New IEM for around 200
May 23, 2017 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

MetalheadGeek

Head-Fier
I’m searching for new IEMs, mostly for work usage. I’ve been reading reviews for months and the choices or just overwhelming. Without being able hear any of these and having limited cross reference to my current IEMs I’m hoping for some guidance in narrowing down my choice.

I like a detailed but warm sound with good weight to the bottom end. I have tinnitus so any emphasis on the upper mid or treble I cannot tolerate. Musical choice is mostly hard rock/heavy metal.

Comfort must be all day wear with easy insertion/removal. No preference for over or straight down style.

Source will be a Cayin N3 and recordings are mostly FLAC with some high quality mp3s.

My current IEMs are the Thinksound TS02. With a better soundstage and more detail they would be darn near perfect.

Wired or AptX wireless are an option.

Models I’m considering but certainly not limiting myself to:
  • RHA 750
  • RHA T20
  • V-moda Metal Forza
  • Meze 12 classic
  • 1more triple
  • 1more quad
  • Shure SE315
  • BeoPlay H3
  • Trinity Audio Master
  • Echobox Traveler T1 – Not release yet but Echobox says it will suite my taste after I inquired about their Finder X1.
  • Shure SE215
  • Sennheiser IE80
  • Sony MDR 7550 - Non standard connector
  • LZ A4
[Updated based on Feedback. Now focusing on an IEM with removal cables. ]

Thank you for the assistance

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 30
That list does seem intriguing. It seems like you are looking for a warm pair of in ears. How about the Sennheiser IE80. It's currently going for around $206 on Amazon. I would also throw in the Sony MDR 7550 if you would like an open soundstage and balance sound, although it does lack noise isolation.:)

May 23, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 30
My usual advice : get a model with a detachable cable so you can change it when the jack wears out, or an affordable model that you can buy again easily. Out of the list I only know the 1More Triple, which are brilliant for metal.

May 23, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 30
My usual advice : get a model with a detachable cable so you can change it when the jack wears out, or an affordable model that you can buy again easily. Out of the list I only know the 1More Triple, which are brilliant for metal.
Sorry if this is not related to the thread, but just wondering, how are the Sony XBA-40s. I've been looking at it on Amazon recently and it is price around $130.

May 23, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 30
Sorry if this is not related to the thread, but just wondering, how are the Sony XBA-40s. I've been looking at it on Amazon recently and it is price around $130.

for 130$ its a steal, these came out at 300-400$. They are awesome, really. Very analytical , incredibly detailed, the trebles are excellent, the mid is great (the 4Khz freq is somewhat over presented) but the voices and other instruments could sound more "natural". They have quad BA drivers with one dedicated to the sub bass so they can go lower than anything I have heard before and since, but the bass is tight and not over represented.

The fit is good, you can wear them for hours but there is no detachable cable and I was salty when my jack wore out after a couple years of intense use. I wanted initially to buy another pair but from europe I had to import them from HK or japan and it was very expensive. I was lucky to find a pair on XBA-300's on this very forum for 170€ so I went for that, they are also awesome. Note that the BA lineup has a varying impedance that can go up to 90 ohms depending on the frequency, so it's wise to have an amplified source.

Hope that helps.

May 23, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #6 of 30
for 130$ its a steal, these came out at 300-400$. They are awesome, really. Very analytical , incredibly detailed, the trebles are excellent, the mid is great (the 4Khz freq is somewhat over presented) but the voices and other instruments could sound more "natural". They have quad BA drivers with one dedicated to the sub bass so they can go lower than anything I have heard before and since, but the bass is tight and not over represented.

The fit is good, you can wear them for hours but there is no detachable cable and I was salty when my jack wore out after a couple years of intense use. I wanted initially to buy another pair but from europe I had to import them from HK or japan and it was very expensive. I was lucky to find a pair on XBA-300's on this very forum for 170€ so I went for that, they are also awesome. Note that the BA lineup has a varying impedance that can go up to 90 ohms depending on the frequency, so it's wise to have an amplified source.

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much for the reply. Yeah I agree it's a definite steal the current price it's going for. Although I'm going to have to import it from Japan, the price is fortunately quite cheap. I checked on the XBA-40's specs and it states that the impedance is rated at 8 ohms. I will definitely keep an eye out for the XBA-40 and purchase it in the future. But for now my eyes are set on the XBA-A3.

May 23, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #7 of 30
Thank you very much for the reply. Yeah I agree it's a definite steal the current price it's going for. Although I'm going to have to import it from Japan, the price is fortunately quite cheap. I checked on the XBA-40's specs and it states that the impedance is rated at 8 ohms. I will definitely keep an eye out for the XBA-40 and purchase it in the future. But for now my eyes are set on the XBA-A3.

The rated impedance is a 1Khz if I remember correctly, as you can see in the picture below it varies widely with frequency.

d4c6010858a5899afd1b3e6912800883.png

At first I was using the XBA-40 on my phone, until I went back to japan and got to try them with an amp inbetween, and the difference was so obvious I had to get an amp of my own (I was dubious with the utility of an amp and thougt it was all gimmick at the time). I got a FiiO E11K which served me well (it really opened the xbA-40) until I got the Fiio X5-3 which drives the xba-300 just fine.

The first time I heard music on this DAP I felt stupid sticking to my xperia smartphones so long, even with an amp. The difference in sound quality was obvious right from the start. My suggestion would be to drop the ipod and get a stand alone DAP. I am not convinced that you need a separated amp with your DAP tho, except if you want to drive 600ohms+ headphones. Usually these DAP are powerful enough to drive all IEM's and most headphones, and if you are not satisfied you can eventually get the AMP afterwards.

May 23, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #8 of 30
The rated impedance is a 1Khz if I remember correctly, as you can see in the picture below it varies widely with frequency.

d4c6010858a5899afd1b3e6912800883.png

At first I was using the XBA-40 on my phone, until I went back to japan and got to try them with an amp inbetween, and the difference was so obvious I had to get an amp of my own (I was dubious with the utility of an amp and thougt it was all gimmick at the time). I got a FiiO E11K which served me well (it really opened the xbA-40) until I got the Fiio X5-3 which drives the xba-300 just fine.

The first time I heard music on this DAP I felt stupid sticking to my xperia smartphones so long, even with an amp. The difference in sound quality was obvious right from the start. My suggestion would be to drop the ipod and get a stand alone DAP. I am not convinced that you need a separated amp with your DAP tho, except if you want to drive 600ohms+ headphones. Usually these DAP are powerful enough to drive all IEM's and most headphones, and if you are not satisfied you can eventually get the AMP afterwards.
Ah I see. I'm just wondering, but is there any major difference between the Sony XBA-4 and XBA-40?

May 23, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 30
the XBA-40 is a polished version of the XBA-4 which had some shortcomings (aggressive treble amongst others), but they are very close.

I can't remember the details but there are numerous threads comparing the two on this very forum.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 30
I’m searching for new IEMs, mostly for work usage. I’ve been reading reviews for months and the choices or just overwhelming. Without being able hear any of these and having limited cross reference to my current IEMs I’m hoping for some guidance in narrowing down my choice.

I like a detailed but warm sound with good weight to the bottom end. I have tinnitus so any emphasis on the upper mid or treble I cannot tolerate. Musical choice is mostly hard rock/heavy metal.

Comfort must be all day wear with easy insertion/removal. No preference for over or straight down style.

Source will be a Cayin N3 and recordings are mostly FLAC with some high quality mp3s.

My current IEMs are the Thinksound TS02. With a better soundstage and more detail they would be darn near perfect.

Wired or AptX wireless are an option.

Models I’m considering but certainly not limiting myself to:
  • RHA 750
  • RHA T20
  • V-moda Metal Forza
  • Meze 12 classic
  • 1more triple
  • 1more quad
  • Shure SE315
  • BeoPlay H3
  • Trinity Audio Master
  • Echobox Traveler T1 – Not release yet but Echobox says it will suite my taste after I inquired about their Finder X1.

Thank you for the assistance

I strongly recommend Magaosi K3 Pro. Save your money and enjoy the warm, detailed, wide sound. If you are insisting to pay 200 USD than look at LZ A4.

By the way I have 1More Triple Driver, and K3 Pro is easily winner of both.

Edit: Sorry I have missed that you did not want over ear design, so K3 Pro is not for you.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #11 of 30
the XBA-40 is a polished version of the XBA-4 which had some shortcomings (aggressive treble amongst others), but they are very close.

I can't remember the details but there are numerous threads comparing the two on this very forum.
Thank you. I will continue to keep the XBA-40 in mind. Right now I'll concentrate on getting the XBA-A3 first.

May 23, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #12 of 30
Thank you. I will continue to keep the XBA-40 in mind. Right now I'll concentrate on getting the XBA-A3 first.

the A3 is nice, I got to try compare them with the XBA-40 when I bought them. The A3 is more punchy in the bass, sounds more natural in general, maybe not as detailed tho, and the over ear fit is clearly not for me. Back then at the store my thought was that they were overpriced (they had just came out and had a nice Hi-Res sticker). If you can have the XBA-40 for 130$ and the A3 for the 300$ there is no contest, the -40 are the best bang for the buck of the two.

May 23, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #13 of 30
the A3 is nice, I got to try compare them with the XBA-40 when I bought them. The A3 is more punchy in the bass, sounds more natural in general, maybe not as detailed tho, and the over ear fit is clearly not for me. Back then at the store my thought was that they were overpriced (they had just came out and had a nice Hi-Res sticker). If you can have the XBA-40 for 130$ and the A3 for the 300$ there is no contest, the -40 are the best bang for the buck of the two.
That is true. The XBA-40 at $130 os stupidly great value. The XBA-A3 is just more rare for some reason, and I would like to get it before they all disappear. I missed my chance with the XBA-H3, but I won't do so with the XBA A3. We can both agree though that the XBA-Z5 is quite overpriced considering it's apparently marginally better than the A3 but costs way more.

May 23, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 30
I strongly recommend Magaosi K3 Pro. Save your money and enjoy the warm, detailed, wide sound. If you are insisting to pay 200 USD than look at LZ A4.

By the way I have 1More Triple Driver, and K3 Pro is easily winner of both.

Edit: Sorry I have missed that you did not want over ear design, so K3 Pro is not for you.

Over or down works. Never had an over the ear so I can only assume I'll like it until I try I and don't. I'll research these.

May 23, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #15 of 30
Good points, or get one with a long warranty. HBA offers 3 years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back