New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster"
Aug 27, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #181 of 584
Mini is good enough going by size but does it work? No uarp and external battery mess?
Say the word and make my day

I actually have no idea if it works. Sorry about that. It just seemed like a nice footprint for the HA-2.

I know it does support USB OTG according to some posts on XDA but was unable to find out if it supports USB Audio. You might want to ask somebody on those forums. 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3-mini

That is, unless somebody here knows??

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #182 of 584
Mini is good enough going by size but does it work? No uarp and external battery mess?
Say the word and make my day

While the full-sized Galaxy S3 & S4 support OTG USB, the Mini's do not. I also own an S4 Mini and USB OTG is for sure not supported on it and I would also assume the same to be true for the S3 Mini.

My stock S4 supports USB OTG to all my DAC/Amps, but it is best to use one that you can turn off the charging so as to preserve the battery life in your phone. Both my phones are Verizon and have the latest firmware: KitKat for S4 Mini, Lollipop for S4. Other than the USB incompatibility, the Mini is a great little phone, especially with an extended battery. An especially useful feature is the Adapt sound option.

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #183 of 584
I've ordered a D14 from AdvancedMP3Players as they have a site-wide 15% discount for Bank Holiday Weekend.

I am excited as a little boy who can't sleep before Disneyland & cannot wait for it to arrive.

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #184 of 584
  Hi,
 Thanks for the review! I'm thinking to get the D14 to use with my Note 4. But, its for an HD 600 headphone. Would you recommend another one with more power than the 400 mW @32 ohms of the D14?

Specs say 400 +400 mW, thus the D14 should be considered rated at 400 mW or 800 mW?
What's the max output voltage? 

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #187 of 584
This little sweet thing came as a revelation. The more I hear it the more I like it.

Out of the box I had bit trouble using it with my phone. The sound out of the box was still good enough as a upgrade to Fiio x3 first gen, E7, e17k second gen and then Fiio E11 if we are talking about amp section. It betters the Wolfson dac on my K900 and all the smartphones on my signature as well as iphone 6th.

I think this thing is to stay in house for a looong time. Thanks everyone who gave their humble opinion and reviews and especially HiFlight if not of his opinion I would be with different source/Amp today.

Cheers

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #188 of 584
In the recent firmwares from the DX90, I feel that the sound has actually become more forward with DX90, which was a good thing to me as I felt that the vocals were more distant because its slightly more recessed, not because the DX90 has amazing sense of depth. 

Comparing the two, the DX90 sound more in your head, while the D14 presents the sound as being slightly more in front of you than the DX90. So I would say the D14 has a better sense of depth as well in terms of soundstage.

Honestly, if you A/B the two, you can tell the difference between the two, and that the D14 sounds a bit cleaner and better. But when you really spend time with one, then switch to the other, it becomes really apparent that the D14's sound is quite a bit more expansive, has a much more natural sound with better separation as well.

Hope this helps! I don't want to undermine the DX90 as I love the DX90 and use it when I need something truly portable, but its been almost two years, and iBasso has gotten better at what they do!

Hey y'all! I'm late to this party :wink:

A generous headfi'er loaned me his D14, and I wanted to echo these thoughts from Cotnijoe earlier in the thread. The D14 is an absolute beast. I've been trying out several DAC/Amps recently: Calyx PaT, Cayin C5DAC, Cozoy Aegis & Astrapi, and Shanling H3 - and now the D14. They all have their pros & cons.

Right now, I was listening to the same music with Fiio X5, Fiio X5 Coax Out to D14, and DX90 with VE Zen. The X5 + D14 handily beats either standalone DAP in terms of bass texture and punch, vocals presence, and clarity. Sound is vibrant without sounding colored. Soundstage is a better than DX90 and much better than X5.

I hate stacking, though! Hoping DX80 brings its A-game :wink:

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #189 of 584
i am guessing this also has signature. razor sharp ibasso sound which does not match well with ath-im series which i love very much?

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #192 of 584
I'm a little new at this, but I have a question: Aren't you worried about accidently flicking the gain switch to "high" in your pocket while carrying it and listening to music? Is there some protection against this? 

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #193 of 584
I'm a little new at this, but I have a question: Aren't you worried about accidently flicking the gain switch to "high" in your pocket while carrying it and listening to music? Is there some protection against this? 

1. Stacking with this isn't pocket-friendly IMHO. More of a bag-friendly portable solution. Maybe you've got giant pockets?
2. The gain switch is pretty small and is stiff enough that you're not going to switch it accidentally.
3. Unless you're already listening at high levels on low gain, it's not going to blow your ears out if you do accidentally switch it during playback.

Hope that alleviates your concerns :)

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #195 of 584
What's your setup ceemsc?

Coax out from my Fiio X5 gives me 256GB of music, long battery life, and DX90++ sound. Too bad I have to send it back to papa this week :frowning2:

Still charging it up so I've no idea if this will work / how it will sound / how much tweaking is required but I plan to use it in the following chain :

ibasso DX50 Rockboxed DAP Transport -> Ibasso D14 DAC / Pre-amp-> FiiO E12 Main Amp -> Denon AH-D600 headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back