustic performance.

Full Specs

Drivers: 2 Balanced Armature, 2 Dynamic
Frequency Response: 20Hz-40Khz
Impedance: 15 Ohm
Sensitivity: 105dB
Cable Length: 1.2 Meters
Connector: 3.5mm
Pin Type: 0.78mm
Weight: 25grams

Quintet (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38370)
383705.jpg

The Monoprice Quintet In Ear Earphones feature 10 total drivers and offer superior sound reproduction. Three balanced armatures and two dynamic drivers per ear piece deliver exceptional clarity and sonic detail, with deep bass and a smooth midrange. The lightweight aluminum housing is ergonomically designed for maximum comfort.

Five Drivers (3 BA + 2 DD = 4?)
Outstanding Clarity. Intricate Detail.
Three balanced armatures and a two separate dynamic drivers deliver outstanding audio performance with huge dynamics and crystal clear sound.

Aluminum Housing
The in ear monitor housing is made of lightweight aluminum and has been designed to fit snugly in your ear and be comfortable for long listening sessions. The housing is both ergonomic and engineered for premium acoustic performance.

Full Specs
Drivers: 3 Balanced Armature, 2 Dynamic
Frequency Response: 20Hz-40Khz
Impedance: 22 Ohm
Sensitivity: 95dB
Cable Length: 1.2 Meters
Connector: 3.5mm
Pin Type: 0.78mm
Weight: 25grams

I get the feeling that the descriptor was replicated, between the two models
Out of nostalgia for the MP80 (which were my 1st foray into aftermarket earphones for my phone), I figured I would take a flier and order them. Fingers crossed

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back